Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-07-2008, 08:34   #1

Is this feasible?

hello everyone,

I am completely new to boating as in never even drove one (well a ski boat and got pulled over first time I did it-another story) anyway, My husband and myself and three children (17,14,9) have begun the process of selling our household items, when we have accomplished this we will put the house on the market, our goal is to purchase a boat and live aboard.
So my concern and question is two-fold ( more like a thousand fold) We are looking at the 53 hat, older model ,1974, wondering approx,cost of maintenance etc..We are looking to purchase wherever one is available in the right condition for a very good price(I know dreaming big ).After purchase we would like to hire a captain to take her and our family to mexico (we would use the trip to learn as much as possible in her handling etc.) We intially will keep her docked as my husband works overseas ( on offshore construction vessels) His schedule is basically a 6 weeks on 3 weeks off rotation. This leaves me the kids and the boat alone for 6 weeks at a time. Though I am confident I can handle this is it really feasible?. Also, we are on a very limited budget. Intial buying moving budget is about 100,000.00. Then about 4000 a month actual living expense. Is a boat this size way beyond that budget range?, Is a boat this size something newbies can handle? Please understand safety is a BIG issue with us ( my husband is a safety guy ) so we would not wish to place anyone in danger by handling this boat without proper instruction.
So, can this be done? am i dreaming way to big?

Any and all advice is very welcome

Thanks in advance,
Shadowdanser
shadowdanser is offline   Reply With Quote