Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2021, 23:24   #1

Boat: Moody 47
Oyster, Tayana, Moody, Northwind or HR for blue water?

Hi all,

Just after people's opinions regarding a possible change of boat for us in the near future. Currently have a 41ft AWB (2004 year) which we have owned for 4 years and sailed many miles in her, including offshore etc.

Anyway, we are thinking of going for something bigger and more "blue water" and reckon we could spend up to 175K euro (or equivalent - could go to 200k but not ideal) so know we will likely be looking at an older boat than what we have now.

Plan is for circumnavigation.

Criteria for next boat are safety, centre cockpit, storage, tankage, decent aft cabin and usability for 2 people as we sail as a couple all the time.

Current thoughts and shortlist are:
Oyster 45 (upper end of budget)
Tayana 48 (can be bought under budget)
Moody 44 (well under budget) but is it enough of a size leap from our current 41 ft AWB?
Moody 46/47 (upper end of budget)
Northwind 47 (well under budget)
A Hallberg Rassy in the size range 45 to 50 ft is a possibility.

I understand that whatever we went for we would likely have to spend money on upgrading nav system etc (as our current boat has brand new Raymarine Axiom Pro MFD and Doppler radar etc, as well as loads of solar and wind etc)

So, thoughts please?

DTD
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 04:39   #2

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Oyster, Tayana, Moody, Northwind or HR for blue water?

I think everything on that list would be a suitable choice, depending on condition. I would say that the Oyster and HR are at the top end of build/finish quality, depending on the vintage the Moody is close or a little lower, and the Tayana and Northwind would be on the low end of that scale. That being said, I think the Tayana and Northwinds are both great boats, and potentially great values. Given that, I would focus more on what's available in what condition.

Study the available models of each brand that are within your budget. Determine a list based on which models have the non-changeable/hard-to-change features you need (ie. enough storage, enough cabins, generator, air conditioning, layout, etc.). Then the thing that would rank the available boats on your list would be condition and changeable equipment (electronics, water maker, ground tackle, etc.).

Everything is price dependent, but I would go for a boat in better condition over a boat with more of the equipment you want. Just try to prioritize based on how expensive/difficult it will be to upgrade/change the things that are deficient or that you don't like.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 04:46   #3

The ideal scenario is to find a boat that the seller loved and put a lot of money and care into maintaining, but for some reason is forced to sell. Or who had prepped their boat for setting out for cruising doing all the repairs and upgrades, and then decided they weren't up to it or the wife backed out or something like that.

Obviously everyone's circumstances are different, but it can often make sense to pay a little more than absolutely necessary up front for a boat that you can start using sooner, than getting the best possible deal and having to spend a couple years getting the boat ready, even if on paper you spend less in the second scenario. Having a boat and not being able to use it sucks.
Old 20-10-2021, 05:37   #4

Yes, wise words and that is what we did with our present boat (wait for a decent example , one owner, well maintained etc).

I am erring towards a Tayana 48 (only thing putting me off that is the lack of bunk room, so no 3rd cabin to use for storage) or the Northwind at the cheaper end.

Moody we like but at the upper end and not sure if as good as Tayana or Northwind?

DTD
Old 20-10-2021, 05:50   #5

Where do you want to buy?
Old 20-10-2021, 05:52   #6

No rush at present just looking at options and to be honest geographical location not too important but then again it could depend upon the tax implications as currently in Europe.
Old 20-10-2021, 06:16   #7

Other brands to keep in mind that you might find in your price range are older Swans, Contest, Taswell, and Hylas.

I forgot to add Amel.
Old 20-10-2021, 06:21   #8

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

DTD, I can comment on a couple of those brands - we live aboard our Tayana 48DS (since 2004!) and good friends own a Moody 44 and an Oyster 45 (I think).
In all cases, the basic boats are VERY sound - well built of good materials. The devil is in the details - how ancillary equipment like windlass', winches and electrical/electronic equipment were installed and maintained, age and maintenance of tankage, seals, chainplates, etc. Other stuff like hard groundings, flooding events, etc. will also have an influence [example: I know of two boats (one a T48, the other a Sabre) that flooded above the floorboards because of an identical "dripless" shaft seal problem - both boats would need extensive inspection, IMHO.]

From what I know of the other brands you mention, I suspect the same applies, so the particulars of any given boat you are thinking about will depend more on those factors, not the Brand name.

Edit to add: The Tayana 48 is "semi-custom", so you will find many different interior variations. We have three staterooms on ours: large aft w/centerline queen, double bunks portside forward and the V-berths.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
T48DS
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 08:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Other brands to keep in mind that you might find in your price range are older Swans, Contest, Taswell, and Hylas.

I forgot to add Amel.
Not sure on the Amel as we would want a decent aft cabin with an island berth. Also not sure on a ketch rig, although I hear the Super Maramu are awesome!
Old 20-10-2021, 09:47   #10

Boat: Island Packet 350

They are all excellent boats. I would also include Island Packet Yachts in the mix (there are several currently circumnavigating).
It all boils down to your personal preferences, needs, wants, etc.
Good luck in your search. It would have been beneficial if you could have made it to the US Boat show that just concluded in Annapolis.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 09:56   #11

In terms of numbers, AWBs dominate the ARC rally pretty much every year. 46 out of the 152 monohulls in the 2019 ARC rally were AWBs from Bene, Jean & Bav. This has been the case for at least the last 10 years. How much more blue water than the Atlantic do you want?
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 10:21   #12

Boat: Gozzard 36

You should also look at a Gozzard (Canadian builder) ....excellent craftmanship and quality build with many, many thoughtful extras that really improve the quality of the cruising life
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 11:23   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethedog View Post
Hi all,

Just after people's opinions regarding a possible change of boat for us in the near future. Currently have a 41ft AWB (2004 year) which we have owned for 4 years and sailed many miles in her, including offshore etc.

Anyway, we are thinking of going for something bigger and more "blue water" and reckon we could spend up to 175K euro (or equivalent - could go to 200k but not ideal) so know we will likely be looking at an older boat than what we have now.

Plan is for circumnavigation.

Criteria for next boat are safety, centre cockpit, storage, tankage, decent aft cabin and usability for 2 people as we sail as a couple all the time.

Current thoughts and shortlist are:
Oyster 45 (upper end of budget)
Tayana 48 (can be bought under budget)
Moody 44 (well under budget) but is it enough of a size leap from our current 41 ft AWB?
Moody 46/47 (upper end of budget)
Northwind 47 (well under budget)
A Hallberg Rassy in the size range 45 to 50 ft is a possibility.

I understand that whatever we went for we would likely have to spend money on upgrading nav system etc (as our current boat has brand new Raymarine Axiom Pro MFD and Doppler radar etc, as well as loads of solar and wind etc)

So, thoughts please? DTD
All the boats listed seem appropriate except the Northwind which I am not familiar with; I'm sure there are others. However, as you are buying used, the real world will be choices among boats that are available and hopefully in your area. Buying outside your local area is problematic and will increase the cost.

Your search may be more productive if you draft a list of desired specifications and research what boats meet them to also include in your list. You can use saildata.com or Sail Calculator Pro to gather that data.

Lastly, visiting available boats will confirm if you are on the correct track and give you look into current market prices.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 12:08   #14

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethedog View Post
Not sure on the Amel as we would want a decent aft cabin with an island berth. Also not sure on a ketch rig, although I hear the Super Maramu are awesome!
I really would not let ketch rig put you off if all else is right. Or cutter come to that, they both have a heir benefits.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 12:08   #15

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Sorry, their benefits.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, oyster, water, wind