Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2014, 12:34   #121

Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

This lawsuit only makes sense to Cali suburbanites with a sense of entitlement.

Anywho...when did EPIRB's become disposable? Were they talking about the batteries, or are the Kaufman's talking out of their ass (again) when they say they thier EPIRB was a one use item?
I've never used a 406 EPIRB marketed to yachties, but plenty of other PLB's and they were not one use items.
Old 23-07-2014, 13:05   #122

I wondered the same thing and assumed they couldn't recharge battery?
Old 23-07-2014, 13:11   #123
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Most EPIRBs need to be sent back to the manufacturer to have the battery replaced. The batteries aren't rechargeable.
Old 23-07-2014, 13:16   #124

Boat: Able 50

There is no such thing as a "once only" EPIRB. On the other hand the battery in their unit would probably have needed changing as they typically transmit for 2 days only. I doubt that the Navy would carry spares.

Those batteries aren't cheap either. A few weeks ago I paid a bit over $200 for a PLB battery which is only half the size.
Old 23-07-2014, 13:16   #125

Boat: Silverton 42

In terms of the lawsuit - let's assume; (1) the sat phone was working properly, (2) RH could call anybody(s), (3) the sat phone had an unlimited use time and was fully paid for. Let's also do some time travel and go back to RH's situation before even trying to use the sat phone and before setting off the EPIRB. Remember, at this point there aren't any medically trained parajumpers (whatever they're called - no disrespect intended - just having a brain fart) onboard, nor is it comforting to have the additional numbers for keeping watch or other assistance. They were experts and having them onboard was psychologically salvation. The conditions aboard were uncomfortable - well before systems started failing and was highly stressful, well before broaching. I don't believe for a minute that anyone would be comfortable and consideration for an exit plan would have been considered - not necessarily implemented (let's give the benefit of the doubt here). So... RH decided to use the sat phone and let's say they make contact with a Dr. who can 'guide' them though dealing with their daughter. At best, she would have responded - but it would have taken many hours - if not days before her condition was such that the parents would not have been as worried (freaking most likely). Let's face it: they would have been concerned no matter what. The awful conditions (sea state and system failures) would have persisted. Would they have carried on when there would be AT LEAST some lingering doubt as to whether they had nipped their daughter's medical condition? I don't think a reasonable parent would have been ok with those conditions and a sick child 'in the middle of the ocean'. I think the EPIRB would have been activated no matter what and it was inevitable once their daughter was even mildly ill. I don't see enough causation by the sat phone provider. Just defending the claim (meritotrious or not) costs big bucks. Pursuing the claim likely costs nothing (if you file enough claims based on a contingency fee arrangement you'll likely hit it big at some point under certain kinds of judicial systems).
Old 23-07-2014, 13:34   #126
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

An interesting thing would be to limit the responses to only people that have ever sailed 100 or so miles from land for...oh say...3-5 days to have gained a little prespective on what it's like to be "alone" out on the water.

Would we have different opinions?
Would we have more understanding or would those be more brutal in their comments?

Then lets look at the opinions of cruisers who have cruised with their kids...I bet you would see a different tone than we are seeing by many posters/experts/second guessers. You wouldn't find me on a trip like that with two kids of that age, heck I don't have that much energy for two little kids that age on a boat! But then what do I know, I'm a bozo that acccording to my family and friends put our kids lives in danger by taking them cruising in the first place.

It's not the finding fault with RH that I don't care for it's the nastiness and almost joy that some people find in point it out. **** we made MANY decisions during our time out cruising that could have ended badly, we all do, and if you can't admit that, then you have a bigger ego and problem than RH.
Old 23-07-2014, 13:42   #127

Boat: Valiant 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
An interesting thing would be to limit the responses to only people have have ever sailed outside the sight of land for...oh say...3-5 days to have gained a little prespective on what it's like to be "alone" out on the water.

Would we have more understanding or would those be more brutal in their comments?
+1.

I've noticed that playing Monday morning quarterback while sucking on their Weems & Plath certified genuine Ships Captain pipe while hammering away on a keyboard is an all too popular hobby.
Old 23-07-2014, 13:45   #128

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post

Anywho...when did EPIRB's become disposable? Were they talking about the batteries, or are the Kaufman's talking out of their ass (again) when they say they thier EPIRB was a one use item?
I've never used a 406 EPIRB marketed to yachties, but plenty of other PLB's and they were not one use items.
yeah... they pretty much are...including PLBs.

You replace the batteries after each use and for some that's a chunk of change...it has been as high as 1/2 the price of the EPIRB....not sure about PLBs.

Sure if crossing an ocean and you needed to use it twice...it MAY work the second time but the duration is probably greatly shortened.

Of course if you want to try it a conservative way and turn it off every time you "think" you put out a position....then it may last a few rescues...

I think I would just have a PLB backup....
Old 23-07-2014, 13:51   #129

Since this thread is about the lawsuit, if it ever gets to trial, the jury won't be a jury of Charlotte's "peers" but of everyday people who likely won't have any sailing experience.
Old 23-07-2014, 14:05   #130

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
For your very first post this is what you offered up?

The makeup of CF is changing before me eyes and I don't care for what I'm seeing.
Old 23-07-2014, 14:11   #131

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
i wonder how this action is also being funded by Eric ? it wont be cheap i would imagine in the states how does the system work there like this
I would guess the attorney took the case on a contingency basis. So no upfront payment and he will get paid only if/when the company settles.
Old 23-07-2014, 14:17   #132
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Cute! Salty! CS While people might "think it" no other country I'm aware of allows this sort of stuff. In some countries we have been in you wouldn't even think it as the thought would be nothing more than a pipe dream.
This happens in America because we are currently living in a nut house where the nuts elected themselves to be in charge of the asylum.

It's also kind of like visiting the zoo after the zookeeper forgets to close the door to the monkey exhibit... and you come to the realization very quickly that there's no longer a glass barrier to protect you from all the flying ****.
Old 23-07-2014, 14:44   #133
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
This happens in America because we are currently living in a nut house where the nuts elected themselves to be in charge of the asylum.

It's also kind of like visiting the zoo after the zookeeper forgets to close the door to the monkey exhibit... and you come to the realization very quickly that there's no longer a glass barrier to protect you from all the flying ****.
Remington recently settled lawsuit over the model700 rifle safety vibrating off. interesting case that took many years as rule number one of all hunter safety courses is never point a loaded firearm in an unsafe direction. this is put in rifle manuals since before i was born.just what kind of precedent in unsafe use that set could be serious. some wacko goes ballistic so lets sue ar-15 maker for unsafe use. anyhow ,thanks to some of these lawsuits the "big tobacco" cant give free cigs to kids on USA soil like they used to. but the "marlboro man" is getting kids hooked up young in other countries still.
Old 23-07-2014, 14:52   #134

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
An interesting thing would be to limit the responses to only people that have ever sailed 100 or so miles from land for...oh say...3-5 days to have gained a little prespective on what it's like to be "alone" out on the water.

Then lets look at the opinions of cruisers who have cruised with their kids...I bet you would see a different tone than we are seeing by many posters/experts/second guessers. You wouldn't find me on a trip like that with two kids of that age, heck I don't have that much energy for two little kids that age on a boat! But then what do I know, I'm a bozo that acccording to my family and friends put our kids lives in danger by taking them cruising in the first place.

It's not the finding fault with RH that I don't care for it's the nastiness and almost joy that some people find in point it out. **** we made MANY decisions during our time out cruising that could have ended badly, we all do, and if you can't admit that, then you have a bigger ego and problem than RH.
Not sure about the numbers but there seem to be lots of folks who post at CF who don't really seem to have sailed (or been on a motor boat) out of sight of land, or been anchored over night, or been on a multihull, or a host of other things they are posting about.

Why should folks be limited in posting in this thread when there are no limits for posting in other threads.

Oh yea there are plenty of folks also being nasty when posting in other threads.
Old 23-07-2014, 15:05   #135

Boat: a sailing boat

Well, the EPIRB we carry onboard can be switched on and off.

And the battery lasts well over the required 48hrs in warm waters conditions too.

It definitely can be used for say 12 hours then switched off and used again a couple days later for another 12 hours, and so on.

Are there any makes around that cannot be used like this?

b.
Closed Thread