Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 19:39   #1

Yacht Registration

Hello, I have a yacht going to use and register in The Entrance, NSW. I know that we can register the yacht by ourselves, but im in China and i don't know much about that. Could anyone help to give me one company agent who can help me register the yacht?

Pls it's urgent, thank you very much.
karmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 20:37   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Yacht Registration

You might like to look at this site:
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels/ship...ster/index.asp

It explains about the Australian Shipping Register and how to register a vessel, with links to downloadable forms.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 20:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You might like to look at this site:
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels/ship...ster/index.asp

It explains about the Australian Shipping Register and how to register a vessel, with links to downloadable forms.

Yes, i have studied many info on AMSA. This case is little bit different, the owner is Chinese and I will not go to AUS to do this for him. This yacht is large and I got some answers from AMSA and NSW already, however I still want to get an agent to handle all this for us, it will be much more easier.
Thank you.
Old 18-05-2016, 21:27   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

You may wish to contact some of the larger yacht broker agencies in Australia... They usually have someone on staff who do this on a regular basis
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 21:37   #5

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Don't see a need to register in a country/state/province if not operating in their waters. If a U.S. citizen, however, it could be advantageous if you obtain USCG documentation for the boat.
Old 18-05-2016, 21:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Don't see a need to register in a country/state/province if not operating in their waters. If a U.S. citizen, however, it could be advantageous if you obtain USCG documentation for the boat.
The boat will operate in AUS water
Old 18-05-2016, 21:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
You may wish to contact some of the larger yacht broker agencies in Australia... They usually have someone on staff who do this on a regular basis

OK, thank you
Old 18-05-2016, 22:42   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmen View Post
Yes, i have studied many info on AMSA. This case is little bit different, the owner is Chinese and I will not go to AUS to do this for him. This yacht is large and I got some answers from AMSA and NSW already, however I still want to get an agent to handle all this for us, it will be much more easier.
Thank you.
If the owner is Chinese:
If you are an Australian citizen or resident, or a body corporate established under Australian company law, you can apply to have your ship registered if it is:
  • a ship owned by an Australian national or nationals
  • a ship owned by three or more people as joint owners where the majority of owners are Australian nationals
  • a ship owned in common where more than half the shares are owned by an Australian national or Australian nationals.

Which of these apply?

If you are only going to operate in Aus waters, it doesn't need to be registered with AMSA, just with NSW.

What do you actually need?
Old 18-05-2016, 23:28   #9

Quote:
If the owner is Chinese:
If you are an Australian citizen or resident, or a body corporate established under Australian company law, you can apply to have your ship registered if it is:
  • a ship owned by an Australian national or nationals
  • a ship owned by three or more people as joint owners where the majority of owners are Australian nationals
  • a ship owned in common where more than half the shares are owned by an Australian national or Australian nationals.

Which of these apply?

If you are only going to operate in Aus waters, it doesn't need to be registered with AMSA, just with NSW.

What do you actually need?
We have an Australian company, and yes, it's going to register with NSW.
I need a company or agent who can help people to register boats. Because we have no people in Australia right now, and the boat owner does not anything about it. This yacht is large and special, there are some problems to handle. So it's better to get an agent.
Old 19-05-2016, 11:17   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

It sounds as though first you need to import the vessel then have it registered to operate in one of the Australian states. This requires dealings with at least two separate governments - the importation with the Australian federal government and the operation after import with the state government of New South Wales.

A web search should find you a shipping agent, preferably operating at the port of import in order to do the work required to import the vessel and then you will need to fill out a form for the state government authority to register the vessel in the state in which you want to operate it.

Unless you are going to travel overseas you do not need Australian Registration which is the one AMSA deals with and even if you have Australian registration some states will still require you to have their state registration which is generally cheaper than Australian registration but usually depends upon the length and horsepower of the vessel . Since it appears that you want to operate from Lakes Entrance the state you will operate in is New South Wales.

I would contact a shipping or customs agent regarding the importation of the vessel and not worry about the state registration until taking delivery of the vessel.

State registration usually requires the filling in of one form and giving them money. If the vessel has a gas stove you may require a gas compliance certificate which a "gas fitter" will provide after inspecting the stove for compliance.

Tell your Chinese friends not to worry too much about the registration, they will not have a problem with it, the authorities they will be dealing with are usually fairly helpful with new arrivals. Also if they are using a delivery crew to relocate the vessel from the port of import to Lakes Entrance these people would probably help with the registration matter for them.

No big deal, she'll be right mate.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 16:47   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I would contact a shipping or customs agent regarding the importation of the vessel and not worry about the state registration until taking delivery of the vessel.
Spot on! Agencies such as China Shipping, Swires, ANL all of which have offices both in Sydney and China can arrange it for you.
Old 19-05-2016, 18:31   #12

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Spot on! Agencies such as China Shipping, Swires, ANL all of which have offices both in Sydney and China can arrange it for you.
Where is the Yacht? Is it in Aus or are you exporting it from china.

If its a non commercial registration or commercial registration, it must be done through the NSW RMS if you only need state registration. If its a commercial registration, your headaches have just started. As the boat must be "in survey".

Registration - Maritime - Roads and Maritime Services

You dont need AMSA unless you are having it Australian Registered (for international travel).

If you are keeping it on Lake Mac you could talk to Tony at buyaboat.com.
If sydney or pittwater try David Bray brokers.

I live near The Entrance. K-Vale. Pm me if there is someone locally, you would like me to speak with.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 20:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
It sounds as though first you need to import the vessel then have it registered to operate in one of the Australian states. This requires dealings with at least two separate governments - the importation with the Australian federal government and the operation after import with the state government of New South Wales.

A web search should find you a shipping agent, preferably operating at the port of import in order to do the work required to import the vessel and then you will need to fill out a form for the state government authority to register the vessel in the state in which you want to operate it.

Unless you are going to travel overseas you do not need Australian Registration which is the one AMSA deals with and even if you have Australian registration some states will still require you to have their state registration which is generally cheaper than Australian registration but usually depends upon the length and horsepower of the vessel . Since it appears that you want to operate from Lakes Entrance the state you will operate in is New South Wales.

State registration usually requires the filling in of one form and giving them money. If the vessel has a gas stove you may require a gas compliance certificate which a "gas fitter" will provide after inspecting the stove for compliance.

Tell your Chinese friends not to worry too much about the registration, they will not have a problem with it, the authorities they will be dealing with are usually fairly helpful with new arrivals. Also if they are using a delivery crew to relocate the vessel from the port of import to Lakes Entrance these people would probably help with the registration matter for them.

No big deal, she'll be right mate.
Thank you. The problem im facing now is that RMS of NSW told me that there is no berthing for our boat. The boat is too large for a suitable berthing in NSW. It's a 60m catamaran. Im asking for a sea anchoring, but no reply from RMS. If there is not suitable berthing to shore, can it anchor in the sea? Like just stay in the water with its own anchors.
Old 19-05-2016, 20:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Where is the Yacht? Is it in Aus or are you exporting it from china.

If its a non commercial registration or commercial registration, it must be done through the NSW RMS if you only need state registration. If its a commercial registration, your headaches have just started. As the boat must be "in survey".

Registration - Maritime - Roads and Maritime Services

You dont need AMSA unless you are having it Australian Registered (for international travel).

If you are keeping it on Lake Mac you could talk to Tony at buyaboat.com.
If sydney or pittwater try David Bray brokers.

I live near The Entrance. K-Vale. Pm me if there is someone locally, you would like me to speak with.
Thank you, i will contact the broker you provided. The problem now is the berthing, RMS told me that there is no suitable berthing for a 60m catamaran. Do you mean if the boat is for international travel, i have to register it at AMSA, not RMS?
Old 19-05-2016, 22:01   #15

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmen View Post
Thank you, i will contact the broker you provided. The problem now is the berthing, RMS told me that there is no suitable berthing for a 60m catamaran. Do you mean if the boat is for international travel, i have to register it at AMSA, not RMS?
Yes. As long as the boat is staying in australia you probably wont need to register it with AMSA

At 60 meters it sounds like its going to be a commercial vessel. Is it?
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration, yacht