Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2021, 14:09   #16

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49
Re: Need USA Professionnal Skipper!!!! To help a Family!

At the present time, there is no way you can enter the US by boat. You have to have a professional captain deliver the boat FROM CANADA to the US. You, on the other hand, can only get into the US legally if you FLY. (caps for emphasis - not yelling - sorry).

Our friends just went through this exact scenario. They brought their boat from St. Catharines, Lake Ontario, down the St. Lawrence to St. Stephens in New Brunswick. They hired a captain in St. Stephens, who delivered the boat to Eastport, Maine, and the captain reported in to Customs and Border Protection to clear the boat in. It was accepted. Our friends then hired a plane to fly them from St. Stephens to Bangor, Maine (there is no customs/immigration at Eastport), where they cleared customs/ immigration with no problem at all. They then got a ride from Bangor to Eastport, where they picked up the boat. They are now happily underway.

As ridiculous as this sounds, it is the only way you can legally get yourselves into the US - by flying. You cannot be on the boat when it is cleared into the US. You MUST arrive by air, or you will not be let in.

There is some rumor that this may all change on September 21, but they've been saying that since June 21, so who knows. Good luck.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 14:24   #17

Boat: Union cutter 33

You cannot enter USA I知 waiting on a B 1 and B2 to enter us to go south from BC so far have been denied both been told to check again in a few weeks I知 also a Canadian
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 14:35   #18

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
READ THE ARTICLE! It's all back to normal as it says.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
I'm very sorry for posting the above, the article was very, very out of date and I can't fathom why it is still on the official CPB web site.

It does look like a US skipper is required to enter the boat & crew/owners fly in to be legal, but it would be prudent to contact the CPB at the port of entry & confirm all the above.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 17:38   #19

Boat: Cal-40

Here is how it works and I know this because I知 a US citizen with a USCG captain lic and I do vessel deliveries for a large French sailboat charter company. First the captain if working as a US citizen with an American lic cannot be in command of a Canadian flagged vessel, however the owners can hire a US Captain to help them. Your vessel needs to clear US customs along with passengers and this will require a cruising permit because the vessel is foreign flagged. You cannot hire a US skipper and get around this.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 18:22   #20

Boat: C&C

[Here is how it works and I know this because I知 a US citizen with a USCG captain lic and I do vessel deliveries for a large French sailboat charter company. First the captain if working as a US citizen with an American lic cannot be in command of a Canadian flagged vessel, however the owners can hire a US Captain to help them. Your vessel needs to clear US customs along with passengers and this will require a cruising permit because the vessel is foreign flagged. You cannot hire a US skipper and get around this.]

SORRY SIBERIAN SEA, maybe under normal previous times, but that's not how it's working right now, Nickodemus described the only way it's happening under present conditions.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:35   #21

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

I am quite sure you have the wrong information's. I know quite a few boat that have transited from Canada to the Caribbean's more precicely Guatemala without special permit or US Captain. It is a transient permit that is needed. My boat is in Guatemala right now, and if your dates were different I would offer My services, But I already have plans and date set.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee View Post
Hi,

Do not hesitate if you can help us with some clue or information on how to move from this dead end!

Best regards
Nicolas and Family

We are stuck in this position
We're in the process of re-captaining and have been quite impressed with the results from Indeed system. Check it out!
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee View Post
Hi,

Do not hesitate if you can help us with some clue or information on how to move from this dead end!

Best regards
Nicolas and Family

We are stuck in this position

We're in the process of re-captaining and have been quite impressed with the results from Indeed system. Check it out!

And don't fergit insurance issues, too!
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:47   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
[Here is how it works and I know this because I’m a US citizen with a USCG captain lic and I do vessel deliveries for a large French sailboat charter company. First the captain if working as a US citizen with an American lic cannot be in command of a Canadian flagged vessel, however the owners can hire a US Captain to help them. Your vessel needs to clear US customs along with passengers and this will require a cruising permit because the vessel is foreign flagged. You cannot hire a US skipper and get around this.]

SORRY SIBERIAN SEA, maybe under normal previous times, but that's not how it's working right now, Nickodemus described the only way it's happening under present conditions.
Quite simply not true. As a Transport Canada Licensed Master and Mate, Sharon and I have been doing cross border deliveries on both US documented and Canadian Registered Vessels (in both directions) under Commercial Transaction Numbers. Either country can provide these transaction permits and each country recognises the others documents.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:26   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The Salty Dawg Sailing Association has been helping to get Canadian boats int the fall rally to the Caribbean. You might check with them to see if they can assist the red tape. The rally leaves Hampton, Va November 01 so check soon.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:01   #26

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

Requirement for boat transiting from Canada through the US.

Boat licence number (or Registration)
Boat name
Boat length
For each person on board:
Name, date of birth
Passport, NEXUS, FAST card, EDL/EIC, or Secure Certificate of Indian Status
Dinghy licence and papers
(other documentation required i.e. pets)
Value of any declarable merchandise
U.S. marina at which you arrived or will arrive

Boaters may use the NEXUS and I-68, phoning 1-800-505-8381 or using OARS (Outlying Area Reporting Stations), all part of the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS). SVRS hotline: 1-800-432-1216 24 hours a day, every day.

Cruising in the U.S. for Many Months:
Canadian boats cruising in the U.S. for up to a year can get a Cruising Licence, which exempts formal entry and clearance procedures, but you must obtain clearance before departing for another port or country. Canadian boaters can get a Cruising Permit and a Decal and pay a fee when entering the U.S.A. In addition, there are restrictions about the length of time Canadians and Canadian boats may stay in the country. (Cruising South in the USA and ICW)

Hope this help.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:07   #27

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
I am quite sure the US Cruising permit depends on the flag of the vessel. If you could register the boat in a US state and get a USCG master for your vessel it might work. I'd have to research that.

Worst Case if you are intent to be in Central America - sail out the St Lawrence and visit PEI, Novia Scotia, Bermuda (depending on wind flows) then down to The Bahamas and the Caribbean where your Canadian flag will be welcomed. thence to Central America.

fair seas
R
good advice
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:30   #28

Boat: Outremer 51

Just saw your issue. We are a Canadian boat currently in the US. We got our cruising permit from the Norfolk boarder agency. You may want to phone a different boarder agency office and state that you are a boat in transit. Different offices interpr鑼e the rules differently.
Rimica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:50   #29

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

Hi
Florida Youth Maritime Training is a non-profit charity. I have a 1600 GRT Oceans license with auxiliary sail. We can do the delivery for free if you can allow us to bring one trainee. You can make a donation after the delivery if you would like.
Capt Bob Russo
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 13:29   #30

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 - Laureat 1

First, I would like to know if you are on Lake Champlain US side.
If it is the case you just have to sail down with no problem to the Bahamas

If not, you can always have your boat transport by commercial company to New York and then your family will have to go by plane.

As a canadian owner of a boat in US I have a cruising license in the name of the boat and the Owner of the boat only good for one year. So my license has ended in 2020 because of Covid 19, impossible for me to go to USA. So when i go back in order to have my boat in the water i will need to go to CBP office to get a new license.

A USA professionnal skipper will not work. He has to be the owner of the boat.

When you come back from the Bahamas entering USA make sure you stop to a CBP office to get a cruising license.

You will have to pay in the Bahamas $300. US to cruise in the Bahamas
Laureat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, skipper