Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2024, 01:21   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: Stabilized bed platform

Hi Pizzazz, I am happy to confirm that this technology still exists https://www.stableonboard.com/ or https://youtu.be/s_NPvXiq0AE - even used for stretchers on ambulance boats!

Despite the advanced- and power "hungry" hull stabilizers out there, there may be remaining movements on the ship that can be challenging for a few (seasickness). The power consumption needed for the hull stabilizers may of course also be an element to consider other technologies. Stabilizing just a bed may consume 150-250watt, while a hull stabilizer is lots of kWs.
The price element is however regretfully a bit far off, an active stabilized bed/lounge chair system is very costly (was above your figure).
Old 18-03-2024, 05:26   #47

Boat: Riva 48

Runeme, thank you for the note. I am not sure how expensive stable on board is but it has to make sense for the average weekend boater. I have been thinking about adjacent industries, i.e. heavy duty camera mounts or gaming chairs that are more mass market and therefore cheaper. I am sure that a gaming chair with motion can be adapted to the purpose with the right amount of tinkering.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 05:42   #48
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Laugh out loud. Shouldn't require explanation of the multiple reasons.
Old 18-03-2024, 05:43   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Runeme, thank you for the note. I am not sure how expensive stable on board is but it has to make sense for the average weekend boater. I have been thinking about adjacent industries, i.e. heavy duty camera mounts or gaming chairs that are more mass market and therefore cheaper. I am sure that a gaming chair with motion can be adapted to the purpose with the right amount of tinkering.
Pizzazz, A gyro system as used for heavy dutuy cameras etc (always horizontal) will not remove the sideway accelerations that you will face onboard a boat rolling in the waves (depending on vertical distance of the bed vs the ships rotation point). You will need accelerometers in the control loop, to counter tilt the bed to prevent "falling" out. Similar to what a waiter will do with a plate of glasses when turning and stopping.
I agree that the stableonboard system is not aimed for the average weekend boater pt!!
Old 18-03-2024, 11:05   #50

Boat: Island Packet 40

Decades ago a monohull was built for the Melbourne to Osaka yacht race by carving the hull from a giant block of polyurethane and glassing it over. The internal fitout was achieved by carving a round tunnel into the block and glassing the internal surfaces. A frame inside the round tunnel with wheels which allowed it to roll around inside the round tube held a bunk, galley and nav area so that the single crewman stayed level when the boat rolled.

Tags
bed