Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2023, 16:59   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Caribbeans: all things must end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
We've cruised the Caribbean twice, once aboard a ragbag, once aboard a trawler. Both cruises lasted 2 1/2 years, our latest cruise is coming to an end in about two weeks when the new owners of our boat move in. For us, it is the end of an era and we're not coming back. We have other things in life that we want to move on to, and do. We don't like crowds and the Caribbean is crowded.

Asking something like this on a forum is kind of a misnomer. We rarely check into this forum, maybe once a year if we get to someplace where there's internet. Back in the old days these forums were kind of like the new version of ham radio for people that had internet. But nowadays you got people on here that maybe been on the forum for 10 years or more and they got 12,000+ posts. You have to ask yourself what these people actually have experience with - cruising the internet, or cruising on a boat?
One can do both these days.. one year I did 20,000nm but still managed to rack up my post count a bit..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 17:39   #17

Re: Caribbeans: all things must end.

Quote:
We've cruised the Caribbean twice, once aboard a ragbag, once aboard a trawler. Both cruises lasted 2 1/2 years, our latest cruise is coming to an end in about two weeks when the new owners of our boat move in. For us, it is the end of an era and we're not coming back. We have other things in life that we want to move on to, and do. We don't like crowds and the Caribbean is crowded.

Asking something like this on a forum is kind of a misnomer. We rarely check into this forum, maybe once a year if we get to someplace where there's internet. Back in the old days these forums were kind of like the new version of ham radio for people that had internet. But nowadays you got people on here that maybe been on the forum for 10 years or more and they got 12,000+ posts. You have to ask yourself what these people actually have experience with - cruising the internet, or cruising on a boat?

: shocked amazement of the uninitiated, that the Caribbean is crowded. Perhaps naive, but I didn’t actually expect that…. I too, appreciate less folk about…. tell me some favorite destinations, for calming bays.
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 21:52   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The Caribbean is a place where you can spend the rest of your life, and many do. This is a very good video and it’s one of my favorite places out there

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 21:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The Caribbean is a place where you can spend the rest of your life, and many do. This is a very good video and it’s one of my favorite places out there

Thank you!
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 04:50   #20

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

I just stumbled across and watched this movie, two nights ago. Where was he based? Grenada? I couldn’t determine it for sure. It was a well made film.
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 05:58   #21

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I just stumbled across and watched this movie, two nights ago. Where was he based? Grenada? I couldn’t determine it for sure. It was a well made film.
Tyrrell Bay in Carriacou. Nice spot, if crowded in high season. Where we are right now.
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 06:32   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
Tyrrell Bay in Carriacou. Nice spot, if crowded in high season. Where we are right now.
Yes, lovely spot and great people. The mangroves are very good hurricane shelter but don’t eat the mangrove oysters because you can get hepatitis from these as well as norovirus etc.

(They were popular there during our visits 20 years ago)

We will probably go there again.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 06:50   #23

Quote:

You are absolutely correct - on both counts. I was amazed at how many boats were in the Caribbean when I was there. It was crazy and did not expect that at all.

Currently in French Polynesia. The eastern islands were quiet but as one gets into the Tuomotus the number of boats has increased. Two anchorages where I am now. One had 20 boats and one had 15 boats yesterday. In the off season????? Crazy crazy.

As for internet - it is a blessing and a curse and I believe it is what drives a lot of people to these out of the way places. Write ups of the ones who have gone before are so easily accessible and then the herd starts to follow.
Sailingallday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib