Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 12:16   #16

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Sperry Topsiders work great.

The soles look smooth until you flex them. Then fine zig-zag or fish scale looking cuts open up on them. They stick like glue for me.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:24   #17

Boat: jeanneau Gin Fizz-38'
I always start with the boat shoes, kick em off sometimes, but keep em handy if the **** hits the fan. I came across the best boat shoes Ive had at west marine this summer, and I have had a lot ,they are the mens performance slip ons, usually 49$, I need to get another pair just for the boat as I wear these all the time . ..Red
redhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:25   #18

Boat: Bristol 34
We wear Crocs. They are dog-arse ugly and a major affront to the fashion conscience but perfect for boats and well suited for those of us who do not like closed shoes yet insist they be worn aboard. Just don't trust their grip when the soles wear down.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:33   #19

Boat: Endeavour 37
I used to require shoes for all crew members while underway. However, after my first mate broke three or four toes with one slip coming up the companionway while on the hook, it's "shoes on, if your out of your berth." Keen make a great scandal that are skid and slip resistent, fully waterproof (nylons dry a lot quicker than the leather) and have fully rubberized toe covers.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:35   #20

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
I always wear boat shoes or sandals underway. Better traction and injury avoidance. Seagoing flipflops with cut soles and enough real estate in the toe to prevent stubbing is my preferred hot weather shoe. On the hook or mooring, I'm as likely to go barefoot since I'm usually moving at a leisurely pace (if at all).
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:38   #21

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88
We wear Crocs. They are dog-arse ugly and a major affront to the fashion conscience but perfect for boats and well suited for those of us who do not like closed shoes yet insist they be worn aboard. Just don't trust their grip when the soles wear down.
Amen to that! We wear crocs when the weather's fair - although the holes get plugged when the weather turns colder!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:42   #22

Boat: Alura 30
I never wear shoes and ask my guest not to wear shoes either.I have noticed that french sailors don't wear shoes when most americans do!In fact I don't wear much of anything. When weather permit it......
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:44   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i wear bare feet unless is really cold-then uggs-or lightning--then crocs, as they attract nothing. broken toes ar enothing-- they heal and fairly quickly--i have had many--only 2 on board boat. i still wont wear shoes on deck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:52   #24

With Crocs make sure you use the back strap when new. The shoes grab great. The feet inside not so well. Not pretty. Don't ask how I know. When they get worn a bit I've almost broke my tail more than once stepping on a paint stripe in a parking lot after it has rained. I love how comfortable they are but I have injured or almost injured myself more wearing Crocs than I have going barefoot or wearing other types of shoes combined. I grew up in S. Fl. and was barefoot all the time except when at school and still don't unless I have to. My wife is from Ma. and always wears shoes(she puts them on at night to go to the head) even in the house. I guess a lot has to do with where you grew up.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:56   #25

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
I wear shoes on deck my partner does not. Either boat runners or top siders for me, or a pair of sandals with appropriate toe covering. I dont need to slip while doing stuff. My husband seems a sure footed as a mountain goat and seems to grip things just fine with his feet. Although I did have a little chuckle this spring coming home from a trip south, he left the cockpit only to discover the deck so hot from the sun, that he needed shoes.
Do what works for you I suppose.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:59   #26

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
I have sailed barefoot on occasion, but over 15 years, my wife has broken one toe, and I have broken numerous toes. Our current practice is to wear at least boat sole sandals when out of the cockpit, even in the tropics, where that might be all!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	249.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	23514  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:00   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
thought all the toes were spozed to be wiggly looking... yours are too straight.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:01   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Shoes, what are shoes? I wear them to the Yacht Club - but only because the Commodore requested that I wear them.

Seriously, I live in deck shoes as work shoes during the week (topsiders or Land's End boat mocs). As great as they are for traction, my bare feet are SO much better. Maybe because I grew up that way - I use my feet/toes much like hands. I think nothing of grabbing a lazy sheet with my toes.

I only wear shoes when it's too cold not to.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:39   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

I wear shoes

For those who go barefoot, would be useful to also mention how many toes you have (left ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:47   #30

Never wear shoes. If it gets cold and wet the foulies and boots go on. Everything on the deck that could hurt my feet has been removed or rendered harmless.

I have all my toes. Never broken any.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing