Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2023, 14:55   #1

Lucas fuel pump leak from fuel control arm, Cures?

So recently running my engine frequently to charge batteries, Ive discovered a drip, drip fuel leak from the arm of the speed control arm about one drop in eight to ten seconds, and it seems to continue after the engine is stopped. And it also seems to bleed off the fuel pressure so that the next start is hard after the engine has been sitting approximately 8 or ten hours.

The Perkins 4.108 starts at the mere touch of the starter when run within six or even eight hours but after about ten or twelve, it requires an extended cranking, then is rather hard to start. And I believe its due to the fuel pressure having bled off as a result of the leak.

Now of course it needs the seals replaced, and its in the schedule but I see mechanics stating that a little ethanol gasoline added to the diesel will rejuvenate the seals and reverse this condition. In this case regarding a VW diesel car...But any advice regarding additives which can get me by till summer and possibly eliminate the need for this project?

Thanks for reading and happy Sunday to all.
doog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, pump