Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2024, 06:37   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Has anyone replaced the muffler on a Beneteau First 42? Seems impossible!

I had some cooling woes and it appears I just keep working myself stern replacing items. It started when one of the bowman endcaps sprung a leak on my Perkins 4.108. After replacing it I noticed on startup that it started to swell up and I knew I had a restriction down stream. Since then I ended up:
  • Replacing the mixing elbow with a stainless one because the 40 year old cast iron one was completely clogged
  • Replacing the exhaust hose going to the muffler because the previous one was 2.5' to make up for the swelled up cast iron elbow
  • All new hose clamps after one broke after tightening it on the muffler

Unfortunately now I am dealing with a leak. I can't see the actual leak, I can just see the water coming into the bilge and I can hear it. I took a boroscope and best I can tell it's not coming from where the hose attaches to the front or rear of the muffler. To me that means while the boat was sitting for a couple months saltwater must have corroded the muffler and now it's leaking.

Accessing this muffler is terrifying to me. I have no idea how I am going to reach it and I am hoping one of you have prior experience before I take a chainsaw to the cockpit and just hack my way to where it is. Recommendations for a replacement muffler would be helpful as well. The boat is a 1984 Beneteau First 42.

Thank you.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 11:18   #2

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Re: Has anyone replaced the muffler on a Beneteau First 42? Seems impossible!

Bumpp
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 13:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Bumpp
Nothing’s impossible, some things are just harder to accomplish.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 14:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Easy...call a mechanic and quite stressing about it.

A good mechanic can do something in one hour that will take you all day.....zip...zappity do....done

Most area marina's have a boat mechanic nearby....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, muffler