Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 10:54   #16

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Re: www.sailboatlistings.com: any good ?

Sold my boat thru sailboatlistings.com as a FSBO..and also shopped there as well as the other sites noted...would construct a spreadsheet tracking boat, year, features, price, how long listed, etc to develop an understanding of what is a reasonable price...would recommend narrowing your search so it makes this determination easier. then go crawl on a number of them to see what you are getting for your $$...good luck, Dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 11:02   #17

Boat: L 34

Thanks WindwardPrinces, Can't get that to work. I get the same blank page telling me to start with google. If I try from my explorer page it does the same thing. Nothing will take me to a listing of boats or an "advanced search" as you get with Yachtworld.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 11:21   #18

Mileage can vary. I know sellers who listed on yachtworld, and they raised their price in order to cover the broker and yachtworld listing fee.

I've also noticed that prices often seem a little inflated in yachtworld. I get the impression that brokers game the prices a little (10% fee and 10% margin for negotiation? That's a 20% boost in price.).

The listings on the "Sailboatlistings" site are better if they're recent. Another useful site is "Sailing Texas", and they are good at listing dates and showing price adjustments if the seller makes an adjustment over time.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 11:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Sold my boat thru sailboatlistings.com as a FSBO..and also shopped there as well as the other sites noted...would construct a spreadsheet tracking boat, year, features, price, how long listed, etc to develop an understanding of what is a reasonable price...would recommend narrowing your search so it makes this determination easier. then go crawl on a number of them to see what you are getting for your $$...good luck, Dave
That's a good strategy. I did the same. The only drawback is that the prices are listing prices, not sold prices, but that's the available information and if you see how long boats are on the market, that's an indication. If a boat has been listed for a year, it's priced too high. I wish Yachtworld provided listing dates and price adjustments (as opposed to the sold.com that yachtworld provides to brokers only).
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 11:26   #20

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Just to add another site, Latitude 38 has classifieds for mostly the west coast of the U.S.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 11:37   #21
Marine Service Provider

What are you looking for? We have a few good deals on boats down here in Grenada right now!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 11:48   #22

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hmmm... the few boats I looked at on the site are FAR overpriced...
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 11:51   #23

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Thanks WindwardPrinces, Can't get that to work. I get the same blank page telling me to start with google. If I try from my explorer page it does the same thing. Nothing will take me to a listing of boats or an "advanced search" as you get with Yachtworld.
That's odd. Maybe it's geoblocked? if you go to sailboatlistings.com you should see lots and lots of pretty boats.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 10:50   #24

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33

Sailboatlistings,com provides a great venue to sell and buy direct. A major improvement would be to upgrade their software to drop listings after say one year. If a boat is unsold after a year the seller can revise and realist. The drill is to remove the clutter of obsolete listings. hopefully this suggestion is pursued

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jack Lahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 11:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
I watched Sailboatlistings.com for about a year. Then I started trying to make contact via email. I sent out 15 to 20 emails and only got a couple of responses. Many times the listing was removed after I sent out the email. I ended up not visiting any boats based on Sailboatlistings.com.

I ended up targeting two brokers that listed on YactWorld. The prices were not different than Sailboatlistings.com. Plus, I was able to board eight boats at each brokers site. I spent one day at one broker and another day at another broker. With Sailboatllistings.com, I would have had to set up a viewing with each boat individually. I would have been lucky to have two viewings in one day.

Brokers worked better for me. I liked working with them quite a bit. To me, they earned their fee.
Wow, it's funny but I had the opposite experience with YW and Sailboatlistings. YW brokers were either evasive and could not provide any info ouside of the listing text or were too busy to answer emails or phonecalls. At first I thought it was the function of my low price range but then a friend who was away on a delivery asked me to go and chek out a Leopard 38 listed locally for 200K. After numerous attempts I could not get the broker to meet me at the dock and my friend gave up, ending up dealing with someone else and looking at another cat.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 17:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Hey guys, how do I get into the Sailboatlistings site.? My computer tells me to first search google. WTF.!? do I type in the search box?
I think it is US only for IP addresses...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 18:59   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Found our Spencer on sailboatlistings.com in October was with a broker got it for less than market to here's the SB listings Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale main page
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 18:30   #28

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
I think it is US only for IP addresses...
Canada works

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-01-2015, 13:06   #29

Boat: TBD

Interesting to me too is that, being a Realtor I sometimes see MLS ads with bad photos or few photos trying to sell a house. I see the same thing on some of the ads placed here, granted they are FSBOs, but if I was trying to sell a boat for > $100K I think I might put more than one photo.

IMHO... of course.
Old 31-01-2015, 19:51   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On Yachtworld, the ad for a boat is removed once the boat is sold. I have seen this happen to a few boats I was watching.

I don't think that happens on Sailboatlistings.

Can anyone who used it to sell or buy a boat there confirm?

Does the ad on sailboatlistings remain for years even if the boat has sold?
If the ad is showing on sailboatlistings, does that mean the boat is still for sale?

Also, it appears that boats on sailboatlistings get relisted periodically, as I see a few boats that were listed in summer 2014 that now show "added January 31, 2015."

I did not track the asking price from the summer, but it appears to be about the same. So I am wondering if the listings "refresh" automatically after some months or period.

Anyone know how that works on that site?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat