Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 04:07   #16

Re: Electric motor on dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthought View Post
I have used both electric (Torqeedo) and petrol powered. I can write and give pages and emails of the headache and how bad a company Torqeedo is along with there products more then 5. The idea is great and I think electric motors are great in a lake or with casual use. If you are doing any kind of cruising and require more then the very casual use then until its been designed by people that are full time cruisers and maybe some technology changes I would stick with petrol.
What are the pages and emails about?

Except for the tiler when cocked up is weak and bad design so it can be removed, it is a far superior outboard than my Tohatsu 3 1/2hp. I been using and owning outboards for exactly 50 years, the Torqeedo has been a dream so far as a small tender outboard in so many ways.

So I will be interested to see if there are reliability issues in your pages and emails, as I have only owned it for 4 months.

Cheers ,
Peter.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 05:28   #17

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

If I had a dollar for every 30 dollar pair of blue jeans I ruined handling batteries...
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 06:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
If I had a dollar for every 30 dollar pair of blue jeans I ruined handling batteries...
With Lithium that will not happen, catch fire maybe, not as hot as petrol in the burning, maybe.

Cheers, Keep on Sailing,
Peter.
Old 16-09-2016, 06:50   #19

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

The bane of cruising is the daily operation of the generator for the "charging of the batteries."

That said, I suppose charging one more battery isn't going to necessarily require running the generator for longer periods time.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 16:27   #20

Quote:
The bane of cruising is the daily operation of the generator for the "charging of the batteries."

That said, I suppose charging one more battery isn't going to necessarily require running the generator for longer periods time.
The Torqeedo plugs into my solar panels at the stern with a two core cable cigarette lighter connection to the solar panel and and a small jack to the Torqeedo no charging box just the two core cable. Plus I have a cigarette lighter jack in the cockpit to the main house batteries but have not had to use it yet.

Cheers, Peter.
Old 17-09-2016, 04:22   #21

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"

Quote:

Charging 1 more battery (properly) is going to take longer!
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 08:38   #22

Boat: Freedom 38

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a propane (LPG) motor as another option. I have a small Minn Kota that I've used with the battery inside a case, but it's a bit of a pain and I don't do much dingying. A friend with a Cal20 has an LPG motor that seems to work quite well though it's not fast either. Would it be that difficult to fill the tank just like your stove? Could also have a couple extra tanks for backup. I guess storage would be a slight issue, but no more, in my mind, than an extra battery.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:19   #23

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Electric motor on dinghy

I have an Avon 260 inflatable bottom dinghy. For years I used a 4HP Yamaha, then when the gas changed, spent lots of energy and money keeping it running. I decided to buy a Lehr 5HP propane powered outboard. It is so reliable I don't ever worry about it starting. I store the bottles in short pieces of 4" PVC pipe with a plug on one end and a screw out clean-out on the other. Lowes has the pipe precut and I store it outside on my sugar scoop so it cannot leak back into the boat. They fit in my dinghy across the rear just below the motor, so take up no room in the dinghy.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1474129149.087287.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	131268

You can see the two pipes on my starboard sugar scoop in the photo.

Each small can gives me about an hour at 4 knots. You can also use a larger tank like available at convenience stores and have a lot of fuel, or in my case, I have two small tanks in my propane locker and could use them in a pinch if I had to push the boat like has been described above. It comes with a hose that will attach to a standard tank, or you use the bottles, your choice.

The fuel is clean, engine starts on the first or second pull (you bleed the line with a paper clip after each can change), and no more gas hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:32   #24

Boat: Hunter, Passage 420, 42'

I have Torgeedo 1003 and Mercury 8HP for my AB 9UL. I had the Torgeedo for about 2 years before buying the Mercury and as we anchor out 98% I love the Torgeedo as a tender outboard. It will push the AB with the two of us (plus some gear) around 4 kts for two hours or maybe 6-8 trips back and forth to shore in a nice harbor 1'-2' waves or less. I've set it up to charge from the House Bank and it will do so easily overnight. I have 380 watts of solar which is plenty unless we get 3 or more days of overcast. It has been very reliable plus getting it on and off the dinghy is a breeze
I bought the Mercury for the times it might be rough but mainly if we want to do some "dinghy sight seeing". It has more speed (15 kts) and a lot more range. I do have to carry fuel for it and it is WAY more of a job getting on and off the dinghy. Hope that helps and good luck.

I wouldn't be here if I hadn't been there...
onewadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, electric, electric motor, motor