Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2015, 02:18   #31

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

1160 running a Genoa Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	113032

For the main and jib I am going with the standard north sails, will look at upgrades in the future at a later date, but prefer to deal directly with the sail lofts as pricing is significantly cheaper going direct. ie. For the same price as a single screecher from Seawind, dealing direct with a sail loft can get both a screecher and a spinnaker for same price....
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 12:30   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
1160 running a Genoa Attachment 113032

For the main and jib I am going with the standard north sails, will look at upgrades in the future at a later date, but prefer to deal directly with the sail lofts as pricing is significantly cheaper going direct. ie. For the same price as a single screecher from Seawind, dealing direct with a sail loft can get both a screecher and a spinnaker for same price....
Having spent a bit of time sailing an 1160 with big roachy main and genoa,i'm interested to know what seawind have done to adress the weather helm issues with the new "Lite".

Also has anyone actually weighed a "Lite" to see how light a Lite is.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 14:21   #33

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Having spent a bit of time sailing an 1160 with big roachy main and genoa,i'm interested to know what seawind have done to adress the weather helm issues with the new "Lite".

Can't speak to the 1160 but my 1000 has a square top that gets more sail area high up that a more conventional main with a big roach. I have been able to balance the boat using the traveler.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 08:37   #34

Quote:

Have not experienced this issue on any of the 1160s or 1000 that I have sailed however this was very common on my Moody 36 when sails were incorrect trimmed, can you let us know the wind, sea conditions and sail plan you had up to experience this?

Re weight, base boat, no options fitted and no water, fuel , comes in at 6.5 ton, optioned up with fuel is well over 7 ton, and probable closer to 8.
Old 16-11-2015, 14:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
1160 running a Genoa Attachment 113032

They sure look nice under sail. Really like the almost square-top mains Seawind fit these days.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 15:48   #36

Last update on the build.

Steering & Targa bar, Windows , Hatches, 800 Watts of Solar, all being added this week.

6 weeks away from Launch in HoChiMin followed by sailing in Vietnam and then South China Sea romp back to Singapore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	113825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0467.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	113826  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	113827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	113828  

Old 25-11-2015, 21:50   #37

Boat: Still deciding, but definitely a catamaran...

(My first post here!)

Nice boat in progress Andrew, congratulations. I hope to follow in your wake soon... Nice to see that you are getting some of the new design features as per the 1190 in your boat.

Just a question: how may solar panels to make up the 800W? And, would it be possible to use the frame-less flexible solar panels on the targa roof, so you don't have those aluminium frames poking out?

Which sail loft will you be using for your screecher? Do you have any details on that one you can share?
Gerben SYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 21:56   #38

Boat: Still deciding, but definitely a catamaran...

PS: keep up the good work with the Youtube videos, very informative! Also keep us posted on that 1190 and 1260 in progress, sneak in a few shots of those!
Gerben SYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 23:04   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben SYD View Post
(My first post here!)

Nice boat in progress Andrew, congratulations. I hope to follow in your wake soon... Nice to see that you are getting some of the new design features as per the 1190 in your boat.

Just a question: how may solar panels to make up the 800W? And, would it be possible to use the frame-less flexible solar panels on the targa roof, so you don't have those aluminium frames poking out?

Which sail loft will you be using for your screecher? Do you have any details on that one you can share?
Hi Gerben,

Are you also planning to Launch and sail from HoChiMin as well?, there has been a few boats that have done this route earlier in the year against SE Trades via KK and then down to Malaysia , we are leaving in January from HCM to Singapore so the run is mostly reaching and or downwind with the NE Monsoon.

Re the Solar panels,
The stand Lite comes with 2 x 160 Watt panels however we have taken the optional upgrades to 4 x 200 Watt = 800 in total. I think you could easily convert the 2 over hardtop panels to be the frameless flexible panels , would just need to chat with the guys at Seawind about this option. One thing that stands out is how much you can option up the Lites. The 2 vessels ahead of mine had nearly every upgrade available which makes them a higher spec than the standard 1160 Models that have diesels.

Re the 1190, would be great to see what these are like when they are completed, Dagger Boards and an extra 30cm will produce a fast sailing catamaran if you keep the weight down (ie don’t spec a diesel generator , aircon etc)

Re Sails:
The schreecher and Spinnker are from Island Planet Sails, they can deliver anywhere in world and a very competitively priced, another option is that you could contact Neil at Barracouta Sails as he is the most familiar sailmaker in regards to the Seawind Models, currently he is also completing a storm jib for me. Neil also have a lot of experience in producing the larger overlapping Genoas for 1160 from Aust based customers.

Andrew
Old 26-11-2015, 21:35   #40

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite 2016

Hi Andrew. Your boat is looking beautiful.It must be exciting (or nerve- wracking?) to be getting so close.

Can I pick your brain AGAIN?

1. Why did you decide on seldon furler for asym. Did you look at any others in particular the Profurl
2. Are you having boat surveyed ex factory??
Thanks again for all your help.
Aushammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 16:54   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushammer View Post
Hi Andrew. Your boat is looking beautiful.It must be exciting (or nerve- wracking?) to be getting so close.

Can I pick your brain AGAIN?

1. Why did you decide on seldon furler for asym. Did you look at any others in particular the Profurl
2. Are you having boat surveyed ex factory??
Thanks again for all your help.
There are a number of articles on various furler comparisons online, Ronstan was certainly high up on the list and a very well made furler. Ended up going with the Seldon based on pricing, and local recommendations for another boat owner with a similar setup.

Re Survey :I have no plans to survey the boat independently as prefer to take the more hands on approach myself during the build. By the time we launch in January will have visited the factory 3 times over the construction period and reviewed all of the vessels at various stages while under construction so feel comfortable with my own ability to monitor quality. Basically I think it's up to your personal choice , there is not much benefit in bringing in a 3rd party to deal and act with the manufacture on a standard production boat. One off boats or Custom Designs I would agree its worth a surveyor to make a number of inspections throughout the build but at the end of the day its not the Surveyor that warrantees the vessel so take surveys for what they are.
Old 29-11-2015, 22:46   #42

Boat: Aloha 34

Any idea on what sort of range you can expect to get with the Yamahas?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 00:22   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Any idea on what sort of range you can expect to get with the Yamahas?
I dont have any data on the Yamahas as plan to use the 20hp Honda's which consume 7 Litres (1.8 gallon) p/h at 5650 rpm. This equates to a run time of around 111 hours (200 Gallon tank) at full revs (5650 rpm), or 55 hours per engine. (about a 400 Nautical mile range depending on sea state), however I hardly ever run outboards above 3000 rpm so expect to get better than the 1.8 gallon per hour.

This is not first hand experienced but data provided by boating tests on line. Will post once I have some time on the water of actual rates.

cheers
Andrew
Old 30-11-2015, 02:58   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

On my Seawind 111 hours was a years worth of motoring (In fact more than a Year). Hopefullly you will have fair winds and sail everywhere like I was able to for the 5 years we owned her.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 02:59   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Apparently they employed someone who knew how to trim sail.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, Seawind, Seawind 1160, wind