Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2023, 12:45   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: PIRATE MITIGATION

Quote:
We do have a gunlocker for safe storage which helped to calm customs nerves. We never had to hand it over during our stay, not even in countries that officially require this.
Funny, friends of ours had their crossbow stored by Customs in Oz, after the Customs officer noticed it stowed on the overhead of the V-berth. They produced it in good order when our friends checked out.

I like your concept of having a security grille installed for a catamaran. It should deter undetermined thieves, and still allow ventilation.

Ann
Old 25-12-2023, 14:21   #32

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

I’m sailing one of those sliding door condos and so far so good. Sailing nothing but secure Marinas. Carry fortified flares and other that dinghy wannabe thiefs that I scared away with threatening with my flare gun. Nothing bad to report. If know Spanish then a flare gun and knowing how to say tu cohones amigo it’s all you need. Now if you want to go cheap and anchor in front of poor favelas then read Ernest Hemingway Haves and Havenots .been out there around the various rocks of the Carib and I spend money so they won’t steal it.thats advice from good all Hemingway.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 14:31   #33

Boat: Brazapi Serenity 51

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231225_142332.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	284721

Pretty much never use it.
Hiva Oa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 20:55   #34

Boat: 1976 Fantasia35 Mk I

Worked on a cat in Honolulu that had just arrived from Australia. It had been hit in Rabaul by pirates. The crew felt that it was an “inside” job initiated by the harbormaster from the previous island where they had last stopped. The crew suspected that due to having argued about paying an exorbitant exit fee and left the island without paying. Also, the pirates knew what was on board and what to look for.

If you have an older, metal flare gun that’s in good shape, it can fire a .12 ga shotgun shell. A low base shell loaded with rock salt would definitely deter a pirate but if there is more than one, try for a “flock” shot. Test the very pistol with a low base shell first, preferably using a gun vise so, if the gun can’t handle the low base shell, you’ll be safely away from the result. No one’s mentioned spear guns or a wrist rocket with a ball bearing, glass marble, rock, pie shell beads, lead fishing sinker, a round, smooth, slick river rock. It can be deadly so aim well. Practice first, it could be fun as well as life saving.
Pukakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 02:27   #35

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

It's funny how fear and macho (bluster?) go together.
Old 26-12-2023, 04:01   #36

Boat: Lagoon 450S

The nice thing about a catamaran is you have plenty of room for solar panels, which in turn gives you a nice power budget. We have an alarm with a camera and lights. The new security cameras are smart enough to detect a human coming on board without a false alarm. If someone boarded our boat, we would know it, even if we were off the boat. I think prevention also helps. Don't anchor close to shore, giving a thief an easy swim to the boat. If someone really wants to break into your boat, there isn't anything that will stop them. If you're that paranoid, perhaps stay at home.
SV Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 04:13   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Do you have a phobia of pirates sneaking onto your boat?
Don’t worry - You're not alone.

My aibohphobia [fear of palindromes] is really starting to affect my life, so I asked my doctor, if he could prescribe me anything.
The bastard gave me Xanax.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 09:12   #38

Well a dog is easier to deal with the authorities than a gun. Guns a taken away when you need them! And a hassle to get back. And are often used against the owner. I was witness to that scenario via SSB mayday call. “ what’s the nature of your emergency mam?” “My husband’s been shot and I think he’s dead! “.

They can’t use your dog against you and at least normally you can keep him/her on board. But indeed, large dogs are a lot of work and responsibility.

No easy solution. Custom inside bars?? Or solid wall? That folds out. Store fronts use very effective folding / collapsing gates wall in their business glass walls. Hmmmmm. Something to look into and very commercially available. Not a bad idea!
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 11:09   #39

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
- electronic detection and alarm. Detect boarders and deter with strobe lights and sirens. Use strobe lights that flash quick and into their faces to disorient them. This may be illegal in some places as it can trigger epilepsy.
I read a very well written how-to, maybe on here (but probably easy to Google for), where a guy used strain gauges glued to the underside of the deck. Immune to heat/sun, immune to birds, immune to anything but something that flexed the deck (a man-sized intruder). Put some on each side deck, stern platform, foredeck, and at entrance to companinway.

Seemed like a really effective, cost effective system. But I'm not worried enough, at least not yet, so I haven't done it. Cruising New England and Canada makes you complacent....

EDIT: Found it. Our Paul L wrote this article: https://www.bwsailing.com/bw/alarmed/
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 19:01   #40

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

A simple easily breakable padlock and chain , so that when it's broken the damage is minimal...
Old 31-12-2023, 09:42   #41

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

The strategy that I have used for years is to simply not own anything worth stealing. Wooden dinghy with 2 hp motor, Toughbook computer that, while expensive, looks pre-industrial revolution. Couple of cheap guitars etc. We were broken into while on the hard in Mexico years back and lost our Honda generator and a game of Mexican Train, but that was about it.

When we leave the boat at night for any reason we leave all the deck lights and interior lights on. Not only does it deter thieves, but makes the boat easy to find.

Finally, we find that cruising in areas where there is huge economic disparity between ourselves and the locals has less appeal than it used to. Even in our modest boat it feels like we are flaunting our wealth whenever we anchor in front of a village that gets by on subsistence fishing.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 10:14   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: PIRATE MITIGATION

Anchor amongst nicer, richer looking boats.. pisses them off but.. do I care..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Mandela.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 12:28   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^^
Ah, yes, the "I only have to outrun you, not the bear," point of view.

Hmmmmm.

Ann

PS: also, they might have better pirate mitigation than a low bucks boat, so you're sort of sheltering, borrowing their wealth and power. "Pay no attention to that man behind the screen".
Old 31-12-2023, 12:32   #44
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Anchor next to a Colombian or Venezuelan flagged yacht.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 12:33   #45

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

If I do happen to run across a Pirate, I'll ask them for directions to the nearest beach.
I heard they know all the best spots.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote