Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 01:06   #1

Hull scraping

Hi

I am trying to do most repairs on my new yacht and my first yacht( a 1975 triton 26 )myself to cut costs, the hull needs scraping as i am trying to get another 6 months before anti fouling, it has fairly heavy Growth, is this easy enough to do with a snorkel and weight belt ( I'm not sure what is the best tool to use) or should I just pay the $300 and get divers down? These are probably obvious questions but this is all new to me.
vistech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 02:08   #2

Boat: SeaWind 850
Re: Hull scraping

I was forced to clean my prop to make way to the slip for lifting out. It was hard experence. Fortunately my prop is only 2' belowe surface.
One hand holding prop other with scraper (spatula) scraping, my body
surfacing (no weight belt) rubing on boat growth. Take care during your try. I do bet it will be first and last time you will do it wilingly. All The Best.
cszosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 02:35   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

I think easy is a relative term! Likely will get you plenty of excercise!

Never done it meself (tidal waters over here so no need) but plenty others seem to do the same - my guess is that the best tool will be a mix of them using trial and error for what works well with you / your boat......and I suspect one of the secrets would be on settling for less than perfect!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 03:16   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Snorkel and weight belt will help. The weight will help save some energy trying to stay submerged. Use a plastic broad knife and a metal paint scraper for the really glued on stuff. A scotchbrite scourer is also useful.

Also, go buy a cheap suction cup dent puller. This will allow you to hang on to something while you push and pull scraping. If you have any tidal current, another thing that helps is to run some floating rope back alongside the boat (tied off to the bow). This lets you grab hold of something if you have to pull against back against the flow.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 03:18   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Give it a go yourself, your boat has a fin keel and spade rudder so it's not a huge wetted surface.You will be surprised that heavy looking growth will come off relatively easy. I've used a 2" and 3" paint scraper with success in the past. Wear a wetsuit to keep the cuts to your skin to a minimum, wear gloves, and another tip, tie shock cord or light cord around your wrist to the tool you are using , you dont want to lose tools to the mud ! I reckon you will knock the job over in a couple of hours.
geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 03:21   #6

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I reckon for the first time, I will throw away some money and let someone else do the hard work while I have a beer
And then maintain it from there. It's not like I don't have plenty other stuff to do.
vistech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 03:33   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistech1 View Post
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I reckon for the first time, I will throw away some money and let someone else do the hard work while I have a beer
And then maintain it from there. It's not like I don't have plenty other stuff to do.
There is no rocket science to hull cleaning - in your shoes I would give it a go and just see how you get on - you can give up and then spend $300 later! But might be surprised that it is no biggie.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 06:06   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I use a putty knife with rounded corners. Wetsuit too. The part close to the waterline can be done from a dinghy.

In a really, real bad case, it took me four dive sessions to clean a 26', full long shallow keel ship. The 300 bucks remain in my pocket then.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 08:16   #9

Boat: Santana2023

Be careful. ALOT of marinas lose their mind about that because you WILL be removing the paint and thats a problem they dont want from the EPA/DEP. I only do commercial vessels while doing ships husbandry now but alot of marinas have implimented a no in water cleaning policy around here now. Most of my cleaning practices involve in water pressure washing with a rotating jet nozzle,but you shouldnt let it get to the point where you NEED to scrape it. My advice is do it regularly with a glove just to get the soft growth off.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 08:33   #10

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter

Lots of good advise here.I'll add one more. Wear gloves! barnecles+hands=blood
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 08:42   #11

Boat: Santana2023

I dont always do ships husbandry, but when I do, I make sure to wear sleeveless shirts..I do however wear gloves..And yes people think im psychotic. This was taken at Barneys commercial dock in Atlantic City changing a 60 inch wheel from a commercial vessell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	55391
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 09:45   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

300 dollars to dive and clean a hull????!!!!! omg.
is 50 dollars us here in mexico for a 41 ft monohull......do it yourself to save much money--when i do my work i use a plastic scraper so i dont gouge the hull.....be careful as barnies carry staph bacteria in many locales.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 09:51   #13

Even here in Marina Del Rey the Going rate is $1.00 a foot and if severely encrusted $2.00 to 2.50 MAX!
Old 21-02-2013, 09:55   #14

You can do it. I've found a small SS spatula with the thin blade maybe 2+" wide to work great. (notice the rounded corners) Wear gloves.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 10:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistech1 View Post
Hi

I am trying to do most repairs on my new yacht and my first yacht( a 1975 triton 26 )myself to cut costs, the hull needs scraping as i am trying to get another 6 months before anti fouling, it has fairly heavy Growth, is this easy enough to do with a snorkel and weight belt ( I'm not sure what is the best tool to use) or should I just pay the $300 and get divers down? These are probably obvious questions but this is all new to me.
$300? Where are you, Monaco? Going rate around here for a bottom cleaning is $2.50 a foot.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote