Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2020, 09:47   #16
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
Re: What VHF/AIS Radio Should I Get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathenly Twins View Post
26' cruising sloop, mostly single handed sailing. Preferably something that can overlay AIS data to tablets and laptops. Wireless handset is pretty critical too.
Bundling everything into one device increases the cost and when one function dies calls for another if not supplemental purchase. Divide and conquer.

Another thought is to use older available units which will be cheaper. I use a Vesper Marine Watchmate 850 AIS transceiver...they can see me and I can see them (important). It provides AIS and GPS data to my laptop at the navigation station and is now six years old...I love it and it has been tested to Hawaii and Alaska and back. I have just replaced my portable VHF (13 year old ICOM died) with a new Standard Horizon HX300 that I got on sale...it is more for emergencies as I rarely use a portable.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 09:55   #17

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Buy a decent VHF - Standard Horizon, then a transponder Matsutec Matsutec HP-528A Class B AIS Transponder Marine GPS Navigator _Products_Matsutec brand cheap reliable operates as a GPS/Navigator, or look at Quark https://www.quark-elec.com/ for direct connection to a PC or wifi to a tablet. There are also more sophisticated expensive options like Cortex https://www2.vespermarine.com/ by Vesper.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 09:57   #18

Boat: Malo 39

About a year ago I bought the ICOM vhf/AIS. At the time it was the best value for the money/performance but you will need the cockpit pic also by what you have said. I have been very happy with the ICOM, don’t hesitate to recommend it.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 10:54   #19

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

I don't think you'll get a combined VHF and AIS. For AIS take a look at the Matsutec HP33a. It's a combined AIS receiver, transmitter and GPS, with the ability to put in and follow waypoints. It has a 4.3" colour screen, so is a dedicated unit. It's a really neat piece of kit and only about $400. Not sure where you are, but you can almost certainly buy direct from Matsutec in China.

There are also very similar Onwa machines with chart plotters and AIS B combined for very reasonable prices. I suspect the HP33-A has now been superceded by newer and better models. Onwa may be the parent company and Matsutec a badged version. Worth Googling both on the Interweb thingy. There are some real bargains out there, some with free worldwide charts as part of the package.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 13:58   #20

This is just an FYI. You can build an AIS receiver with a $35 Raspberry Pi computer and a $10 sdr receiver. There are a few additional parts, and nobody to blame if it fails. Requires a little bit of hacker skill.

Since you are planning to be AIS receive only, at least consider hoisting a radar reflector on the mast.
(wish I was sailing. Had to sell my boats)
Happy Sailing,
Tomm
detom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 14:25   #21

Boat: Fusion 40

See below link. Standard Horizon GX2150 for sale AU$500. For information only. I have no connection to this advertisement.
rgds
jOhn

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camm...ais/1262353967
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:09   #22

Boat: 2003 PDQ 36 Capella

I want to compare the Standard Horizon Matrix GX2000 VHF to the GX2400.

I own the Matrix GX2000 but wanted redundancy in case my GPS plotter goes out or malfunctions. So I bought a Standard Horizon GX2400 because it has built-in GPS. They advertise the GX 2400 with this detail: "Built-in integrated 66 channel GPS receiver." Whereas, the Matrix GX2000 that I own doesn't say that. Am I correct in thinking that this will offer redundancy? The new one hasn't been installed and I'm now wondering if it's worth the effort to replace the old one, which is working.
sjm823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 18:44   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm823 View Post

I own the Matrix GX2000 but wanted redundancy in case my GPS plotter goes out or malfunctions. So I bought a Standard Horizon GX2400 because it has built-in GPS. They advertise the GX 2400 with this detail: "Built-in integrated 66 channel GPS receiver." Whereas, the Matrix GX2000 that I own doesn't say that. Am I correct in thinking that this will offer redundancy? The new one hasn't been installed and I'm now wondering if it's worth the effort to replace the old one, which is working.
I just fried my ICOM VHF which was tied into a stand alone Icom AIS transciever. I am in Caribbean, Antigua, so pickings are thin.

I could get a gx2000 but I have to sail to St Marrten to get it.

Or I could get a gx2400 here. I am wondering if I will have interference between the existing IFOM transceiver and a new AIS receiver in a gx2400.

My VHF antenna 50+ feet up the mast and the AIS antenna is a mag mound on the (steel) cabin top. I am guessing I will be OK. Not sure.

A second concern is not being able to get an external GPS antenna for the gx2400, not available here. I may not be able to get sufficient signal where I want to mount the radio. I winder if I could feed the gx2400 gos from another source, like the ICOM AIS?

Can’t find jack about this in the info. Making my head hurt.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 20:42   #24

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm823 View Post

I think it would probably be worth it. Certainly, if you are going offshore. Is your gx2000 currently connected to the plotter/AIS?

The 2400 give you several layers of redundancy. Backup GPS, backup AIS, ability to use DSC easier etc.
Old 17-02-2023, 20:45   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I just fried my ICOM VHF which was tied into a stand alone Icom AIS transciever. I am in Caribbean, Antigua, so pickings are thin.

I could get a gx2000 but I have to sail to St Marrten to get it.

Or I could get a gx2400 here. I am wondering if I will have interference between the existing IFOM transceiver and a new AIS receiver in a gx2400.

My VHF antenna 50+ feet up the mast and the AIS antenna is a mag mound on the (steel) cabin top. I am guessing I will be OK. Not sure.

A second concern is not being able to get an external GPS antenna for the gx2400, not available here. I may not be able to get sufficient signal where I want to mount the radio. I winder if I could feed the gx2400 gos from another source, like the ICOM AIS?

Can’t find jack about this in the info. Making my head hurt.
My gx2200 works fine with the internal antenna. No way of knowing if it will work for you without trying it. Yes, if you connect it to the NMEA2000 bus it should be able to get GPS from that.

The gx2400 doesn't transmit AIS so there will not be any interference. But I am curious how you just fired your current radio. An AIS shouldn't damage a VHF radio. Whatever you did, don't do that again.
Old 18-02-2023, 07:22   #26

Vesper Cortex will solve all your problems and provide some additional enhancements.

At first glance it seems expensive but if you were to purchase all the indivicual components to create the same capabilities, you'd spend more than the Cortex.

The base unit can use your existing VHF antenna for both AIS and VHF. Taking advantage of the highest antenna on the boat will give you the best reception for both and provide the best visibility to others for AIS. It has a built in antenna switch which allows the AIS transmitter to use the same antenna. This is a big plus!

Another bonus is that it also has an antenna input for your backup or auxilliary VHF. This means that you can further share your antenna with a second VHF in addition to the AIS.

I like the Smartphone-like interface of the Cortex. It really integrates the AIS interface, GPS, radio and some monitoring features. The handset unit can be tethered with a power cable or wireless and untethered, where it can be carried like a smartphone to wherever you want on the boat or dock.

The base fuctions like a gateway between NEMA 0183, NEMA 2000, WiFi and BT. It also has a GPS built in. Since this base is waterproof and wirelessly connected to the handsets, it can be mounted anywhere that is convenient. It also can be integrated with any onboard networks that you already have. With the handsets being portable, having both the radio and AIS display in your pocket is really attractive and handy.

If they can get the handset to display Navionic charts, it would do everything I need in one unit. Alternatively, I'd like to see an Smartphone app that interfaces to the base as a backup handset. I believe that it is possible, but I can see why they might be reluctant to provide that function which would reduce the sales of their own handsets. Since this system is software based, there is the possibility for many new functions in the future.

I think this system would solve all your problems. No new antenna required.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 07:48   #27

If the cortex had a normal front panel display, and a mic that fit a persons hand like a normal mic and that didn't rely on a touchscreen. I think it would have more appeal, at least for me. I am fine with wireless add on mics that look like a cell phone, but I want function at the chart table.
Old 18-02-2023, 10:51   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
My gx2200 works fine with the internal antenna. No way of knowing if it will work for you without trying it. Yes, if you connect it to the NMEA2000 bus it should be able to get GPS from that.

The gx2400 doesn't transmit AIS so there will not be any interference. But I am curious how you just fired your current radio. An AIS shouldn't damage a VHF radio. Whatever you did, don't do that again.

I had some corrosion on the ext mic connector and sprayed a tad of WD40 on it. It worked that night but in the am the radio was malfunctioning. The screen backlight gone, would not break squelch, and the screen was blinking off and on. Otherwise perfect. Disconnected external mic at radio and recycled off/on with no difference.

The mic connector was welded into the outside socket. I got it apart with much effort, brought some plastic with it. Pins appear to be OK and still in line, not bent, not touching. But something happened.

MORAL don't use WD40 on electrical connectors.

In Caribbean, replacement $$$$$
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 11:49   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I am fine with wireless add on mics that look like a cell phone, but I want function at the chart table.
You can keep a regular VHF with a mic at the chart table. Just run a jumper coax from that VHF to the Cortex base unit. The base will function as an antenna splitter giving you the best of both worlds.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 20:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
You can keep a regular VHF with a mic at the chart table. Just run a jumper coax from that VHF to the Cortex base unit. The base will function as an antenna splitter giving you the best of both worlds.
Or, just keep the VHF I have now, and save the $1200. No doubt the Vortex is great, but it just isn't my thing. I already have a VHF with AIS, and AIS transmitter, and a remote mic at the helm. And all that did cost much less than the Vortex. There is nothing else the vortex does that interests me.

Tags
ais, radio, vhf