Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2010, 17:08   #46
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
No wonder you are trying to get out of there.

There seems to be too many criminal cases out there.

One that an old friend of mine told me that I kind of liked was, "If you don't attend to the jury duty then you are not allowed to call 911."

PS It ain't fun for me either. I told the judge that I work on call 24/7 and there is no one that covers for me. She didn't care..........
Wow! How did this one get revived. Actually this has long passed. I called and was completely honest. Told them that I didn't live there and that it was only my mailing address. They removed me from the list right over the phone.

Good thing. Because the last thing I need right now is getting called while I'm sitting in the yard spending money I don't have.
Old 13-05-2010, 17:28   #47

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Wow! How did this one get revived. Actually this has long passed. I called and was completely honest. Told them that I didn't live there and that it was only my mailing address. They removed me from the list right over the phone.

Good thing. Because the last thing I need right now is getting called while I'm sitting in the yard spending money I don't have.

WOW Chris.

Dustymc did it and I did not notice a date on the posts.

Happens all the time as I usually start with new posts and whatever is the latest is what is at the top. Last poster listed.

Good thing it wasn't a jury summons!
Old 14-01-2011, 06:18   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Boston cat (feline) called to jury duty

Sal, a cat in Boston, has been called to jury duty even though his owner has insisted to court officials that the cat cannot speak English. Not good enough. The Boston jury commissioner denied the request to excuse Sal from his civic duty.

More ➥ CBC News - World - Boston cat called to jury duty

Old 14-01-2011, 07:04   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
here in California jurors receive a $15 per-day stipend. I would be more than happy to have my cat sit on a jury at that rate.
Old 14-01-2011, 08:16   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Well there's a hung jury in the making. A cat would vote guilty just because everyone else voted innocent. They also act on the premise "guilty until proven innocent" and believe paying attention is for dogs!

Old 14-01-2011, 20:47   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidar View Post
easy dont vote for the next election if you dont vote they cant call you for jury duty. its that easy!
by law they have to pull those on jury duty from those registered voters. so having a drivers lisence some where else shouldnt matter.
this,my dear, is a total falsehood. they CAN call ye if ye dont vote. dont ask me how i know-- i DO know.

as for the cat-- wow --that is coool--- i knew gummint was dummer than dum..wonderif my kat can get a drivers license,,,,,HMMM..
Old 15-01-2011, 07:53   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

Maybe the answer is to move somewhere with a very low crime rate?

no crime = no jury.

Maybe a bit simplistic - but if it is only your shoreside mailing address, does it really matter that you wouldn't want to live there?
Old 15-01-2011, 09:20   #53

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Originally Posted by vidar
easy dont vote for the next election if you dont vote they cant call you for jury duty. its that easy!
by law they have to pull those on jury duty from those registered voters. so having a drivers lisence some where else shouldnt matter.

I have never registered to vote, anywhere... for reasons I will not get into here. However I recieved a notice for Jury Duty in September for a Nov. Date. I wrote back that I would be out of the country from Oct to June and would happily serve between June 1 to Sept 1 .

They were quick to release me from the list. I still do not know how I was called as I was not a registered voter. Motor voter (Registered vehicles) was likely.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
Old 15-01-2011, 09:29   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
From Wikipedia:
... A common method for drafting jurors is to draw them at random from electoral rolls (known as allotment or sortition), lists of licensed drivers [1], or other broad-based lists of residents in the community (e.g., tax rolls, public utility consumers). Increasingly, courts combine multiple lists to compile the master jury list. In the U.S., the most common combination of source-lists is registered voters and licensed drivers — employed in 19 states...

Old 19-09-2018, 07:33   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Jury Duty . . . Yuck !

we were called while out cruising (received notice at our SBI address). Called them and said that we were cruising in Maryland at that point but offered to come back and serve, even to stay with friends or in a hotel. They said thanks but not to worry; they didn't want jurors who were inconvenienced to that level and might be motivated to decide quickly. We assured them that when we were back in town on the boat we'd be honored to serve; they were very nice about it and I suspect it happens often to them.
Old 19-09-2018, 07:46   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Scott, this thread originated in 2009, did you mean to dig up such an old topic?

Pete
Old 19-09-2018, 11:09   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Yes... it came up again on a new thread and I'd meant to link this to it but the link didn't show up and the issue has gained interest since changes in FL law
Old 19-09-2018, 12:32   #58

In America (U.S.A.), if any type of notice/request arrives via regular postal mail that does not require a "signature" (i.e., it is merely just put in your mailbox), then just throw it away in the trash.

Why? Because without a "signature", there is absolutely NO PROOF that you ever received it.

It's pretty simple.

Or, go sit on a jury, if you want to.

Case closed. Law-school 101.

(yawn)
Old 19-09-2018, 14:07   #59

I had a sure fire way of being dismissed a few weeks ago. I explained to the judge during questioning about the 'reasonable doubt' horse$hit that after my discharge from the US Army I joined a local National Guard unit and promptly got called to duty during the prison guard strike of 1980. I got a 16 day all expense paid trip to a maximum security prison in New York. I further explained that they would need to convince me to a Cartesian Certainty before I would render a guilty verdict and have a part in sending someone into that hell. Dismissed. Your results may vary.
Old 19-09-2018, 17:50   #60

The jury system is the only thing that allows law to remotely resemble justice. Presumably 12 rational adults should be able to hear the facts and reach a rational judgment. More and more judges are giving juries instructions suggesting that they MUST ONLY do XXX. Their job is to determine if the defendant broke the law, not to judge weather the law was right or just. These instructions are a perversion of the process. It is the duty of a jury to do whatever they can to see that actual justice is done. If the law is wrong, then a finding of innocent is completely legitimate. In one of the more outrageous miscarriages of justice where I live, a business that was legally licensed by the state to dispense medical marijuana was busted by the DEA, as it is still illegal under federal law. The owner was charged as a drug dealer, and with commission of a felony with a weapon, because he had a hunting rifle on the premises. The jury found him guilty on all counts and he went to prison for an extended term. A classic case where the jury should completely ignore the judge's instructions, but were so awed by his august presence and authority that they stupidly and meekly went along. Just because a law exists does not mean that it should be indiscriminately enforced.
Live aboards are subjected for more and more abuses by local laws..... If you remain at anchor in some localities beyond a specified number of days, they could in theory take your boat. Citizens need to stick together and do what we can to prevent abuse of other citizens by unjust laws and law enforcement. The jury system is one place where you CAN make a difference....... though you probably won't get the chance, and you absolutely won't if you dodge the duty.......... Remember it could be YOU in the dock! We are all no more than one law away from being "criminals", and probably in most cases that law already exists and we don't know about it!

Remember.... When marriage is outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws......

H.W.
Closed Thread