Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 07:13   #1

Bayfield 25 Cruising Questions

I am looking at getting a 1976 Bayfield 25 with Yanmar Diesel. I love the looks of this little boat, it's build quality and that shallow draft yet full keel! I've yet to sail in one though, but everything I read says it's for me. I have a few questions.

Has anyone put or seen dingy davits on one?
How long does it take for one man to take the mast down? I've read it's easy.
It has the 8hp Yanmar...any comments on that engine?

If anyone has a Bayfield 25, I'd love to hear more feedback on it...specifically related to long term cruising. I've googled the heck out of it and want more reading material.
Thanks!
mistersmith2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 07:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bayfield 25 Cruising Questions

Bayfield 25 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:08   #3

Boat: Moody 42

I at one time had a Bayfield 25. Great little boat. I wouldn't think taking the mast down to be a one man job, but guess it could be done. When you say cruising, not sure what you meant, but the Bayfield 25 is a bit too small to go long distances in comfort and does not have much in the way of tankage (both fuel and water). The little 8 ho Yanmar is a one banger and quite durable with parts still available and drives the boat well. Having said that condition of these old boats vary quite a bit, so buyer beware as you can get into repairs on this size boat that might exceed it's value.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:55   #4

I have a Bayfield 29 so I can't comment on the 25 but check out the Bayfield group at Yahoo :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bayfieldyachts/
JulianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 15:39   #5

I have a 1981 B-25 for sale in Jacksonville, FL. Love the boat and have sailed/motored the ICW from DC to JAX during November 2009, cold/rainy but with a single burner propane burner the boat warmed up nicely even with light ice on the deck at night. Brand new loose footed main and 135 Genoa including a Lazy bag not yet installed. Not sure I would put davits on her but I had her loaded below the boot stripe coming down the ICW and she did fine, albeit squated in the stern when under power by the rebuilt 8 HP Yanmar. Ready for a new prop/cutlass bearing/bottom paint/zincs. Comes with a RayMarine 1000 Autopilot, small invertor, hatch board-air conditioner (110vac only), nice Raritan head, new cushion foam. Still needs cockpit cushions and a Bimini and/or dodger. She would be fine for living aboard albeit I would prefer a mid-forty foot range. Great lake, river, or Bahamas boat and if you run aground just jump over the side in 3' of water and push her off.

Good luck!
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:33   #6

Mistersmith your email bounced and when I tried to reply via this forum it said I had to be a "Trusted User". No idea how to do that.
jt007 (@) bellsouth.net
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising