Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 22:26   #31

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: "Rebuild one cylinder" Does broker's comment make sense?

If properly done, there is no need to 'replace the engine' or repower after a single cylinder repair. One should expect completely normal engine life after such a repair; the engine doesn't 'know' that it doesn't have all its' original parts. Clearances, sealing and torque are what mainly determine performance and longevity.

That being said, this statement is made in the Volvo parts book about the TAMD122 of certain serial numbers

"When changing cylinder line(r)s on engines older then SN-XXXX/254148 should all line(r)s changes."

which I interpret as 'when changing a liner on engines before 'X' serial number all should be changed', because there has been a significant change in either the liner, piston or rings (or any combination of the three). At 1500 per cyl kit (I assume liner, piston, seals and rings).

If John's changed his mind and is still considering the boat, it might be a good idea to check the serial numbers with Volvo and the broker to ensure that the correct cyl kit was installed...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:17   #32

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
Big ship motors that have individual cylinders with heads like the GM LST motors that came from a locomotive are normally serviced 1 cylinder at a time.
I have heard of mechanics servicing Detroit 71 series at one cylinder level but I would never allow that on my vessel because that is a small integral engine.
Basically if the Volvo does not have individual cylinders and heads it get serviced as a unit.

This.

Servicing one cylinder at a time is normal. I paid through college as a ships mechanic apprentice. Our bread and butter was hot swapping piston/liner/head/intake valve/injectors/crosshead bearing, etc on one lung at a time while the ship was in cargo ops. Mostly this was done on a schedule based on hours. However sometimes we’d get one cylinder that had premature injector failure mid-ocean and needed a new liner or piston crown well before the requisite number of hours had passed. Nothing else was wrong with the engine that couldn’t be repaired by swapping one or two bits out.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 14:43   #33

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Rebuild one cylinder or rebuild one injector?
I was wondering about that too, a one word mistake could make all the hounds go barking up the wrong tree.

Tags
men, rebuild