Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2014, 17:47   #16

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Re: LED Navigation Light Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
I have the incandescent myself. Just that whatever that original link was that showed the LED version, it looks to me like they took the incandescent fixture, and are just replacing the 12v bulb with the LED equivalent and selling it as an LED fixture.

I haven't yet seen a good horizontal surface mount, TRUE led fixture in that style, I'll have to keep looking again.

Let me know if you find anything. I'll post should I find something. I wonder why this type of fixture has been overlooked....
SC

SC

"Sailing is the closest I can get to nature - it's adrenaline, fear, a constant challenge and learning experience, an adventure into the unknown. And of course there is nothing better than wearing the same T-shirt for days and not brushing my hair for weeks."

Daria Werbowy
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 19:15   #17

I heard back from Boaterbits and after seeing the name I have bought from him before on eBay and give a thumbs up. He responded on the LED fixture linked above. He said it isn't certified yet. I'm not certain if that means it's in the works or not.
Old 31-07-2014, 19:44   #18
cruiser

They're not deckmount, but I replaced my running lights with USCG-rated (2-mile) LEDs for a total of $120. Got the lights from AMAZON:

They are kinda awesome. More info in my blog HERE.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:33   #19

Boat: Kaufman 47

Not sure if you have seen these.. But they are in the Donovan saltwater catalog for this year if you want to look them up. You can download the catalog online.

These are just screen shots on my phone.. But the low profile flat ones look pretty spiff. Almost look like lopolight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406881926062.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	85940Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406881932646.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	85941Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406881944109.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	85942Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406881950396.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	85943
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The manufacturers are missing out on a huge market by making the new LED lights "stylish" or "low profile" or otherwise not direct replacements for their older models. Most of us want to use the same footprint, and it's a bonus if we can use the same screw holes. But someone decided nav lights should be a fashion industry and therefore need to be changed all the time.

I'll second the recommendation NEVER to simply replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs in nav lights. LEDs bright enough to meet the standards for nav lights use multiple individual lights. Incandescents use one filament. That's factored in when designing the fixture to make sure that all the viewing angles and intensities are correct. The LED bulb might be putting out the right amount of light, but in all the wrong directions.

For me, the biggest benefit of LED nav lights is that the whole fixture is sealed. Never again will I have to deal with corroded bulb connections. That's much more common than a burned-out bulb. Just replacing the bulb with an LED doesn't solve this problem.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Not sure if you have seen these.. But they are in the Donovan saltwater catalog for this year if you want to look them up. You can download the catalog online.

These are just screen shots on my phone.. But the low profile flat ones look pretty spiff. Almost look like lopolight.

Attachment 85940Attachment 85941Attachment 85942Attachment 85943

Boatyardboy,

It took me a while to get to the catalog but they don't have anything either. Thanks for the suggestion!
SC
Old 01-08-2014, 08:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The manufacturers are missing out on a huge market by making the new LED lights "stylish" or "low profile" or otherwise not direct replacements for their older models. Most of us want to use the same footprint, and it's a bonus if we can use the same screw holes. But someone decided nav lights should be a fashion industry and therefore need to be changed all the time.

I'll second the recommendation NEVER to simply replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs in nav lights. LEDs bright enough to meet the standards for nav lights use multiple individual lights. Incandescents use one filament. That's factored in when designing the fixture to make sure that all the viewing angles and intensities are correct. The LED bulb might be putting out the right amount of light, but in all the wrong directions.

For me, the biggest benefit of LED nav lights is that the whole fixture is sealed. Never again will I have to deal with corroded bulb connections. That's much more common than a burned-out bulb. Just replacing the bulb with an LED doesn't solve this problem.

I completely agree. I emailed Perko to see if they have any plans on upgrading this particular light because I'd be willing to wait to save myself the headache. Who knew lights were fashionable?! I've never been accused of having a clue about fashion so I guess that's why I missed it. I'm with you Capt Tom, I just want a light similar in size and legal (aka certified visible for x NM) for my application. I agree I'm looking forward to the sealed unit as well. It's one less thing I have to worry about.
SC
Old 01-08-2014, 08:55   #23

Boat: Alberg #0

I have an alberg 30 with identical lights so following along hopefully

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:01   #24

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

How about the Atwood Deck Mount LED Navigation Lights?

Navigation Lights | Boat Wiring Store

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
I have the exact light and problem you do....here's to hoping there is a solution in this forum.
+1
Been looking all over the place for a LED sternlight with a horizontal mount.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:09   #26

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: LED navigation light upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
In short, navigation lights must be replaced as a complete unit.

SC
And be sure you get the right model for the size of your boat. Visibility requirements increase with the length of the vessel.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:38   #27

Well it appears there is hope. Perko responded to my inquiry:

"Hello,

We are in the process of converting our lights to LED's
At the moment we do not have a completion date for the conversion of part 0965.

Regards
Manny"

0965 is the model of light I posted in the original post. I did share I wasn't the only one with this problem but I doubt it will speed up the process.

SC

"Sailing is the closest I can get to nature - it's adrenaline, fear, a constant challenge and learning experience, an adventure into the unknown. And of course there is nothing better than wearing the same T-shirt for days and not brushing my hair for weeks."

Daria Werbowy
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43   #28

Quote:
Well it appears there is hope. Perko responded to my inquiry:

"Hello,

We are in the process of converting our lights to LED's
At the moment we do not have a completion date for the conversion of part 0965.

Regards
Manny"

0965 is the model of light I posted in the original post. I did share I wasn't the only one with this problem but I doubt it will speed up the process.

SC

Daria Werbowy
Hello SC,

I am no marine environment engineer, but I would put an LED replacement
bulb in the current fixture and close up the best you can until Perko releases
the replacement fixture.

The other option, to avoid drilling another set of holes in the boat, would to be make a universal mounting base, kind of like using a different bolt pattern
on a car. That way you could use the old hole pattern but use a different brand of fixture.

Best regards,

Mike
mbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:45   #29

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
How about the Atwood Deck Mount LED Navigation Lights?

Navigation Lights | Boat Wiring Store
I installed these on on my previous Cape Dory and they are VERY bright. I recommend these.

I had the same problem with my stern light as the OP so after looking everywhere I replaced the clear lens in my factory Perko stern light housing with a new clear lens and then stuck an all-around USCG 2nm bayonet-type white LED bulb in it in place of the incandescent bayonet bulb. It is brighter than my original incandescent bulb for sure, at all proper angles. I would like to have found a horizontal mount LED stern light but like everyone else I could not.

Luckily the stern doesn't get as much spray as the bow does so corrosion on my stern light has never been as much of an issue as the bow. It seemed I always had to open the bow housings as spin the bayonet bulb back and forth to get it to work. That's one of the reasons that finally made me replace them.

-Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 15:22   #30

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

I don't think it's so much of stylish, but those low profile lights would work great on a fishing boat. You would be less likely to trip on them and wouldn't get hung up and as much. Another thing, is that form could follow function. Why do you need a giant bulbous fixture if the LED and circuitry fit in a flat sealed unit? It's easier to pot with sealant, which reduces price for everyone. Yea, it has a nice brushed finish that's a plus too.
Quote:
Boatyardboy,

It took me a while to get to the catalog but they don't have anything either. Thanks for the suggestion!
SC
They don't have anything in regards to a stern light, no. I thought you were looking for bow lights as well. If you were to wait, I would suggest what someone already said, just get a led bulb for the light till perko or someone comes out with something.

Or go with a lopolight, they have horizontal mount stern lights.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation