Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2014, 07:57   #16

Re: Vagabond 47

Thanks Willi, sound advice. I will follow your recommendations as I have time & patience these days & have found a reasonable outlet for the wire/cable: what gauge/type should I consider for each?
FXbyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 08:02   #17

Thanks Rob! How do I contact the Leaky Teaky group?
Old 31-07-2014, 08:11   #18

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

googles your friend here. expect zeehag to chime in soon, seems to me shes got one of these in mex.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 16:55   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Correction: Zeehag has a CT 41. Yes, she participates in leakyteaky, or so I've heard.

A.
Old 31-07-2014, 17:09   #20

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

yep, that's right.... my bad.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Lou,
if you get 2 wire cables with +/- youll be fine (You should be able to switch off plus and minus). Forget to think about special cable color's, youll mess yourself up with this, stay on black/minus red/plus and label the cables with a lable printer on each important junction.

Dimensions:
I am sure you will want to use leds as they consume only about 20%.
Depending on this you can use 0,5 mm² but I would consider at least 1 mm².

From this discussion I think you are really an electric newbee so you should have an electrician at your yard to help you a bit. Cable dimensions have to be calculated depending on the watt's you need. Think about the windlass. I'am sure you have got a 20-25 mm² wiring for this 1500W unit or more. I cant help you on this calculations from vienna.. this has got to be done with the knowlege of the boats equipment.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 16:30   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't own one, but I have admired them for years. Nice "salty" looking boat.

Have fun!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 16:51   #23

I am at a point where I must decide on overhauling the Lehman # 4D220 + Borg Warner 1:1 trans, possibly $15K +, or, retrofiting with a working 2500 hour crate Yanmar # 4JHTE 75 HP w/ matching Kanzaki 2.14:1 trans for $6K + labor. Question to those having retrofitted their diesels/trans - is the upfront savings enough to offset the conversion cost + time of the diveshaft, prop & controls? Which diesell & trans is more available in ports of call? I am also aware of the unsuitability issues considering the torque and HP necessary for a baot this heavy and large, but must be able to have a running vessel before winter.
Old 05-08-2014, 13:52   #24

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

I knew some owners. I was told that the water tanks are prone to corrosion and the bowsprit to rot and to check for that. But a wonderful sailboat.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 05-08-2014, 13:58   #25

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Vagabond 47

I think parts availability is a crapshoot either way. Have owned both these motors. A lot more to go wrong on the Yanmars, especially with the turbo model. The parts availability on Yanmars seems to be better. There are many dealers out there.The dealer can look in his parts book and tell you exactly what part is unavailable or ridiculously expensive. Only being a little sarcastic here. Personally, I would take the Lehman hands down and my philosophy is, if you are going to the trouble of a repower, put in a new or factory reman. Repowers are a real pain.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 05-08-2014, 14:31   #26
Marine Service Provider

At first: with an overhaul of 15k there must be something wrong. Look at this
http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/se...ne_details.cfm
Listing ID 10960 Country Canada State (USA) Make Lehman Model Number Ford Lehman Serial Number Cylinders 6 V or Inline Inline Power Value 90
HP
/ 67
KW
@1800
RPM
Application Marine Last Used in ? boat Condition Runner Weight (Kg)
Cooling Method Water Dimensions
Price $8925 CDN for both Lead Time In Stock Cust. Int. Ref. E2217
2 1960 Ford Lehman Diesel
Engines (Daggonhams). One is
rebuilt with 0 hours running
time. The other is a running
take out. Located near Owen
Sound, Ontario.

So you give him CDN 6500 for the rebuilt getting a 6Cyl 90hp Lehman. Consider to overhaul the engine yourself. Nothing dramatic in it once you have it in the shop. Think you might get the gaskets and spares for around USD 1500,-- (Gaskets, new Cylinders, new pistons + piston rings + bearings) +500 for refurbishing the crankshaft.

I like Yanmar very much but they are running up to 3200RPM that makes a working rpm of 2500. The old Lehmans, Perkins, Cummins have a workload rpm of 1800 to 1900 which is quite better - longer lifetime - quiet...
Furthermore the newer engines come with turbocharger or intercooler. These units are good - no problems but anyways - more parts to worry about.

And the gearbox... you just have 3 gears fwd-reverse-idle - could not be much of a problem to change the bearings and synch rings.
Old 05-08-2014, 14:33   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

omygodsandgoddesses!!!!! freeking vagabond 47.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you have my dream boat... err ..my boat on steroids.
if you ever wish to down size, please consider a trade , exact, boat for boat, i give ye mine and i take yerzzzz... isnt worth anything, anyway and will only cause you to DIE!!!!!! look at my signature for how to get in touch with leaky teaky yacht club, and welcome to the world of excellent if not the best cruising sailboats designed or made... preferrably both... lol sorry bob perry., yer good too, but.......
<3
ps..everythng on these boar-ts is easily replaceable, unlike those production boats nowadays that have everyones eyes, yet look exactly the same..like ticky tacky houses on a hillside. i dont like that. i prefer a solid boat with the exact characteristics these present. water tanks?? no big deal. easy access and replacement. fuel tank-- v-build new around old then remove old. easy peasy.
sprit?? use sitka spruce is, after all, a spar. needs strength and rot resistance
whooooot!!!!

btw. you want a caterpillar. i know THE maestro mecanico en mexico...lol.. beg me ..

yanmars seem to overheat with our boats more than the leaky old brit engines...yanmars love performance style boats that slide easily thru water. we need work horses. ...the old brit ones go longer between overhauls, especially the turbo ones as compared to the olde englishe.
research and see, then make up yer mined...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 19:41   #28

Thanks for the replies all, lots to think about; I received an almost instant, Lehman parts quote for likely parts needed from Brian Smith at American Diesel... sane, fair & informative bunch of professionals! Other challenges will present themselves I'm sure, but t's a start. Feeling much better about this challenge having you all out there. Thanks for making me laugh Zeehag!
Old 14-12-2014, 10:50   #29
Marine Service Provider

hi V47 lovers,
I got Calypso at Gibraltar and took her over to Croatia this summer. I am right into a complete repair and upgrade - see the photos.

between 1-3/2015 I will bring up a web site v47.at where I do want to issue informations on repairs and electric circuit plans and so on.

This could be a good platform to consolidate V47 owners. So please drop me an note and as soon as I am online with a reasonable solution I'll let you know.

btw.
Calypso performed like a charm in a Mistral between Mallorca and Sardinia with upt to 61 knots of Wind Speed. Main Sail out with 3 reefs and full 60 sq strong genoa (we could not reef her any more - furler to small and got stuck)
Of course downwinds, we had hullspeed of about 8-9 knots all the time, riding down the waves upto 13 knots. with the pilothouse Calypso let us know that she liked the ride soooo much that there never was any attempt of fear with the crew.
It was like sitting in the front row of a cinema.

fair winds - willi

Old 25-01-2016, 20:45   #30

there is a great vagabond owners group on facebook
with a list you can add your boat to
its called vagabond owners group, on facebook
watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote