Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2021, 07:37   #16

Re: When the auto pilot fails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstations View Post
Unbelievable. I've asked a pretty specific question in the hope that there might be some solid suggestions. I don't have to explain why I'm seeking such suggestions. I'll just be glad when I slip my lines, head over the horizon and get away from tripe like you've just dished up. It's a sailing forum for god's sake, not an analysts couch.
Welcome to online forums.

You've presented a problem and then asked about a single, specific approach to solving the problem. People are going to give you all of the possible options for solving the situation. Any one may or may not work based on the situation. Life rarely presents a problem with only one solution.

Imagine if your question was "I need to build a square wheel"? The answer can be provided, but there are certainly better options.

Consider that maybe there is another solution you hadn't considered. The responses aren't just for you. It's for anyone reading the thread now and years to come. Most others would prefer to be exposed to a broader set of options or considerations.

Consider taking it all in, sifting through it, taking from it what helps you and graciously accepting that people took the time to discuss your topic.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:49   #17

Boat: Hunter 46

Wind vane.

https://www.bestboatreport.com/how-d...ind-vane-work/
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:52   #18

There is little choice but to lash the tiller to keep the boat in the direction you want.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:06   #19

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

We have a full second system ready to go. Mainly the ram, compass sensor, autopilot head and computer. I have purchased used and rebuilt the systems in the comfort of my home ready for the disastrous event at sea.

It seems that every story I have read involves loss of autopilot at sea. Therefore, I want enough parts to replace if needed. Amazingly, when you have the extra parts, you don't need them. Like having an extra starter, alternator, and fuel filters.

My opinion, it is easier to replace parts of a working-non-working system than trying to reinvent the wheel with a second non related system.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:18   #20

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

In reasonable conditions most boats will balance on upwind points of sail as long as you accept intermittent luffing and minute to minute course variations. Downwind forget it.

If it were me singlehanding, I would heave to and get some real rest every so often, then steer by hand until tired again. So for the OP, it would be good to practice this.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:39   #21

Boat: Lagoon 400

Windvane autopilot?
Old 10-09-2021, 09:48   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

If my autopilot failed I would use my Hydrovane. And vice-versa.

Redundant systems.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:02   #23

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstations View Post
Unbelievable. I've asked a pretty specific question in the hope that there might be some solid suggestions. I don't have to explain why I'm seeking such suggestions. I'll just be glad when I slip my lines, head over the horizon and get away from tripe like you've just dished up. It's a sailing forum for god's sake, not an analysts couch.
Hmm sounds like you need some time alone on a boat. People are just trying to help.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:24   #24

Speaking of windvane, is there any make that offers a non obstructive system that doesn't require some modification or drilling, preferably removable?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:59   #25

Jury rigged meaning not monitor wind vane or suchlike?
celle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:10   #26

Boat: Sabre 34II

Sheet to tiller can be done on a wheel steered boat by tying the line to the opposite side of the wheel, several videos on sheet to tiller on YT.

But as others said, repairing the existing system and redundancy will be better.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:32   #27

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I currently have 15 complete autopilot electronics onboard and ordered parts to build 30 more yesterday. For me, I will just carry backup for backup for backup, then sell the pilots to people who need more backups.

That aside, before I had autopilots, I did experience a windvane failure when I was in difficult conditions (25-30 knots running downwind) on west coast of south africa. Despite what people may claim, I was able to use the bungee cord to continue.

What I had to end up doing is using a smaller headsail because the size I would be using would overpower the bungee. At 25knots and above I had to use the storm jib as a steering sail. When it picked up to 30 knots I found, that without any bungee, and just using the storm jib sheeted as tight as possible and no main: locking the tiller I was able to run almost dead downwind going 4.5 knots. The storm jib would occasionally backwind but this worked to correct the course. Normally I could have gone 6 knots or better with the main on just the 3rd reef and no headsail in these conditions but would need active steering.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:45   #28

Boat: Feeling 44 DI

I have a 44ft cutter,10 tonnes. My friend has the same boat and crossed the Atlantic last year with a Raymarine ST 2000 Tiller Pilot as back up. It's only designed for 4.5 tonne but it's cheap, dead easy to install and adapt to the wheel instead of tiller operation and unless you're under full sail in F7, works perfectly. My friend used it a lot, just as a trial, and is full of praise. I'm in Gibraltar now installing the same unit, out into the Atlantic very soon.
Markb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:13   #29

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

our autopilot failed when we were island hoping in the Caribbean. For winds forward of abeam, provided they are strong enough to heel the boat as the trades generally are, we just locked the wheel in place with a little windward helm and the boat settles in to its groove. Actually, we used this technique even when the autopilot worked, because it is silent and better, follows wind shifts.
Unfortunately, in light air and downwind we just hand steered. We tried some sheet to tiller systems but never got them to work... so we hand steered for many hours at times over night. 2 of us on board so we did shifts. Before heading back to the states (downwind mostly) we installed a new Raymarine wheel pilot in St. Martin.

Spare parts or a redundant system is the key if you are believe you're crew is unable to steer 24hrs a day on a passage.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:20   #30

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The OP asked a question about a specific type of solution to a problem that does indeed occur often (autopilot failure). He was unhappy that he received other types of solutions to that problem, and was in fact a bit rude about it - not good netiquette. When people are trying to be helpful, try to smile and gracefully accept the offerings, and ignore those that don't apply. With a total of just 3 postings prior to this thread this is all about first impressions.

Postings with other solutions are trying to make the point that sheet-to-wheel solutions may not be the best approach - they are a last resort. It is a good idea to study them but planning on them as the only backup would be a mistake. For ocean crossing there really is no substitute for wind vane steering for reliability. Autopilots are great for coastal work but they do break, and too often. Having spares for an autopilot that can be swapped in quickly is important if it is being relied upon. Even more important is to rig a robust below-decks autopilot in the first place: they are far more reliable than any cockpit AP.

Welcome to CF.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote