Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2022, 12:50   #1

Boat: Cal 33 - 2
Pod or no pod

I’m installing a B&G Vulcan display in the cockpit (sailboat) and wonder if it really needs to be in a pod e.g. Navpod or similar. The display is rated IXP6 & 7 so is reasonably watertight and I have seen a few just mounted on the pedestal guard without protection. Anyone have experience with this?
FoxyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 15:12   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Pod or no pod

Just my thoughts.
1. Putting them in a pod makes them harder to steal.
2. Covering the plugs/wires means that they're protected from snagging lines, clothing, hands. You don’t want to snap them off accidentally.
3. Even if they tell you that the MFD is IP6 or 7, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the back side is as well protected as the front side. Or that the plugs are as waterproof as the case.

Personally, I bit the bullet and put them in a pod.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 06:14   #3

Thanks Bycrick. Your points are well taken. My cockpit is a bit cramped so wanted to avoid a slanted pedestal guard if possible.
Old 24-03-2022, 06:49   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Personally I use and prefer pods but they are completely unnecessary. The units are water resistant to whatever IP standard they choose to comply with….the entire unit, including the connections. This is the reason they come with mounting brackets. A handful of my buddies have chosen to mount their MFD’s to teak plates rather than use pods. Your boat your decision, whether based on aesthetics or your wallet.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 07:09   #5

Good input Jim. At our dock in Westbrook, CT we are surrounded by pods, but they are almost all 35 ft and above boats. Our Cal33 has a lot less cockpit space, hence my dilemma.
Old 24-03-2022, 07:11   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

No pod. Simply remove it when not using the boat (protect cabling connectors) and make a cover to keep over it whenever not in use. Attach the cover with a small lanyard so it doesn’t blow away and you can keep it on when the autopilot is doing it’s job

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 08:49   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We put our cockpit MFD in a pod because we didn't mount it at the helm; it is instead mounted off to one side side of the centerline companionway hatch- under the dodger.

We chose this position so it can be viewed by anyone sitting in the cockpit.

We put it in a pod so it could be tilted and swiveled to suit a lone watch crew. It also affords protection from the sun [and Wx if the dodger were compromised], and helps keep the honest thief honest.

And thinking of security, if you can't conveniently stow the outside MFD, don't forget to remove any chart SD cards from it when away from the vessel. (We typically keep chart SD cards in the inside MFD so this is not usually an issue for us.)

To avoid having to leave the helm to control the MFD, we installed a remote at the helm [along with an autopilot remote.]

This set up works well for us, but we realize it does not suit everyone's needs nor every boat's layout.

FWIW

Cheers! Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit MFD.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	254845  
Old 24-03-2022, 09:44   #8

Boat: Norseman 447

Details. Not all devices have a single spec for water-resistance. You need to verify that they are as water-resistant from the back as from the front. A good example was my old Raymarine RL70, where the old Seatalk connectors were notably less resistant than the front of the unit or some of the other connectors. The new Simrad display is either or both IPX6/7. Some "waterproof" connectors have a surprisingly small number of useful plug/unplug cycles as a specification. Trust the specs but verify that they mean what you think they mean.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 10:17   #9

Boat: Catalina 34

I'd go with a swivel mount. I don't spend much time behind the wheel, only when motoring without autopilot. With crew, the people steering and working the chart plotter aren't always the same. My install allows it to be seen from anywhere in the cockpit.

For how I use the boat, I don't think I'll ever go back to a fixed chart plotter at the helm. Regarding theft, It's covered by the binnacle cover and my Garmin is easy to remove if I get worried.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swivel instruments.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	254849  
Donnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 10:29   #10

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I know I will catch ever loving Hell for this but:

With the almost universal use of helm mounted chart plotters and that big, fancy, expensive compass occupying prime real estate, anybody ever consider a smaller (maybe bulkhead compass) and installing a swivel base pod where that compass sits. Easy cable runs ect. Blasphemy I am sure but:

While most of the new stuff is waterproof I am not a big fan of all the plugging and unplugging that frequent removal would require.

Donning my flack jacket, Frankly

My big expensive custon Island Packet compass wonders all over as I move my command mic around including where it is clipped when not in use.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 15:40   #11

Boat: 33' Nonsuch

Mine’s in a pod, and I’m 33 feet…
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 16:41   #12

Boat: KP 46

It depends on the type of sailing you do. If you are an Intracoastal cruiser or near the shore most of the time, a pod is good because you are behind the wheel most of the time.

If you are an offshore sailor and mostly passage making, either side of the companionway makes sense as you can see what is happening without having to get up and move behind the helm just to read the instruments.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 06:24   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

Our chartplotter is in brackets at the helm, snd we remove it when not in use. We have two MFDs (Garmin gmi-20) in Edson pods that came with the boat. We also have a small chartplotter at the nav station that all transducers connect to, so fewer cables to (dis)connect to the one at the helm. (Power/NMEA/Ethernet) Data is shared via NMEA2000. We ran a single data cable up the pedestal to a 4-port multiport under the compass with a terminator on the end, then 3 short cables to each device. We replaced the straight pedestal guard with an angled one so the chartplotter would not be directly over the compass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1742.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	254895  
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 20:59   #14

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

On my Pearson 30 I have it on a RAM mount that can swing out or be seen through the top board window. When it is not being used it is safe inside the boat. On nice days it's outboard to the starboard of the companionway, and only protrudes a few inches into the companionway.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 03:38   #15

Thanks to all who responded. I’m going to try a pod I was able to find at Mystic Marine Consignment (new and in the box but inexpensive). The inability to swivel it or adjust the angle are the biggest drawbacks but we’ll see.