Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2020, 09:24   #16

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Re: steering system - chain and wire

Just wondering, my chain is stainless.

Today I would not use wire, but Dyneema, stronger than steel for same size and easy to service, no swage fittings, no rust and extremely durable
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 09:26   #17

Boat: GibSea 352

Thank you
There's a thought!!!
DavidMRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 09:29   #18

Boat: GibSea 352

Thanks Oohla
Edson seem to have loads of useful information on their websites, an Plastimo doesn't! Their range of products is so much wider.
I'm going to have find a Plastimo agent in the UK to call. But first - as I've learned today - I need to inspect the whole system and diagnose what's going on, and how simple it is to resolve.

Thanks
DavidMRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 09:47   #19

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
I'm really looking for the simplest solution and would rather not get under the deck to replace the whole pedestal.
I'm guessing I can inspect the bearings after I've removed the chain.

Embrace the boat yoga. Accept it and learn to love it. Also a good time to work on your expletives! Most boat jobs involve blood being lost and words being sworn. Not to cast a shadow but the steering shaft looks pretty funky also. As in a lot of corrosion that probably goes a lot deeper than what the picture shows. Best way to check the pulleys is with the cables off or really loose. Given how the picture looks I would replace chain, shaft, wire and possibly the gear.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 09:48   #20

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi
Edson appear to be handled by these people https://diverseps.com/contact-us/ in Hamble, Hampshire, UK; fixed line 023 8045 3399
Whilst you are exploring and fixing, I think it would be good to test your method of emergency steering
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 09:57   #21

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
Just wondering, my chain is stainless.

Today I would not use wire, but Dyneema, stronger than steel for same size and easy to service, no swage fittings, no rust and extremely durable
What about chafe in that setting?

I wouldn’t want to have dyneema around my steering radial being “grabbed” like that.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 10:10   #22

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Re: inspecting the chain. That’s not so easy to do.

The one time I had a chain failure I had inspected the chain two months prior.
The failure was a link side plate had a slowly then suddenly growing crack. The link failed at a mark rounding with main jib and spinnaker up in 20 knots of breeze. We dropped the chute and sailed with jib and main trim for steering until the emergency tiller could be dug out.
My mistake was inspecting the chain installed. There was grease on the chain as should be. This hid the crack.
To properly inspect I should have removed the chain by disconnecting it from the cables. Then washed it clean with a solvent, then inspected with a magnifying glass, then reinstalled.

At that point a full replacement is far easier.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 10:57   #23

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
What about chafe in that setting?

I wouldn’t want to have dyneema around my steering radial being “grabbed” like that.
Sorry, I do not understand, chafe is to avoid by all means anyway, no difference between Steel or Dyneema.

A "designed-in" chafe would lead to a harsh discussion with the designer/builder and immediate repair.

What do you mean with "grabbing like that"?
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 12:00   #24

Boat: Nordic 44

I have rebuilt my Edson a couple of times and had the chain break a couple of times. It's a high mileage boat.

Couple of things from other posts:

I would never use anything other than 7X7 stainless steel wire. Dyneema would chafe quickly.

You should not have to unbolt the pedestal to change the chain and cable. You do have to remove the cable from the quadrant, attach tracer strings and pull it out the top.

Even though the chain may look good replace it. Stainless steel chain is available from industrial suppliers at about 1/4 the Edson price.

I don't know how Plastimo attached the cable to the chain. Edson uses these cool bronze end pieces that last forever.

Edson did use bronze axles on the below deck pulleys, they use stainless steel clevis pins now. Mine were also very worn the last time I rebuilt the pedestal. Edson sent me a set of bronze bushings for the below deck pulleys. I replaced them even though they did not look worn. I also modified the stainless clevis pins (lathe required) with a cross hole and a whole down the axis tapped for a zerc fitting to make greasing them easy.

If you are cruising definitely carry a spare assembly. I went through St Georges cut into Bermuda under autopilot when my chain snapped.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 13:03   #25

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. I grew up in Dartmouth...Massachusetts. LOL. Anyway, I’m not pushing for Edson Marine, but here is some information about why it’s not cheap. The cable is 305 non magnetic aircraft cable. The chain is marine grade as well. The cable : It’s stretched to 60 % of breaking strength so not a lot of adjustment is needed.
A lot of great advice already given...check turning sheaves and axles...bearings and also check the area the bearings sit inside ...stop the water...check everything twice and dye test if possible. Read up on stainless steel corrosion and failure.
I have Mamba gear steering (sticker shock) with good reason...you do not want to experience a steering system failure ...ever! Maybe you can find or modify another pedestal or entire system. Lastly, it’s nice to have another steering option like a self steering system. Lots of choices. Lots of help available here.
Mark a manatee hooked on pb blaster.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 13:09   #26

Boat: Allied 39

After having our chain in the steering system break on our way from Mexico to FP it is something you do not want to deal with at sea. Why not just replace the wires and chain? Also while you have them out pull the pins on the sheeves(we had one that was 1/4 worn thru). And also check the steering shaft in the pedestal. Ours needed new bearing.
Old 27-07-2020, 13:17   #27

Boat: Valiant 40

Check on the manufacturer of your pedestal. It might be Yacht Specialties, which was bought by Edson years ago. They look similar but parts are not interchangeable, and YS parts are no longer available. If it *is* a YS pedestal I suggest you take it completely apart and refurbish it. Much of it is cast aluminum, so when you put it back together be liberal with the Tef-gel on fasteners. One glance at the cost of a new pedestal will tell you why.

You already have the binnacle off the top. No reason to remove the pedestal if you don't have to; just release the cables from the quadrant and you should be able to pull the chain/cable assembly up out the top. If you have a fancy turk's head knot on your helm, be sure to recenter it when you are installing the new chain or you'll have to tie a new one. :P
Old 27-07-2020, 13:22   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

So its a French yacht located in England, unlikely to be a Edison.

I suggest you take some more photos of the steering system and ask Cliff if he can identify it, because Plastimo might have put their label on it, but they didn't make it.

https://yachtsteeringservices.com/about/

Meantime take the steering pedestal out of the deck and start stripping it down. Things like the bearings are easily obtainable from a bearing supplier and the seals they likely have to keep the crap out of them.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 13:32   #29

This sure brings back a memory. The cable got switched on my 34 when it was replaced and leaving the dock involved reversing all the usual backing out procedure. Sailing beside another boat and them watching you steer toward them at the start line did have its advantages.
BrianGJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 14:09   #30

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Your picture reminds me of some of my bicycle rear freewheels after riding in rain on filthy roads....lots of dirt/grit on the sprocket & chain. On a bicycle sprocket one method to determine wear is the individual teeth become quite pointed - not squared off. Get an old toothbrush and solvent and clean off the chain as you rotate your wheel. Be curious what that sprocket looks like, but would heed earlier advice and replace all (chain/wire) & find source of water... then let me know how difficult a job as I may do the same when inspecting my steering. Would also file receipt so you can source date of replacement, amazing how quickly 1 yr becomes 3, becomes 5, etc.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering