Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 09:02   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: restoring hurricane damaged 40+ foot newer Catamaran

Think my question to the OP would be, if you don't do this cat what would you choose instead? is there any other yachts you fancy doing which might be less risky?

I would rather do a sunken but lifted, yacht that was structurally okay rather than one needing major work rebuilding the rudders and stern. Better still, one that just needs ordinary work that has been abandoned in a boat yard. There are dozens in every yard just waiting for someone or a final destination for landfill.

This is Matt and Jessica's film (CF members), but they did a pretty good job of an old aluminium yacht and documented the work. No reason the OP couldn't do something similar.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:03   #17

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Run away from this boat. Way too many "visible" damages. There is sure to be an equal or more amount of unseen damage when you start removing interior furnishings, motors and electrical components. With the Covid virus causing so much damage to the financial markets and so many people losing income, I would wait for the market to be flooded with now unaffordable used boats. Tough to justify asking for loan payment relief on anything other than a primary residence or single vehicle.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:01   #18

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I would look for repossessions instead of rebuilding all the bulkheads and keels on a hurricane boat. We found our repossession and it was fairly cheap but took another $70k in order to make it a good boat.
On a side note, sailing in bad weather on a crossing is not a good time to worry about your abilities of fiberglass repair. I personally don't have the patience to do fiberglass work.
I would rather put the money into motors, sails, and creature comforts.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:18   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Ask the seller if he would be willing to have the “$20k” work done first and you pay asking plus 20%. Chances are he won’t want to do it because as you’ve described it, it’s more than $20k in damage.
I'd guess, far more than the repaired boat is worth.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 13:13   #20

Repairing a CORED hull to original strength is almost impossible. I was in the glass manufacturing business, boats included.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 16:47   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyweather View Post
I think you are right, but even if double or triple that, and I can do much of the work myself, its still worth it for me.
Too much missing information here. What make and size boat? I am guessing over 40 ft. In my opinion, the bigger the boat the less chance of success. I would guess that any cat under 38 ft would be your best bet. Then too, you need to take into account location, much more costly making repairs out of the US. I guess what I am saying is we would need financial details and the boats location.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 18:37   #22
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

IF maybe a big IF but if you could get it for less than half of their asking price...try to think out of the box here but... patch that **** up and leave out the mast and keels and call it a great loop boat https://www.google.com/search?q=grea...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:23   #23

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Our boat yard has a good dozen project boats with far less damage than the boat you describe that are never going to see the water again.

The skill issue aside. Ask yourself: Am I willing, able, and truthful with myself to undertake a project that will take 2 or 3 times as long as I think, cost 2 or 3 times as much as I hoped, and that will require long hours of working with unpleasant and often toxic materials? I could go on but I hope you get the idea.

Our boat is also a project. I religiously put in many hours each week fixin' her up, and have since we bought her. She started out in sailable shape, I am a retired professional boatbuilder, and I still have a lot to do. We've enjoyed several seasons of good sailing while we worked on things, because we started out with a boat that didn't have the keels punched up through the hull.

Suggestion: There are a lot of very cheap or even free (the owners have tired of paying storage bills) boats out there. Start hanging out in boat yards; ask a lot of questions; make some new friends; volunteer as a crew member in return for learning how to sail. Hold on to your wallet and your dreams. The boats I first talked about are now owned by the yard. Some are in restorable condition. The yard owner would likely sell them very cheap just to get rid of them. The same will be true of yards where you live.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:10   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post
Our boat yard has a good dozen project boats with far less damage than the boat you describe that are never going to see the water again.

The skill issue aside. Ask yourself: Am I willing, able, and truthful with myself to undertake a project that will take 2 or 3 times as long as I think, cost 2 or 3 times as much as I hoped, and that will require long hours of working with unpleasant and often toxic materials? I could go on but I hope you get the idea.

Our boat is also a project. I religiously put in many hours each week fixin' her up, and have since we bought her. She started out in sailable shape, I am a retired professional boatbuilder, and I still have a lot to do. We've enjoyed several seasons of good sailing while we worked on things, because we started out with a boat that didn't have the keels punched up through the hull.

Suggestion: There are a lot of very cheap or even free (the owners have tired of paying storage bills) boats out there. Start hanging out in boat yards; ask a lot of questions; make some new friends; volunteer as a crew member in return for learning how to sail. Hold on to your wallet and your dreams. The boats I first talked about are now owned by the yard. Some are in restorable condition. The yard owner would likely sell them very cheap just to get rid of them. The same will be true of yards where you live.
Sound advise! Walk the local docks and boat yards. It sounds as if you will end up with a disposal problem and cost.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:15   #25

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Repairing a CORED hull to original strength is almost impossible. I was in the glass manufacturing business, boats included.
I'm curious why you'd say that. There are many boats, especially higher end racing boats, that are composite, and highly modified. Playstation comes to mind; it was modified twice. First extended 25 feet, then converted to a powered exploration/research cat.

I disagree with your statement. A cored hull is not difficult, for an experienced composite repair person, to repair to original strength, or better.

Manufacturing boats, and repairing boats, are not exactly the same thing.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:46   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
I'm curious why you'd say that. There are many boats, especially higher end racing boats, that are composite, and highly modified. Playstation comes to mind; it was modified twice. First extended 25 feet, then converted to a powered exploration/research cat.

I disagree with your statement. A cored hull is not difficult, for an experienced composite repair person, to repair to original strength, or better.

Cheers.
Paul.
You haven't seen the boat. When the keel went through the hull the skins are eliminated to the deck. Never impossible with injection and screwing but iffy.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post

Cheers.
Paul.

To support your point.
Before

After
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 13:00   #28

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
You haven't seen the boat. When the keel went through the hull the skins are eliminated to the deck. Never impossible with injection and screwing but iffy.
I haven't seen the boat, but your comment was not strictly directed towards that boat. It was a global comment saying that composites can not be repaired to original strength. I disagree with that statement.

Looking at KC375's post, I think those photos prove the point I was making.

Thank you KC375.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 02-04-2020, 13:39   #29

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

To the OP: unless you're looking at a classic design you have a particular affinity for, I'd skip it. If you're sitting on some cash, maybe wait until late next fall, and see where the boat market goes (probably not to a good place).
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 13:55   #30

Boat: 29 ft

Living on a boat while you restore means moving things around all the time, between day and night and sun and rain and living in a cramped and dirty place, if you are unlucky for years. Then, it can happen, that you are suddenly told you have to move the boat away, which is interesting if the thing does not float. If it was easy money, they would not want to get rid of it. The whole thing sounds as if they are looking for a sucker.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, hurricane