Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2010, 21:05   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
gonna miss him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
LOL Boatman.......Your already dead...you just haven't gotten the memo yet..
...he was such a gentle soul.
Old 31-05-2010, 21:08   #47
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Alzheimer comes from the aluminum water tanks. Believe me

Oh LOOK!

Broadband radar vs. Pulsed Radar: Which is safer? - Power & Motoryacht - Hazardous to Your Health?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 21:29   #48

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
I am a retired MD who delt with cancer patients for too many years- The thing I like about boating is I can leave all that at the dock-If you look hard enough you can find possible causes of cancer around every cornner along with a vast # of other causes of death. Boats have to be very low on the danger list. If you want to think about it You would do better to worry about volcanos ,floods ,hurricains ,smoking,eating, drinking,medications and the sun. Concentrate on your sail trim-breath the salt air and forget the cancer in the bilge
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 22:18   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I believe that crabs do cause cancer:

Cancer the Crab

But what a hell of a way to go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crabby DSC_0074.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	16615  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:43   #50

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Seriously however, if you are using GRP RESIN then the traditional gloves are useless. The harmful stuff goes through them. Make sure the gloves you use are GRP Resin proof as stated on the box. Many other resin products are the same but really, unless you are doing a re-build, or in the trade, these things are not a significant risk.
Some marina's are simply not as healthy as others depending on industry and sewage outfalls but once at sea there's a lot less germs, drive by shootings, muggings and car crashes going on.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:19   #51
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Currently the startling facts are 1 of every 3 people will get some form of cancer before they expire. My soulmate is one of those 3. She was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Since her diagnosis I've done hundreds if not thousands of hours researching causes and cures. We live in a toxic society with a toxic food supply. Again processed fats, preservatives and pesticides in our food supply are killing us. In 1850 people consumed 6x the amount of omega 3 fatty acids as we do today. Today 80% of the population is seriously malnourished and lacking these critical essential fatty acids. Since Kims diagnosis we've been following a nutrition therapy designed by Johanna Budwig incorporating emulsifying flax oil(natures highest concentration of lineolic acid or omega 3s at 58%) and sulpherous proteins to form a water soluble fat. After a week, the pain in kims rib that was a tumor eating through the rib cage stopped. The lump there is gone. On her second brain mri it showed one of four tumors gone and the other 3 reduced in size. The doctors were stunned. Google Johanna Budwig. It could save your life. Were looking forward to next full body scan to hopefully see great progress there.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:39   #52

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
Did I see this on Penn & Teller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschristian38 View Post
The biggest danger is the dihydrogen monoxide - deadly and all around most boats. Very dangerous!
That wouldn't be H2O would?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:08   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
... Life causes death...
Life IS probably a fatal disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschristian38 View Post
The biggest danger is the dihydrogen monoxide - deadly and all around most boats. Very dangerous!
Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

Get the FAQs ➥ Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:54   #54

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Currently the startling facts are 1 of every 3 people will get some form of cancer before they expire. My soulmate is one of those 3. She was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Since her diagnosis I've done hundreds if not thousands of hours researching causes and cures. We live in a toxic society with a toxic food supply. Again processed fats, preservatives and pesticides in our food supply are killing us. In 1850 people consumed 6x the amount of omega 3 fatty acids as we do today. Today 80% of the population is seriously malnourished and lacking these critical essential fatty acids. Since Kims diagnosis we've been following a nutrition therapy designed by Johanna Budwig incorporating emulsifying flax oil(natures highest concentration of lineolic acid or omega 3s at 58%) and sulpherous proteins to form a water soluble fat. After a week, the pain in kims rib that was a tumor eating through the rib cage stopped. The lump there is gone. On her second brain mri it showed one of four tumors gone and the other 3 reduced in size. The doctors were stunned. Google Johanna Budwig. It could save your life. Were looking forward to next full body scan to hopefully see great progress there.
Thats the best news i've had this weekend--and I don't even know you
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38   #55
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
eyschulman: Thank you doc for your great advice...now get out there and go sailin'...you're where I want to be!

forsailbyowner: great great post. I tried eating flax based products but my digestion can't handle it. Do take my Omega fish oils.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13   #56

Let's get this in perspective. The most common and most deadly carcinogen you will come across in daily life is oxygen. That's right - oxygen. If you stop breathing oxygen then you will not get free oxygen radicals bumping up against your DNA and mutating them in to cancerous versions. Of course, the cure (no oxygen) might turn out to be worse than the disease.

Next - the humans alive today are, on average, the healthiest, best fed and longest lived humans in the history of the planet. That's the average human of today. The average westerner is even further ahead because 1 billion out of the 6 billion of us is undernourished or living in slums or killed early in conflicts.

If the average boater/sailor is ahead of the general western population in terms of health then the average boater is way, way ahead of just about every human who has ever lived.

What was the question again?
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:24   #57

Well said Mintyspilot. I've always avoided packaged food, not desperately, just a choice, and chicken. And vegetables (they stunt your growth - I'm 6'3"). OK, I do have high BP and I shouldn't have eaten/drunk so much sugar but I have no real problems, like the half? of us that do reach retirement age.
I should have died a few times. Driving, congenital kidney problems (the first operation in the UK to cure it). Sailing takes a year off my age every time I go out. Excercise, fresh air, massage of the knees, hips and back, the mental freedom of almost no regulations.
Unfortunately my wife has just had her 2nd chemo today. She's doing well and should be OK, it's precautionary, not the last cure, it doesn't seem fair when you talk to some of the people in the wards.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:58   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Unfortunately my wife has just had her 2nd chemo today. She's doing well and should be OK, it's precautionary, not the last cure, it doesn't seem fair when you talk to some of the people in the wards.
Life, alas, is rarely fair, but on the bright side I am glad that your wife is doing well. I understand that chemo is particularly nasty stuff (some of my mother's friends have had it). I hope she has a speedy recovery.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:39   #59

Perhaps I should have mentioned that she hasn't visited or travelled the boat much.
But has had to bring up three kids and a hubby on his low income and her extra jobs.
Diet in those circumstances are not as good as they should be. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-06-2010, 18:00   #60

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Well said Mintyspilot. I've always avoided packaged food, not desperately, just a choice, and chicken. And vegetables (they stunt your growth - I'm 6'3"). OK, I do have high BP and I shouldn't have eaten/drunk so much sugar but I have no real problems, like the half? of us that do reach retirement age.
I should have died a few times. Driving, congenital kidney problems (the first operation in the UK to cure it). Sailing takes a year off my age every time I go out. Excercise, fresh air, massage of the knees, hips and back, the mental freedom of almost no regulations.
Seems all she needs is emulsified flax oil and sulpherous protiens.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote