Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2013, 06:43   #31

Boat: Bristol 34
Re: Sunbrella Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
The Pfaff 130 has a longer throat and weighs less than the Sailrite. I bought it specifically with an eye to portability, selling my Sailrite LSZ shortly after. AFAIC, the Pfaff is just a much better machine.

Parts for older machines have not been a problem, largely because so many are still in service. In fact, there is a fella "Zeusmachines" (google the name) who does modified Pfaff 130 in particular. I have a heavyweight wheel from his shop. Another good resource for machine parts is Henderson Sewing Co.
]
Your Pfaff 130 is a beautiful machine and who here would argue with German engineering of the era. Good info on the sources as well!

Whatever someone's choice of equipment, I consider our machine to be a crucial bit of cruising gear and this was validated by the fact I used ours countless times in a four month Bahamian cruise - repairing my main's batten pocket, my genny's leech and a torn sail for a fellow cruiser.

Although each job could have been accomplished with a sewing palm, needle and thread, I shutter to think of the hours, blisters and blood required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sail repair.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	53455  
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 13:18   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Alan, you wrote,

"- It messes up my shop tables, I work on vinyl-covered plywood tables.

- It's not accurate enough, even if the blades are changed out regularly the cut is too large and adds just one more way to accumulate error in the process of taking a pattern through to a finished product.

- It tends to be messier than scissors

- It takes longer for me to cut something with the hot-knife than it does to cut the same thing with scissors.

- And finally, most edges don't need it when they are finished.

Just my personal preference of course, if it works for someone else then that's great!"

Thank you very much for such a clear explanation of why you do it the way you do. Years ago, I made a family sized backpacking tent out of ripstop and cordura nylon, cut with good scissors, and candled all the seams, so the wisdom of using a proper hot knife to seal what needs sealing is really easy to understand.

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, lying Sandy Bay, Hobart, TAS
_
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 20:16   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Alan, you wrote,

"- It messes up my shop tables, I work on vinyl-covered plywood tables.

- It's not accurate enough, even if the blades are changed out regularly the cut is too large and adds just one more way to accumulate error in the process of taking a pattern through to a finished product.

- It tends to be messier than scissors

- It takes longer for me to cut something with the hot-knife than it does to cut the same thing with scissors.

- And finally, most edges don't need it when they are finished.

Just my personal preference of course, if it works for someone else then that's great!"

Thank you very much for such a clear explanation of why you do it the way you do. Years ago, I made a family sized backpacking tent out of ripstop and cordura nylon, cut with good scissors, and candled all the seams, so the wisdom of using a proper hot knife to seal what needs sealing is really easy to understand.

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, lying Sandy Bay, Hobart, TAS
_
Yep, the key to all of it is fore-thought. If you're cutting a long seam that will need to be hot-knifed or candled then it will save time to do it that way in the first place. Eliminating steps in the process can do wonders for efficiency
WMarineCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 03:53   #34
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Zeehag,

When you used the 'rubberized' sunbrella for the mast boot...just how did you attach it? hose clamps or maybe large plastic wire ties....any caulking used between the sunbrella and the mast? caulking between the overlapping seam? ...how much overlap? Thanks
I do mast boots often for my clients. I glue the seam so its tight and the fabric hugs an inch or so of the mast. After the glued seam dries roll the fabric down and put a bead of your favorite sealer around the mast, fill groove if there is one then roll the fabric back up over the caulk. Squeegee it with your finger up so a little comes out the top and is smooth. Then I take a heavy thread or cord then whip or serve the top of the fabric wrapping the thread around the mast to make a neat 1/4" or so band at the top of the fabric. Tool the caulk in the groove so it angles down and water exits above the fabric. Wrap the bottom in the groove (if provided) the same way.

On webbing: Make sure you get polyester webbing only. Nylon and polypropylene aren't fit for marine work. If it says"poly" its probably propylene.

I don't use much leather. It looks nice at first but doesn't last in the sun. For chafe scraps of clear vinyl get my nod.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 18:56   #35

I'm still thinking about jumping into this project. A few more questions,

How much does Sunbrella shrink and does it shrink equally in both dimensions? How do you match old pieces with new? I need to match a virtually unused center piece between dodger and bimini. Would you let the new piece age (shrink) for a few weeks then set the matching snaps?

I understand the dark threads/zippers last longer - I have an "Oyster" (light tan) colored bimini and dodger. I'm hesitant to put black thread and zippers on an off-white top. In practice, how much longer does the black last compared to the white? What would you do here?

What are the differences in clear window material. I was told that our boat had "Eisenglass"; Sailrite has several grades and gauges of material. My bimini has a small window to provide view of sails and windex. I don't know what quality or gauge to use here.

For you professionals out there, when making replacement pieces, can you simply use the existing piece (e.g., bimini) as a pattern, make a similar cover, allowing for shrinkage, etc. -or- do you need to come to the boat, measure, fit, and fit a new one? Why or why not can't I send the old bimini to one of you guys to make up a suitable replacement?

Our bimini is 96" x 41", allowing for 6" to wrap around the frame, 2" skirt, etc., is about 3 yards of 60" Sunbrella. 4 48" zippers, 2 30" zippers, leather trim, small window. What would be a reasonable cost to have you build this?

It might be easier for me to start with a smaller project
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote