Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 08:56   #46

Boat: Hake 32RK
Re: Proper Way to check engine oil level on Yanmar 2YM15

For those who have never witnessed a diesel engine runaway because of over filling with oil, I assure you it is harrowing, dangerous and almost always results in catastrophic damage. The only way to shut it down is by shutting off air supply and that isn't going to be easy....don't overfill the oil reservoir.
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 08:56   #47

Boat: Van de Stadt "YM Seahorse" 10m

The reason for delaying the oil check is to allow the back flow from the filter so you get a correct reading but I don't see the sense as the filter is quite small, but then so is the sump? As a truckie, we always dip a cold engine I do the same with our 2GM20 which shows the true volume. Unless your engine is turbo charged and will probably use the sump oil for cooling, it's no drama to be below the full line so long as OIL IS ON THE STICK, but not above the full mark. Someone else mentioned the danger of over filling, it can create pressure in the crank case and blow your big end seals....expensive! Hope that helps?
Old 29-01-2021, 11:29   #48

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Having had four various Yanmar diesels, I would say they are known for this. When I do engine checks before departure I pull up the dipstick(s) and do all the other engine room tasks before returning to engine oil checks. After 5-10 minutes the oil drains into the pan and the oil check is accurate. While some Yanmar have a second dipstick lower on the block I would say to get a system going and stick with that. Seems Yanmar retain enough internal pressure to prevent the head fro draining fully unless that pressure is released. A 4 cyl turbo I had would read dry in the dipstick if I just pulled it without waiting. The other thing I have noticed about Yanmar engines is that they reach a happy place on the dipstick somewhere between full and add, and these engines are best left at that happy place rather than adding oil all the time because in short order the dipstick will read back at their happy place, so adding oil is a waste unless it actually reaches the add mark, which has never happened. Great, tight engines in my book.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 08:22   #49
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauruuru View Post
For those who have never witnessed a diesel engine runaway because of over filling with oil, I assure you it is harrowing, dangerous and almost always results in catastrophic damage. The only way to shut it down is by shutting off air supply and that isn't going to be easy....don't overfill the oil reservoir.
I'm not sure if it was overfilling with oil but an elderly man in our marina had his diesel engine runaway. He claimed he'd turned off the fuel stopcock.

We went to his assistance, and passed him a piece of plywood to put over the air intake. The engine slowed right down...but did not stop...hmm...obviously enough air was leaking in around the air filter unit...

Fortunately my SO had the idea of putting the engine into gear and it stalled out then.

Scarey.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 14:53   #50

Boat: Van de Stadt "YM Seahorse" 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
I'm not sure if it was overfilling with oil but an elderly man in our marina had his diesel engine runaway. He claimed he'd turned off the fuel stopcock.

We went to his assistance, and passed him a piece of plywood to put over the air intake. The engine slowed right down...but did not stop...hmm...obviously enough air was leaking in around the air filter unit...

Fortunately my SO had the idea of putting the engine into gear and it stalled out then.

Scarey.
Idiot (no shortage of them) did the same with a forklift, didn't sniff the container first and shoved petrol in instead of diesel. It ran like a 747 taking off until someone ripped the fuel line out. It smoked for an hour after....stuffed. I have heard of warn engines being able to pull oil past the rings and go balastic if over filled but never seen it in years as a truckie. There are a lot of myths and legends over boat engines, dos and donts. We have just gone down the diesel bug / water in the fuel road resulting in servicing the injectors and adding a better filter water separator (sorry to go off topic) to the existing CAV filter. Have done one better, I have taken a feed out of the bottom of the fuel tank and a pump pushes the fuel through a inline pre filter then a CAV water separator then back into the tank via the filler...a fuel "polisher". Works!
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 12:27   #51

Boat: Summer Twins 25

If you are ever unsure of oil level, next time you oil change, fill with the recommended amount of oil from the manufacturer, start the Engine and stop after 1 minute, allow to settle then dip the oil level.
Assuming you don’t have an off beat dry sump system you now have a good and safe starting point
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 12:47   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

This may not apply to Yanmar, but I have a fishing boat with twin Yamaha's.

After the boat has been sitting for a while, and I pull the dipstick, it comes up empty.....I have to re-insert the dipstick and pull it out again, and this time it will show the correct oil level.

A Yamaha mechanic told me why Yamaha's do this...but I couldn't not understand the reasoning...nonetheless, you have to pull the dipstick twice to get an oil reading..
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 15:03   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
If you are ever unsure of oil level, next time you oil change, fill with the recommended amount of oil from the manufacturer, start the Engine and stop after 1 minute, allow to settle then dip the oil level.
Assuming you don’t have an off beat dry sump system you now have a good and safe starting point
I am skeptical of this. I agree it would work PROVIDED you can get ALL of your oil out of the engine. I am not at all sure that we do manage that on a regular basis. I would bet most engines are left with at least some small amount, but maybe not all that small.

I installed an oil drain system. My Yanmar has a dip stick in one side and a matching plugged bolt hole on the port side. It installed a valve in the port side. I open it to drain the oil then it locks closed.

It drains forever. But also it is clear there is some oil left because of the engine tilt. How much? I will bet I get out more oil than most folks. I am guessing ai retain a cup or two, 8 to 16 oz.

If I then put in a full specified capacity of oil I would be a bit over filled. And I never manage to put in the full stated capacity.

But each to his own.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 15:20   #54

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I am skeptical of this.
Me too. I assume the capacity figure in the manual is approximate, and some oil is retained within the inner workings regardless of how it is removed. I would suppose you could measure the amount of oil removed, and replace with the same amount. I typically pour in the capacity figure minus a quart/litre and then top up 'til dipstick reads full.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 15:23   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

don't forget that the oil filter will also hold a specific amount of oil...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 15:51   #56

Boat: Seaward 26RK

Quote:

I installed an oil drain system. My Yanmar has a dip stick in one side and a matching plugged bolt hole on the port side. It installed a valve in the port side. I open it to drain the oil then it locks closed.
How did you install the drain plug?
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 17:37   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are a couple of mfgrs like this.

Poke around and you will find more.

We dont recall my make.

You need to find out what thread is on your engine. Which ever one I used had a look up table for my Yanmar.

Or google “OIL DRAIN VALVE”

Ah ha! Fumoto you s the one I used.

https://www.ezoilchangevalve.com/sto...iABEgIhffD_BwE
Old 31-01-2021, 17:51   #58

Quote:
There are a couple of mfgrs like this.

Poke around and you will find more.

We dont recall my make.

You need to find out what thread is on your engine. Which ever one I used had a look up table for my Yanmar.

Or google “OIL DRAIN VALVE”

Ah ha! Fumoto you s the one I used.

https://www.ezoilchangevalve.com/sto...iABEgIhffD_BwE
My question is how did you make the hole in the engine? Am I missing something?
Old 01-02-2021, 05:02   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Yanmar 4JH4 has dip stick holes on both sides of the engine. One has the dip stick, the other was plugged.

Apparently this is fairly common. Look closely at your engine and the parts manual.

Some oil port mfgs have look up tables on their web sites with thread size indicated. That would be a good indication it is possible.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:19   #60

Quote:
My Yanmar 4JH4 has dip stick holes on both sides of the engine. One has the dip stick, the other was plugged.

Apparently this is fairly common. Look closely at your engine and the parts manual.

Some oil port mfgs have look up tables on their web sites with thread size indicated. That would be a good indication it is possible.
OK. Thank you.
I doubt it is in my engine. It is small and the port side is crowded with starter, alternator, cooling hoses and cables.
I may look later.

Tags
engine, oil, rope, yanmar