Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2018, 05:13   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43
Keel damage or not?

2010 Beneteau 43

Inspecting my Keel and noticed the hairline cracks at Keel/hull joint. Cracks are only along first 1/3 of Keel.

Inspected Keel bolts and surrounding area. No cracks, deformation or damage of any sort.

Would be great to get some advice on this. Is it just years of paint build up or am I staring at a serious issue.

Cheers
J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2823.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	170162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2824.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	170163  

langar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 05:41   #2

Re: Keel damage or not?

Did you retorque the keel bolts?
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 06:20   #3

Not at this point. Initial discovery.
Old 20-05-2018, 06:27   #4

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

In the Owner’s Manual that came with my Contest 48, it says that it is normal to find cracks where the keel meets the hull and sometimes it will ooze rust. It says to grind out the cracks and fill with epoxy.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 08:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by langar27 View Post
2010 Beneteau 43

Inspecting my Keel and noticed the hairline cracks at Keel/hull joint. Cracks are only along first 1/3 of Keel.

Inspected Keel bolts and surrounding area. No cracks, deformation or damage of any sort.

Would be great to get some advice on this. Is it just years of paint build up or am I staring at a serious issue.

Cheers
J
That looks like more than a "hairline" crack to me. I am betting the gap on the forward end there is at least 1/16" maybe even 1/8". That might be a photo issue and I am seeing a problem that is not there. If you can feel the crack with your fingernail, that's more than "hairline."

A couple things worry me about what I see. The fact that it is only on the front of the keel suggests that it was caused by a grounding. That means SOMETHING must have moved, even if it is not obvious to your eyes.

A serious concern is that I see rust weeping from the crack. I am guessing that the keel on this boat is lead... if it is, the only possible source of rust is the keel bolts themselves. That would be bad. It means seawater is reaching the bolts. In an oxygen poor environment like the keel joint, the stainless steel (I assume...) bolts will corrode and lose diameter and strength.

If the keel is cast iron, of course the rust could be from that, or from the bolts, or both. I don't know how to tell looking from the outside.

I would definitely have this looked at by a local professional. I don't see this as something to write off as obviously "no problem." It might be... but it also might be serious. You should have a conversation with the factory. If this model has a history of this, they might be able to help you with a fix, or just tell you "no problem."

If you decide to re-torque the keel bolts, take a marker and put an orientation mark on both the nut and the bolt. If the nut turns when you torque it, that's a potential issue. I wouldn't sleep well without knowing why that happened. If the BOLT moves, even a teeny, tiny, little bit, when you torque the nut, that bolt is compromised and that's a BIG problem.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 08:45   #6

two options:
-Grind, gouge and clean out the crack as best as possible and inject sealant as deep as you can. Create a fillet on the outside. Hope for the best.
-Drop the keel, clean it up properly, paint it properly to stop rusting/expansion and caulk the whole thing properly. (I assume that's a cast iron keel)

It's possible the keel is flexing the hull a lot on a light production boat like that, so flexible seal would be best IMO.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 09:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by langar27 View Post
2010 Beneteau 43

Cheers
J
The mast weight excerts more pressure on the keel around it's 1st and 2nd bolts and that is why you see a gap in first 1/3. Check the base of the mast support or mast inside the hull. Check if there is water ingress in your bilge. You may have cracks perpendicular to the keel on each side of your hull not seen by eye which may bring in drops of seawater at first. This may get worst later on. Then you will have to remove the keel and reinstall it properly with new bolts and so on. Don't panic but don't underestimate it. The gap should not exist there. It may have been caused by grounding or even by a severe broach or a motion in rough seas, etc. Don't leave the boat unattended in deep water for long periods of time. If your boat is insured ask your insurer to see and cover your damage. Good luck and if you need to know more I am at your disposal.
iliasgeorgiadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 10:12   #8

Boat: 55 fleming

If it were my boat I would drop the Keel and inspect the bolts. Stainless is subject to corrosion. It would not make for a fun day if your keel falls off!
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 10:31   #9

Boat: Beneteau

I'm a Beneteau owner as well and if there are no cracks in the bilge it's probably a little flex of the outer skin. The strength of these boats is it that big grid. If that cracks I'd worry but chances are the hull will flex and cause gel coat cracks under some circumstances. If you are concerned as I was when I had some cracks you can grind it out and have a better look.

Might be a good idea to look at the keel bolts to ease your mind but the internal grid is shockingly thick and strong as I couldn't get through mine with a holesaw to run a pipe.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 11:30   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
In the Owner’s Manual that came with my Contest 48, it says that it is normal to find cracks where the keel meets the hull and sometimes it will ooze rust. It says to grind out the cracks and fill with epoxy.

Fair winds and calm seas.
That sounds like a manufacturers testimonial as to don't buy my product.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 02:31   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

As a surveyor I would be asking for it to be dropped and inspected. I imagine that it would be a fairly easy job as it looks like the front half is already loose?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 03:49   #12

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I have attached some pics of the keel bolts and surface area around the bolts.

Like to know everyone's thoughts after now having both external and internal photo's.

Cheers everyone.
J.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	170240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	170241  

Name:	IMG_1356.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	170242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	170243  

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	170244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1365.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	170245  

Name:	IMG_1364.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	170248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352 (2).jpg
Views:	247
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	170249  

Old 21-05-2018, 04:48   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
A serious concern is that I see rust weeping from the crack. I am guessing that the keel on this boat is lead... if it is, the only possible source of rust is the keel bolts themselves.
Its a cast iron keel and they all do that. Clean out the crack, fill with something flexible like sikaflex, paint over and go sailing.

I see someone has put an earth wire on the keel, That won't have been part of the Beneteau standard build and probably done by the US importer. I would remove it but then we don't wire up everything in Europe were the boat was built.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 04:52   #14

Boat: Union cutter 33

Know as a Catalina smile usually caused by keel flexing grind a channel along the crack and use a product called G Flex will solve your problem after you retorque keel bolts you ll find they won’t even move
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 06:32   #15

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Its a cast iron keel and they all do that. Clean out the crack, fill with something flexible like sikaflex, paint over and go sailing.

I see someone has put an earth wire on the keel, That won't have been part of the Beneteau standard build and probably done by the US importer. I would remove it but then we don't wire up everything in Europe were the boat was built.

Pete
that is a good idea!. After some 'expert' advise to drop the keel, and reseal it(A big job!) I have chosen to do a simpler thing: just brush clean the joint to remove all rust and redone the joint, using Gflex epoxy, since it has a very adhesion and some flexibility. No more problems!
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, Keel damage