Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 12:04   #46

Re: Teak decks

Having spent many hours, days, weeks keeping wood in good condition on yachts I would recommend that you look for a vessel where the teak has been replaced by a synthetic look-a-like.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 19:19   #47

Especially screwed teak decks. Avoid at all costs. Or unless you are a masochist, it will cost you all! I have spent a good amount on time it third world countries where skilled labor is cheap. Soooo many boats getting their teak decks ripped off. And all so glad that they did.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 20:02   #48

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChild View Post
If you want low maintenance teak decks, find a boat that has already had the teak replaced using the epoxy method without screws and bungs or else bite the bullet and do it yourself. Once its done, its done.
Teak loves seawater. If it gets too warm, a quick dousing with the deck washdown pump and it will stay cool and wet for hours. Nothing better than the feeling of wet teak under bare feet.
I can’t imagine my boat without teak decks but to each his own.
VChild from GDY-Kids...
Man, this looks a m a z i n g!!
Agree with everything you write here. There are boats designed for teak deck and nothing can replace it. I love my teak deck, just like a parent love his naughty child...

When one day I will replace my teak deck it will be an epoxy glued, not because of leaks - I have zero, as my deck is solid glass with sub deck between the glass and the teak.

How do you maintain it, except washing?

Semco used to be my favorite but realized it eventually does nothing and good for maybe 3 months. Now I'm working on a water based formula that so far, in testing at few areas, looks good.

This is my original 28 years old teak deck after 15 years in the Caribbean/West Indies, where the rain bring you mud in all kind of colors from the Sahara, the sun is brutal, fresh water to wash cost more than diesel -- but at least the humidity is high...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	228670  
Old 14-12-2020, 20:17   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for the best area on the East Coast/Caribbean to get this type of work done (removing existing teak and replacing with synthetic teak/cork/etc.), from a quality/cost perspective? The quote I got up here in RI is insane. I don't know much about marine prices in Maine, but maybe it's a little cheaper there? It seems logical that somewhere in the Caribbean might have the best prices, but I have no idea about that either.
Forget the east coast... will cost a fortune and difficult finding the real pros.

The following can be good places:
The Dominican Republic: low cost, reliable people
Sint Maarten: more expensive but real pros there
Martinique: LeMarin, reasonable cost and quality of work
St. Lucia: Low cost but you need to monitor the work every second. Teak grows there and you can get a local material from a big lady on the mountains, but you need to have someone cutting and planning it and of course a pro to install (epoxy only!) this project can easily take you there 6 months...
Barbados
Grenada

-- you can start by calling the boatyards there but eventually agree that you hire and pay the workers directly

At any case at all these places you need to be on site all the time so plan a long vacation there.
Old 14-12-2020, 20:26   #50

My wife and I were invited on board for drinks on a beautiful Jongert 20m ketch last year in the Ionian: traditional, original teak decks. The owner swore by salt water only, scrubbing with a firm brush across the grain, as the only way to maintain - mint condition 20+ years later. Lots of good physical work to keep in shape too!
AthenaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 20:28   #51

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Forget the east coast... will cost a fortune and difficult finding the real pros.

The following can be good places:
The Dominican Republic: low cost, reliable people
Sint Maarten: more expensive but real pros there
Martinique: LeMarin, reasonable cost and quality of work
St. Lucia: Low cost but you need to monitor the work every second. Teak grows there and you can get a local material from a big lady on the mountains, but you need to have someone cutting and planning it and of course a pro to install (epoxy only!) this project can easily take you there 6 months...
Barbados
Grenada

-- you can start by calling the boatyards there but eventually agree that you hire and pay the workers directly

At any case at all these places you need to be on site all the time so plan a long vacation there.
Thanks! I wouldn't be looking to replace with teak, but with something synthetic, so sourcing that would also be a concern. A cork product sounds the best so far, I need to get a better idea of how hot it gets compared to teak and flexiteak. Ideally, I'd like to just have nonskid decks, but the way the teak is inlaid into my decks, I think something needs to be put in its place to fill the thickness. I would definitely want to oversee the project.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 21:57   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaB View Post
My wife and I were invited on board for drinks on a beautiful Jongert 20m ketch last year in the Ionian: traditional, original teak decks. The owner swore by salt water only, scrubbing with a firm brush across the grain, as the only way to maintain - mint condition 20+ years later. Lots of good physical work to keep in shape too!
Jongert is a great Dutch built. They only use Burmese 10mm teak, same as Contest, HR, Najad, Swan and alike.
Indeed a regular salt water washing is good for teak as it eliminates mold but never never use a hard brush at any grain direction. The best results can be achieved using a mop with white (Scotch like) soft scrubbing pad
Old 15-12-2020, 20:59   #53

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
VChild from GDY-Kids...
Man, this looks a m a z i n g!!
Agree with everything you write here. There are boats designed for teak deck and nothing can replace it. I love my teak deck, just like a parent love his naughty child...

When one day I will replace my teak deck it will be an epoxy glued, not because of leaks - I have zero, as my deck is solid glass with sub deck between the glass and the teak.

How do you maintain it, except washing?

Semco used to be my favorite but realized it eventually does nothing and good for maybe 3 months. Now I'm working on a water based formula that so far, in testing at few areas, looks good.

This is my original 28 years old teak deck after 15 years in the Caribbean/West Indies, where the rain bring you mud in all kind of colors from the Sahara, the sun is brutal, fresh water to wash cost more than diesel -- but at least the humidity is high...
Thanks DeValency. Your deck looks fantastic. Hard to believe it is 28 yrs. old. Like yours, my original teak decks never leaked. Lord Nelson teak decks only had screws going into solid fiberglass stringers, not cored decking.
Like you said, some boats are just meant to have teak. Restoring them any other way just doesn’t do them justice.
On my boat, the interior is solid Burmese teak with natural stone countertops and plush interior. The teak carries throughout the boat including the cockpit and decks. She was built as a luxury yacht. And yes, the well designed teak decks are part of that luxury. I feel fortunate that I could restore her to her pristine better than original condition.
As for concerns about weight, it was considered in the rig design. She has a respectable SA/Displacement ratio of 17.21 due to the large headsail off the bowsprit and can hold her own quite well for her class.
I too have decided to stop using Semco. Will just be washing with fresh seawater.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 05:58   #54
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Jongert is a great Dutch built. They only use Burmese 10mm teak, same as Contest, HR, Najad, Swan and alike.
Indeed a regular salt water washing is good for teak as it eliminates mold but never never use a hard brush at any grain direction. The best results can be achieved using a mop with white (Scotch like) soft scrubbing pad
Nobody in the EEA can use Burmese teak in the last 15 years , it’s import is banned
Old 21-12-2020, 23:25   #55

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Not a fan of teak decks.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck