Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2011, 16:23   #76

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia
Re: Aussies Don't Complain Boats Are Too Expensive

My wife and I are on track to import a mono back to Oz for our own enjoyment and to live aboard - not for profit. We're in the US right now looking at boats and plan to be in Mexico by early November for a fun winter season there before the crossing.

I know a lot about the import costs and I figure we'll break even and (depending on the boat) maybe even come out a bit ahead... but also have the adventure and a year and a half of cruising included in the cost.
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 16:31   #77

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond

I agree, if your motivation is profit.
But personally, looking for a mono liveaboard is good enough reason. There are just so many more options OS and you can get a lot more 'home' for your $ than here.
I think you missed my point VV it's not a question of profit, more of losses.
The smaller price difference and added effort/time in sailing a mono across the Pacific makes the exercise less viable in my opinion.
If you want a mono I would buy one here, beware of buying some cheap boat OS and bringing it back to OZ.
It could end up costing you a lot more than you think.
Buy quality, remember "the most expensive way works out cheapest in the end".
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 16:58   #78

I found after 9 months of looking in Oz that the quality of the boats I've seen here in the US has been much higher. In general, they have been newer, often better maintained and have many more up grades (newer engine/rigging/sails/etc.)

From what I've found, it seems Americans don't tend to get as attached to their boats and let them sit out for ten years neglected because they can't fathom selling the thing (like the ones I've seen in Oz routinely). They sell them when they're still well looked after because they want the value (especially in the current economic climate).

So yes - if I brought up two identical models from California and QLD on yachtworld - the prices may be similar (perhaps too similar to warrant the journey) but upon getting to the boat and seeing it and sailing it I am finding the boats in the US are of a higher standard for that price.

Take into account the high AU$ and an almost desperate fever with which some folks are selling their boats here (I'm getting 25% off within the first 15-20 minutes of talking to brokers... and I've read of boats selling for 50% off purchase price in the PNW within the last few weeks) and that's enough for me to be happy with my decision.

Just my own observations and motivations for the purchase/trip (not counting the amazing sailing journey).
Old 29-08-2011, 17:21   #79

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
no can do, vessel is only allowed to visit for 12 moths before paying duty/gst unless you are Australian, then its due on import, but more importantly in the event of distress at sea, the distress signal is directed to the vessels country of registration for their action. Would you really want Panama to be handling a search and rescue operation for you and your vessel...or would you prefer Australian SAR on the job? You pay peanuts you get monkeys. (No offense meant to the Panamanian SAR team, but I can imagine there's more vessels registered in cheap to register/tax havens than they can seriously administer the paperwork for.
Hmmm,

Not sure if that is true, mate. I believe that the nation in whose region of responsibility the SAR occurs carries out the SAR. For instance, the well remembered rescue of Tony Bullimore (British registered vessel)in the southern ocean was effected by the Aussie navy, not the Brits ( and a jolly good show it was, too).

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-08-2011, 18:28   #80

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia
I found after 9 months of looking in Oz that the quality of the boats I've seen here in the US has been much higher. In general, they have been newer, often better maintained and have many more up grades (newer engine/rigging/sails/etc.)

From what I've found, it seems Americans don't tend to get as attached to their boats and let them sit out for ten years neglected because they can't fathom selling the thing (like the ones I've seen in Oz routinely). They sell them when they're still well looked after because they want the value (especially in the current economic climate).

So yes - if I brought up two identical models from California and QLD on yachtworld - the prices may be similar (perhaps too similar to warrant the journey) but upon getting to the boat and seeing it and sailing it I am finding the boats in the US are of a higher standard for that price.

Take into account the high AU$ and an almost desperate fever with which some folks are selling their boats here (I'm getting 25% off within the first 15-20 minutes of talking to brokers... and I've read of boats selling for 50% off purchase price in the PNW within the last few weeks) and that's enough for me to be happy with my decision.

Just my own observations and motivations for the purchase/trip (not counting the amazing sailing journey).
OK that's interesting, what I saw was a bit different. But I had bought a boat then and was not looking as hard as you obviously are, so I'll bow to your more informed post.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 18:33   #81

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Check out Western Port Bay in Victoria Australia,

Thats where me and my boat will live, Yaringa Boat harbour,

Western port Bay's outlet is the Tasman Sea and Bass Straight,

I do know what the ocean there is like, and the Extreme conditions it throws up.
I have sailed in it on other peoples Cats.

I know people who go from Melbourne to Brisbane and Bundaberg several times a year to race their boats, and a few of them have Cartwheeled their Cats in the Tasman,
For me, Its not some thing new,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 18:36   #82

hee hee

Like I said... just my own observations. I'm sure someone else looking at different boats in different budgets might have a different story too.

For me it was really about the sail home so I probably would have done it even if it cost a bit more. I love reading your posts and experience DL
Old 29-08-2011, 18:54   #83
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hmmm,

Not sure if that is true, mate. I believe that the nation in whose region of responsibility the SAR occurs carries out the SAR. For instance, the well remembered rescue of Tony Bullimore (British registered vessel)in the southern ocean was effected by the Aussie navy, not the Brits ( and a jolly good show it was, too).

Cheers,

Jim
Yep, pretty much correct, especially in Australian waters, however the initial distress is directed to the country of registration and in most cases coordinated with the authority on control of the SAR waters. So yes Tony Bullimore was of course rescued by the Aussies
However, had he been sailing off Indonesia, with a vessel registered in Panama who knows who would have been interested in his distress signal. Where as if it is registered as Australian or British, the rescue will be supervised and coordinated with those SAR teams.
Basically I'm suggesting its worthwhile insurance when out of home waters and not a good place to cut corners to save $$$.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 03:43   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
(edit)

My take so far is that good boats will not necessarily be all that cheap in US, but good buying can be had nonetheless. The one I've been looking at closely had another potential buyer emerge, with an offer 20% below asking. I was thinking in terms of the same offer until I realised that a 6'6" draft in Qld would be nuts. But the owner did not accept the discounted offer, and remains unsold. The boat has been listed for a while, had one price reduction and the guy will keep it rather than be gouged. I'd do the same.

Now there might be some very desperate folks out there. Problem is the boat will have been on the market quite a while (most have been...), with probably no maintenance. And possibly with a few items sold/exchanged out for poorer quality replacements as a means of squeezing extra value out of the sale. If its real cheap be very careful in your assessment of it.....
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 04:03   #85
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Yep, pretty much correct, especially in Australian waters, however the initial distress is directed to the country of registration and in most cases coordinated with the authority on control of the SAR waters. So yes Tony Bullimore was of course rescued by the Aussies
However, had he been sailing off Indonesia, with a vessel registered in Panama who knows who would have been interested in his distress signal. Where as if it is registered as Australian or British, the rescue will be supervised and coordinated with those SAR teams.
Basically I'm suggesting its worthwhile insurance when out of home waters and not a good place to cut corners to save $$$.
AFAIK, when one's EPIRB is activated, no matter where you are, the RCC in the country where the EPIRB registered is first notified. They take on the role of determining if it a "real" alert eg contacting the primary and secondary contacts (as per their records) and so on. If they determine it is a live emergency and outside their area, they contact the country responsible for whatever area the beacon is transmitting from.

In theory, the RCC of this second country takes over the control of the rescue.

In practice, I imagine that if the EPIRB is registered in a first world country, their RCC might keep a friendly eye on how the rescue pans out.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote