Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2010, 16:24   #16

Boat: 1984 CS 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
If you have enough money to afford a fancy worldwide internet connection you probably have enough money to just go cruising and forget about working.
sounds like good advice

everyone's different, but personally if i was stressing about high speed connections and the close of the market, i'd feel like i was missing out on a lot of what cruising has to offer.

one man's opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 16:33   #17

Boat: Catalina 470
Don't get me wrong, I DO agree with daddle, kb79, etc.....
If you can afford the $$$$ for this set-up.....why work at all????
Just go sailing!!!!

But, in fairness to WhataWorld, he was quite specific in his needs and desires......and he's now got the facts of "reliable, hi-speed internet while cruising".....what he does with those facts are his choice......

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 16:39   #18

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
High speed internet is like high speed on the racetrack.
How fast do you want to spend?
Old 22-07-2010, 16:47   #19

"...and plenty of $$$ each month ($13.50 per Megabyte of thru-put, plus $1.50.min for voice calls), but it's all a business expense..."

So what are the connection speeds? If I trade for say, 20 hours a week, how much will I spend do you think? I know that my example is vague, but I need a better idea of what this is going to cost month-to-month. I feel comfortable with the install cost, but my short-term trading is the problem. I can't have large monthly internet costs eating up my profits, which are already small with short term trading (percentage-wise).

Also, the reason I want to continue working is the fact that I am young (I'm in my 20's) and what to keep building net worth and gaining assets, while I explore the world. This is not my retirement, this is me working towards having my cake and eating it too (sailing around the world, and working towards my financial goals.)
WhataWorld! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:03   #20

Boat: 1984 CS 36
maybe try getting a data tracking program (the only one i'm familiar with is 'netmeter' - google it and it's a freeware download) and just seeing what your data usage is when speed is unrestricted.

multiply by $13/mb (or so i hear ) and you'll at least have an idea of how much you WANT to spend. how much you actually spend depends on speed, you're right, but i'd start there. my guess is you'll find that it's astronomically expensive, but i s'pose it depends on what you're really doing online.
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:05   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Try this link and may help with research, the W35 will give you extended range when coastal sailing.
Good luck Gordon.
Ericsson W35 Mobile Broadband Router, 3G Fixed Wireless Terminal, EDGE, UTMS, 3G, Gateway, HSUPA
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:19   #22

Boat: Catalina 470
Intenet access while out cruising....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataWorld! View Post
So what are the connection speeds? If I trade for say, 20 hours a week, how much will I spend do you think? I know that my example is vague, but I need a better idea of what this is going to cost month-to-month. I feel comfortable with the install cost, but my short-term trading is the problem. I can't have large monthly internet costs eating up my profits, which are already small with short term trading (percentage-wise).
WhataWorld,
I'm not really sure how to answer this.....since I do not wish to come off as a jerk......but quite honestly I don't know what to say....
I'm sitting here with my mouth open in utter surprise.....

So, here's the best I can manage at the moment:

Is English not your native language????
Can you read and comprehend English????
Did you read the pages (links provided) referenced?????
The answers are right there.....the connection speeds, the improvements in thru-put from compression, and even some REAL-WORLD user's monthly costs....
Did you even contact INMARSAT and an INMARSAT vendor, service provider????

Please don't take this personally, but I spent quite a bit of time, answering your questions and pointing you in the right direction, and you come back just minutes later with questions where the answers have already been given to you......and, you obviously haven't contacted anyone at INMARSAT (nor their FleetBroadband vendors)....
So, these things throw up two big red flags to me...
My 28+ years in the industry tells me what these two red flags are VERY rapidly...
a) You're probably not a serious customer.....just a tire-kicker...
and/or
b) You're looking to do it all "on-the-cheap", no matter what protestations you make to the contrary......

If these red flags are not true, then NO harm done, since you DO have all the info and all the answers you asked for.....(you just need to read it...)
And, if they are true, then at least I added to the knowledge of someone!!!

Seriously, fair winds and good luck....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:42   #23

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
John, it is not wasted, i learned a lot and apprciate your thoughts and time. I am sure others have as well, but just have not posted..

brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 18:07   #24

John, I will not contact INMARSAT yet. I am fact-finding, and thought an online community would be a good place to test the waters and discover my options before contacting a company about internet for a boat I have not purchased. I appreciate your help, but did not expect all this vitriol from you.

The data costs for FleetBroadband seem expensive for what I need, with real-time data and level 2 charts. What are my [reliable] options when in port?
Old 22-07-2010, 18:33   #25

Boat: private yacht always moving
best option is not to go sailing and stick with AOL
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 08:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
best option is not to go sailing and stick with AOL
Good lord, that's depressing.
Old 23-07-2010, 10:46   #27

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataWorld! View Post
The data costs for FleetBroadband seem expensive for what I need, with real-time data and level 2 charts. What are my [reliable] options when in port?
Is "multihulls" the right place for this conversation? I'm pretty sure this has been covered elsewhere.

Anyway, IME it depends on the port -- where do you plan to sail and will you stay in marinas? Connections are getting better all the time. I'm not sure how useful this info is likely to be if you're still looking for a boat because by the time you get sailing there will have been major changes.

I used a 3G modem in Mexico, 4G here in Honolulu, and wifi lots of places. All of them at least potentially have the bandwidth you need but all of them go down from time to time. Some marina's have hard wired connections and you can often hang out at an internet cafe. A lot of the wifi is not secured which might be an issue for you. If you're going to remote places (ie. beyond the cell range of major towns) in the developing world don't expect to have useful coverage. Many cruisers are using some combination of wifi and 3G when in port and HF (sailmail/winlink) or Iridium for text and gribbed WX data when beyond the range of those. As technology advances we'll likely adapt.

Tom
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 11:38   #28

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
I sail and work. I use 3g where I can in Mexico, and I have an Iridium Openport system from Telaurus Communications. It is rock solid, but slow and expensive. Luckily my boss pays.

Cruising and working is VERY different though, seriously cuts into my boat work and lounging time. Also changes my whole attitude. Still fun though.
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 11:43   #29

Thanks Tom! I believe you're right that internet connections will advance in the coming years. I won't be setting sail for a few years, so I am hoping and praying that I will be able to be connected for trading like I want to in that time. I have been thinking about my options with possibly less than reliable internet connectivity, and I believe that I may be able to achieve my goals using limits and stops to execute trades if the internet goes out.

As to where I want to cruise, the answer is: everywhere! I want to see more of the world, so I will basically be treating this boat as a floating condo, able to sail anywhere!

Does anyone have any thoughts on where the reliable [worldwide] internet options will be in a few years, based on the direction the industry is heading?
Old 23-07-2010, 13:08   #30

Boat: private yacht always moving
This will make it easy for you so you do not have to do a google search for marine internet

SeaTel marine satellite Internet systems. Broadband satellite Internet access services by Mobile Satellite Technologies

Affordable Marine Satellite Bandwidth for USA Inland Water and Coastal areas

USA "Brownwater" Rates:

Marine Satellite Bandwidth with Global or "Blue Water" Coverage

compatible with
WaveCall™ by Marlink Pricing - For "Bluewater" or open ocean use

Global or "Blue Water" Rates:
Outbound Data Rate Inbound Data Rate Monthly Fee
Shore to Ship Ship to Shore
128 kbps 128 kbps $1,575
256 kbps 256 kbps $2,360
512 kbps 128 kbps $2,495
512 kbps 256 kbps $3,390