Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 09:13   #46

Re: Looking for Point of Views on the best sailing Catamaran for a couple who cruise

Also look for a boat where the helm is INSIDE the cockpit, not on the aft sugarscoop or on the bimin/roof. Likecsome of the Fr an other "charter" catd

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Panache5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 18:39   #47
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Looking for Point of Views on the best sailing Catamaran for a couple who cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteh007 View Post
For wife and husband only - you will need all lines back to helm, double reefs, not single reefs, all reefs back to helm, solid autopilot, newer boat to minimize system failure rate, 45ft is ideal cat, e.g Helia 44 is great for its boom access. make sure you understand all circuits if you get 110v ac.

Double reefs but no single reefs? How about both and maybe throw in a triple reef. 45' is ideal for who? Maybe you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:32   #48

Good boat. Meets all the criteria. I should know. I sail a Voyage 500 with 2x persons since 2010 15000nm.

Old 09-07-2014, 23:01   #49

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

At that price point, you will have so many choices.

In the 40's size range, there are many great cats - new, used, ex-charter, previously loved, heavily outfitted, lightly outfitted....

You're in a perfect position.

42-44 is probably right where you want to be - the slightly longer length will give you a bit more comfort in the ride and cabin, while not so large that it is difficult to handle in tight quarters.

A 42-44 cat is comfortably large while still being intimate. More than enough room for guests when you need it, but not a great deal of wasted space.

It's just a matter of getting out there and seeing them, sailing on them, whatever it is that you need to do to make it work in your mind.

Don't get caught up in specing your boat down to the last detail or getting crazy with the outfitting. In the regions you specified, you can do a lot with very little equipment. Unless you have a specific mission in mind, there is not much you "must" have.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:04   #50

ElmBrook,

aside from building your own, the best two would be PDQ or Privilege. The rest are second tier. You could also build one, my wife and I built a 50' from angelo lavranos design for aroung 100k fully equipped for offshore cruising bette built than anything on the market. The trick is to register a boat building company with manufacturers to purchase equipment at wholesale vs retail.

Godspeed
JackDuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:19   #51

Hi Jack.
Two very broad statements from your side: Is the PDQ and Privilege better than all else around based on an in depth study considering all aspects, or is it just your own biased and un substantiated opinion?
Same for your own homebuilt 100k 50ft boat. Has it been tested against all else in the market, considering all aspects, or is it again just your own opinion?

There are many very good catamsrans manufactured by long established manufacturers with an excellent safety and durability record.
Also consider that a boat from a well knoen manufacturer has a better resale value than a "homebuilt"
My advice-Buy the best you can afford from a well established manufacturer with a good track record!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:27   #52

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I would love to see your boat, do you have pics, website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDuBose View Post
ElmBrook,

aside from building your own, the best two would be PDQ or Privilege. The rest are second tier. You could also build one, my wife and I built a 50' from angelo lavranos design for aroung 100k fully equipped for offshore cruising bette built than anything on the market. The trick is to register a boat building company with manufacturers to purchase equipment at wholesale vs retail.

Godspeed
Old 11-07-2014, 10:21   #53
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

if I had that budget and was presently looking for another boat, I think I'd have to at least consider the Chris White Atlantic 42, "Grace" thats for sale here on the forum. Tighter accomodations than our spacious Catalac, but a really nice boat for sailing.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:04   #54

Send me link my email is jaxsdubose at gmail.com and I will send you pics
Old 11-07-2014, 11:10   #55

I don't disagree, there are lots of good cats out there but most are built for the charter indusry and truly not built for offshore although many have done numberous circunavigations. Mine has been certified by the USCG and by Lloyds of London. Resale yes and no. But as Thomas Grays poem goes Where Ignorance is Bliss, tis folly to be wise.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:33   #56

Agreed. A lot of the new cats are manufactured for the charter market. However there are still some manufactured for bluewater cruising.
I have a 2010 Voyage500 owners version. Meeting all the criteria for short handed cruising. I have done over 15000nm of East coast of Africa, Atlantic crossing to Brazil and now cruising the Caribbean, all of this with only 2x persons on board.
Excellent build quality, finish, equipment and factory support.
Meeting all my requirements regarding safety, integrity, supported rudders, integral keels, protected helm position, all lines to cockpit, motors in dedicated engine rooms, speed, space, resale value etc etc. Although a bit more than 100k!

Old 12-07-2014, 04:47   #57

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Looking for Point of Views on the best sailing Catamaran for a couple who cru...

Wow, a 50' offshore rated home built for $100K.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 19:39   #58

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDuBose View Post
Send me link my email is jaxsdubose at gmail.com and I will send you pics
Post them on your profile
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 19:34   #59

Boat: Leopard 44' Catamaran

Elm, if you're interested in the Eastern USA (ICW and FL Keys) be very cautious not to have a mast over 64'... which means you're looking for a CAT under 44'
You will have very few bridges or cables that you can get in under if you're 65' or higher. that means you would be relegated to the "outside" (Atlantic) during high seas or weather.
A larger cruising cat is the preferred boat when you get to Europe, the Pacific Islands, or even Mexico or the BVI... but the Eastern seaboard of the USA does not like masts over 65'

Nick
Nick & LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 09:07   #60

Max 40'. All winches on cockpit. One electric winch. Self tacking Genoa. Furling asymmetric. Best money can buy autopilot.
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruise, sail, sailing