Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2023, 16:54   #1

Mooring Situation in Maine in 2023

Howdy, all!

I am planning a long trip to New England in 2023. Will be casting off from MD in June. After taking my time getting there, I'll need to find a place to base out of while I explore the area. I'll be looking for a coastal fixer upper, and hoping to establish myself there, but that's not why I'm here.

I've not sailed in Maine, but have heard and read a lot. I am wondering what the kind fellow sailors might suggest I could be doing to find a place to keep my boat there once I arrive. I've seen some suggest that Maine gets crowded, and I may find myself unable to find a mooring ball or slip if I wait too long.

47' sloop, 6ft draft. What are my best options other than anchoring. Would it make sense to try and arrange an annual arrangement for a mooring ball? Where are we between 'you can just show up and find monthly mooring ball rentals most places' and 'you're probably too late and when you get here you'll be lucky to find a protected anchorage with shore access'?
antanasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 17:22   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Mooring Situation in Maine in 2023

It depends. All the popular tourist spots fill up fast. The less popular spots which still have good shore access and provisioning fill up on busy weekends. The "destination" anchorages well away from shore services are full of private moorings you're not technically allowed to use, but a night or two in transit is usually OK, as long as you move if the owner arrives. There's also the economy. If things are looking up, you'll have more competition.

I generally "wing it" on weekdays, but look for a weekend destination in advance, either at a proper marina, a rented mooring, or a remote anchorage.

If you're planning to establish a "home base," again, it depends. The last few years most marinas fill their seasonal slips and moorings early in the year (maybe around now for average places) and it's probably already too late for the more popular ones.

Finally, it depends on where you want to go. Farther down east will be less crowded, with some notable exceptions like Mt. Desert Island. Once past the Schoodic peninsula you're mostly among locals, with fewer transients.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 19:12   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Look at Rockland. A few places rent moorings like Journeys end, the Rockland moorings marina, Rockland harbor masters office and others. Rockland is easy to get to and from, has good provisions and is centrally located.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 14:18   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Looking for a "coastal fixer-upper"? Is that a house or a boat you're looking for? If it's a house, you might want to check on Zillow to find see places in your price range, and then look for a mooring near wherever it is. When we went looking (pre-pandemic) the prices south of Camden were almost the same as in CT. We decided to get a nicer boat instead. Coastal property prices have not come down since then.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 14:45   #5

Thanks everyone for insight and confirming what I had suspected. I'll start calling places in around Rockland now to see about arranging a seasonal slip or ball. Seems like the best bet given the parameters.

As for the fixer upper, I don't know yet. I have until fall to decide what I want and have to get there alive first
antanasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 14:56   #6

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

All good advice here. Portland, Bath, Damariscotta, Bah Habbah etc. are all near impossible to find a mooring or slip in season. Plenty of places to anchor out. Don't forget your Eldridge Tide and Pilot book and mind the tide. Invaluable anywhere North of NYC.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 17:35   #7

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Another place you might consider is Falmouth Foreside, which is on the North side of Portland. Handy Boat Services has a very large mooring field there, and I think an annual mooring would be available, especially if you are arranging things now

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 09:00   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'm curious where you ended up with a mooring? I'm looking to do the same thing in 2024. I used to live in Maine so have cruised the coast pretty extensively, but currently keep our boat off of Narragansett Bay. Thinking of basing out of Maine for summer 2024.
Old 27-09-2023, 11:08   #9

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
Another place you might consider is Falmouth Foreside, which is on the North side of Portland. Handy Boat Services has a very large mooring field there, and I think an annual mooring would be available, especially if you are arranging things now

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Great location but they have a 150+ person waiting list as of last week.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine, mooring