Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 21:21   #16

Re: Electric Hookah Blu3 Nemo

AQUAIR makes hookah's specifically for work-type diving such as is carried out by boat owners .Their hookah's are nicely priced too.
www.workunderwater.com
siamsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 06:00   #17

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Except you will likely have to do it after every hull cleaning. That's a PITA.

I second this big time. If you do any diving in remote areas of the world (or even slightly remote, like say the Bahamas) getting your tanks to a place to get filled can be a bit of an annoying process, which is why I got a compressor to fill my own tanks. That's a whole other hassle to worry about though...

The Mantus unit is kinda cute, but honestly for that price you'd be better off just getting a full sized SCUBA setup. A 24 cu foot bottle won't do much for you unless you're staying super shallow.
Macdyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 05:19   #18

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

While not the Nemo, We just purchased a Brownie Sea LiOn. It can support 3 divers @ up to 65' for up to 3 hours on a single charge. This covers the vast majority of our diving (for deeper dives, we'll just rent tanks.) I've only had 5 dives but thus far we Love it. It makes maintaining the hulls, sail drives and Props MUCH easier.

It's incredibly quiet, simple to maintain and stows easily.

https://www.browniedive.com/sea-lion...diving-system/

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 14:40   #19

How did you go with the hookah? I'm currently in the process of trying to find the same thing. About to post a question regarding things I've found on eBay.
alanfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 15:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanfw View Post
How did you go with the hookah? I'm currently in the process of trying to find the same thing. About to post a question regarding things I've found on eBay.
I've had mine for about a year now. It is a DIY system with a oiless 120volt compressor, 60ft hose and low pressure regulator. I took my BA and plumbed the supply line to it for buoyancy adjustment as needed. I've used it at least a dozen times for cleaning and a bunch of prop work. It works great but my 1000 watt invertor does not run it on battery alone. it will with the engine running which isn't ideal except for emergencies. I haul it in my boat with my drysuit when on trips. I think the compressor, hose and regulator was a little under $800 but I spent a lot on the compressor for CFM and it being quiet.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 07:05   #21

MikeHoncho, what type of low-pressure regulator are you using? Where did you find it? I am considering setting up a similar system, and have had trouble finding anything but a "normal" SCUBA second stage.

Thanks.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 07:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
MikeHoncho, what type of low-pressure regulator are you using? Where did you find it? I am considering setting up a similar system, and have had trouble finding anything but a "normal" SCUBA second stage.

Thanks.
I bought it off of Amazon but to be honest, I switched back to my normal SCUBA regulator and it works fine.
Old 23-12-2021, 07:48   #23
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
I bought it off of Amazon but to be honest, I switched back to my normal SCUBA regulator and it works fine.
Using off-the-shelf 2nd stages in a hookah rig is a crap shoot. Some will work fine, some will not. I don't take chances, I just buy 2nd stages specifically de-tuned for use in hookahs:

https://www.scuba.com/products/xs-sc...36998790152345
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 12:42   #24

The one I bought was specific for Hookah systems but I didn't like the mouth piece on it so I switched to the regular regulator with no apparent issues. Could you dive (pun intended) a little deeper on your statement of "some will work, some will not"? Is it a situation were they will will or will not work from the first attempt or is it a situation that it may work then fail? Appreciate your insight.
Old 23-12-2021, 14:21   #25
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
Could you dive (pun intended) a little deeper on your statement of "some will work, some will not"? Is it a situation were they will will or will not work from the first attempt or is it a situation that it may work then fail? Appreciate your insight.

It’s a case of not working (properly) from the get-go. If memory serves, scuba regs may tend to free flow when used in a hookah system. It’s not that they will not function at all, but they work poorly. As with most things however, YMMV.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric