Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 22:18   #61

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Is the market really this bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
He appears to be a shipwright and she is a fashion industry apparatchick, making him the only sailor of the pair. He bought the boat before meeting her and planned a world cruise then she came along and made it a double act. Chances are he paid around 100 for it before starting work. I reckon 79 is a great price. For starters the sails and electronics were new when they left Spain.

If anything, this little episode shows that women can be an expensive luxury.

Their new boat will no doubt suck up a pile of $$$$ as well. It needs plenty of work.
...I wondered why he would switch the newer HR for an older design. but maybe she was an influence. When I check out their blog, it's like "Vogue" goes sailing.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 22:42   #62

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...I wondered why he would switch the newer HR for an older design. but maybe she was an influence. When I check out their blog, it's like "Vogue" goes sailing.
Bigger and faster are the reasons they give. And I think the price was right.
Old 24-01-2012, 03:15   #63

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Agreed.

I am seriously NOT a fan of Halsey Herreshoff who IMO was a weirdo trading on the family name in order to make money. No doubt some of you will differ. Anyway, my guess is she picked it for the goegeous loungeroom down below, the desire all women have for a bigger nest and the low price that always follows unfashionable designs. He seems to have the skill needed to fix it all insofar as the timberwork is concerned.

They do make a little money out of the "Vogue" thing but I kind of doubt that it is all worthwhile. For sure he doesn't think so.

In pure monetary terms he is far worse off than he used to be but perhaps having her in his life brings other rewards. I couldn't possibly comment.

They remain a particularly interesting couple who will be forever joined or split by the ocean while I remain a fascinated fly on the wall.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 05:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I'd buy it for that price.... I guess I'm not used to the new reality of the boat market.
Send him the money. You've got yourself a boat and he's got his boat sold. Done deal!

Oh, wait. You weren't serious, were you? And that's exactly why the price on this one keeps going down. Sellers get seduced by all the people out there who tell them "nice boat, nice price, I would buy it." But then they realize that there are precious darned few (if any) who will say "nice boat, nice price, here's the money, I'll take it."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 05:48   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

Boats are still selling as long as they are the right boat, at the right price, and the right location for the other 2 items.

I brought my current boat last year after it had been listed only 2 months and traded-in the boat I had (a Cal-39). My old boat sold within 2 months of my trading it in.
Old 24-01-2012, 06:45   #66

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Send him the money. You've got yourself a boat and he's got his boat sold. Done deal!

Oh, wait. You weren't serious, were you? And that's exactly why the price on this one keeps going down. Sellers get seduced by all the people out there who tell them "nice boat, nice price, I would buy it." But then they realize that there are precious darned few (if any) who will say "nice boat, nice price, here's the money, I'll take it."
Problem is that I already have a boat.... which I said that I bought in 2010.

I do take back what I said about the limited marketing they are doing for the boat. I thought they only had it listed on their website. It wasn't until I looked harder that I saw it on Yachtworld too.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 06:46   #67
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
He appears to be a shipwright and she is a fashion industry apparatchick, making him the only sailor of the pair...If anything, this little episode shows that women can be an expensive luxury.
I have perused their blog, and I would be hesitant to say that he is the only sailor of the pair. I have noticed that she seems to love the glory and grace of charging through the water at 7 knots with the rail in the water. Only "real sailors" get that, and she writes about it as well as anyone. She seems to be loving every minute of it. And, she has further seemed to strike a pretty solid balance between her fashion needs and the realities of cruising. Other such women would be pissing and moaning about what the humidity did to their hair, etc., but she has found a way to blend both of these interests. Good for her!

Further, she seems to be the cook, photographer and, most importantly, "marketer" of the pair. Not that he doesn't seem to snap some pretty good pictures as well! They seem to be making a real go at financing their cruising adventure much to the distaste of some onlookers, but, again, good for them.

As far as their cruising boat "upgrade," they are no doubt the beneficiaries and victims of the horrible market we are in. The HR that they are selling is top notch in a world where maybe only a few demand top notch. So, they may have to settle for less than a top notch price. I guess they should have sold their HR first before moving on, no matter how inconvenient that might have been.

A Leopard 45 went for under $149k just a few months ago with nothing wrong with it (other than missing cushions) that isn't wrong with the ones that are asking $250k. A Beneteau 44CC is selling for under $79k while the next best priced one is 120k with most asking 160k.

A buyer ready to buy that is willing to sit around for 6 months waiting for the right distressed opportunity is certainly in the drivers seat.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 06:57   #68

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I love this market! I was looking at my currant boat last year and noted it had been on the market for 6mos. When I saw it I tossed a offer for about 1/2 of what he was asking not in anyway expecting the seller to take it. Well the next week I was looking for a shipper!
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 07:04   #69

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Well..the market is definitely not good right now. In 2009 we looked at Sundowner, a 32' Westsail in Slidell, La that has circumnavigated 3 times and was well equipped. The engine however had 6,000 hours on it, and the seller wanted $48k for it.

Westsail 32's in great shape are on the market for $55-85k depending. We offered $35k for Sundowner in May 2009..and the buyer politely told us no way. So we looked around for another year..looked at other boats..and saw Sundowner was still on the market, collecting dust sitting in a slip. We came back in May 2010 and offered $30k for it..the buyer reluctantly accepted.

So we bought her for $30k, and have since put $21k into her with a new engine, fuel tanks, and all related systems. We feel like we got a good deal because now we've only spent $51k and she is bascially brand new.
Cost | Sundowner sails again

Unless you are ready to go cruising right now(small percent of the population)..equipment..to me doesn't add a whole lot of value because you will have to replace it in 5-10 years..whenever you stop dreaming and get out there.

On the same topic..We recently sold a house in one of the best neighborhoods in Baton Rouge for a $30k hit...lol

The market is bad right now..I don't think anyone should look at boats or houses as investments..I'm sure there are some but for the most part...

And I agree with the above boat math. You buy a boat for $X, spend $X on Refit and only can sell for $X. Great way of describing it. You are buying experiences mostly.

I also agree that it was a little foolish to buy a second boat without having a buyer for the first...Goodluck to them.
Dani

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 07:05   #70

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
I have perused their blog, and I would be hesitant to say that he is the only sailor of the pair. I have noticed that she seems to love the glory and grace of charging through the water at 7 knots with the rail in the water. Only "real sailors" get that, and she writes about it as well as anyone. She seems to be loving every minute of it. And, she has further seemed to strike a pretty solid balance between her fashion needs and the realities of cruising. Other such women would be pissing and moaning about what the humidity did to their hair, etc., but she has found a way to blend both of these interests. Good for her!

Further, she seems to be the cook, photographer and, most importantly, "marketer" of the pair. Not that he doesn't seem to snap some pretty good pictures as well! They seem to be making a real go at financing their cruising adventure much to the distaste of some onlookers, but, again, good for them.

As far as their cruising boat "upgrade," they are no doubt the beneficiaries and victims of the horrible market we are in. The HR that they are selling is top notch in a world where maybe only a few demand top notch. So, they may have to settle for less than a top notch price. I guess they should have sold their HR first before moving on, no matter how inconvenient that might have been.
Thanks for your understanding jzk. Not everyone gets the point in the right way.

Regarding our boat, we should have sold her before we left Europe, lesson learned. Never thought it would be so hard to sell a boat here in the Caribbean. The location of the boat is definitely a challenge and despite the much interest we have had on the boat, most people must plan carefully before flying in to see the boat here in Carib and to get her delivered back home to the US, Europe or Australia (wherefrom most potential buyers are)..

We live on our new boat already and we have started the (expensive) refit so we really wish to sell asap. If we had 2, 3 or 10 years to waste, we could wait here for the right buyer and sell for the 119k we first were hoping for. Now we do not have this time, we are young and hungry and want to get out traveling again. We figured we can cope with the massive loss of money, as long as we can continue our travel plans soon. Happiness and freedom is more important than money. So let's now hope the right buyer who understands what a good value this boat is, will step forward soon... our brokers are working hard on it as we speak.
Old 24-01-2012, 07:15   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Bigger and faster are the reasons they give. And I think the price was right.
...Yes...probably true but I owned a Tartan Blackwatch 37 with wood cabin sides. Talk about maintenance. If you let the finish lift, you're in for a long varnish job. My feeling is the maintenance schedule will be up'd by 30% at least. Slip rates higher and so on. I would question faster down wind though. I wish them the best.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 24-01-2012, 08:31   #72

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldtour201 View Post
Now we do not have this time, we are young and hungry and want to get out traveling again. We figured we can cope with the massive loss of money, as long as we can continue our travel plans soon. Happiness and freedom is more important than money.
Yes! People can make..and lose money in many different ways. Some people have special needs children that they didn't "anticipate". Some people are befallen to bad health that they didn't "anticipate". Some people lose money in a bad market..some people save money in a bad market..

You only live once..and life can be so short..ending suddenly for a variety of reasons. Embrace your good fortune and try not to think about the money you will lose on your boat..you are only going to gain freedom..and that is something many will never attain.

Truly wish you guys all the best!
Dani

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:47   #73

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL... you have not been keeping up with the HR news have you... and to be honest I've sailed both and I'll take the Bendi any day thanks...
Be interested in your handful... next time look behind the gloss... be surprised how shotty it can be in a 'Better Standard' boat...
Dream On....
LOL, that's the funniest thing I've read here in a while. Beneteau makes a decent boat. Hallberg Rassy makes an excellent boat. There is really no comparision.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:57   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
LOL, that's the funniest thing I've read here in a while. Beneteau makes a decent boat. Hallberg Rassy makes an excellent boat. There is really no comparision.
...+1
Old 24-01-2012, 09:59   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldtour201 View Post
Regarding our boat, we should have sold her before we left Europe, lesson learned. Never thought it would be so hard to sell a boat here in the Caribbean. The location of the boat is definitely a challenge and despite the much interest we have had on the boat, most people must plan carefully before flying in to see the boat here in Carib and to get her delivered back home to the US, Europe or Australia (wherefrom most potential buyers are)...
Although the site is certainly a lifestyle site as much as anything (I read it daily), one has to appreciate the honesty and realism by the fact that Taru (I assume) responded to posting here on CF.

I AM intrigued by numerous comments, including this one, of the difficulty of selling a boat in the Caribbean. I'll keep that in mind when I am ready to buy (damn, I wish my house was sold).

Taru and Alex, best of luck in selling your boat... and someone will have scored one heck of a deal.