Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2019, 16:21   #31

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Coast Guard Intervention information needed for a novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I'm sorry, I missed what service you were in and what you did again?

Retired Coast Guard helicopter pilot here. It's clear that you did not serve in the Coast Guard and know next to nothing about the service and clearly nothing about the service's culture. That's not a personal attack, unlike your unsupported accusation that I and all those I served with fabricate information provided to the public as part of our daily job, which most certainly is a personal attack. It's simply the truth. It baffles me what you hope to accomplish by coming here and launching such attacks apparently in service of some personal political agenda? You certainly haven't won a single heart or mind and never will with that approach.

It is interesting that you bring up the Morning Dew mishap. Interesting both because the best example you could find was something that happened so long ago that it's a case study I had to go through when first qualifying as a pilot (I'm retired!). And because it is indeed a case study that everyone in the search and rescue part of the Coast Guard is required to study when first starting our careers and refers to often throughout their career as a case of what we want to make sure we DON'T ever do again. That's the part about service culture that you could never know, getting your information second or third hand, and why it's so frustrating to have you defaming a whole organization when you clearly know nothing about it. Every organization makes mistakes and there's 3 sides to every story, reading about 2 such mistakes or possible mistakes and coming to your set of conclusion is simply unwarranted. And what homosexuals or women in the Coast Guard have to do with anything other then some serious personal issues on your part I have no idea! Again, you're personally attacking my shipmates who served honorably and with great courage...you have absolutely zero right to do that.

You've clearly got a massive chip on your shoulder with a pretty big dose of tin hat conspiracy theorist backed up by what appears to be nothing in the way of firsthand knowledge. Please, think about what you accomplish by airing that on a forum for cruising? And please, don't ever again insult me and those who served with my by stating that YOU are the one with courage for spraying your crap on an online message board. You have no idea.
Nice post.

I am pretty sure the person who made those accusations won’t have either the courage or the integrity to apologize.
Old 26-08-2019, 16:21   #32

Quote:
I'm sorry, I missed what service you were in and what you did again?

Retired Coast Guard helicopter pilot here. It's clear that you did not serve in the Coast Guard and know next to nothing about the service and clearly nothing about the service's culture. That's not a personal attack, unlike your unsupported accusation that I and all those I served with fabricate information provided to the public as part of our daily job, which most certainly is a personal attack. It's simply the truth. It baffles me what you hope to accomplish by coming here and launching such attacks apparently in service of some personal political agenda? You certainly haven't won a single heart or mind and never will with that approach.

It is interesting that you bring up the Morning Dew mishap. Interesting both because the best example you could find was something that happened so long ago that it's a case study I had to go through when first qualifying as a pilot (I'm retired!). And because it is indeed a case study that everyone in the search and rescue part of the Coast Guard is required to study when first starting our careers and refers to often throughout their career as a case of what we want to make sure we DON'T ever do again. That's the part about service culture that you could never know, getting your information second or third hand, and why it's so frustrating to have you defaming a whole organization when you clearly know nothing about it. Every organization makes mistakes and there's 3 sides to every story, reading about 2 such mistakes or possible mistakes and coming to your set of conclusion is simply unwarranted. And what homosexuals or women in the Coast Guard have to do with anything other then some serious personal issues on your part I have no idea! Again, you're personally attacking my shipmates who served honorably and with great courage...you have absolutely zero right to do that.

You've clearly got a massive chip on your shoulder with a pretty big dose of tin hat conspiracy theorist backed up by what appears to be nothing in the way of firsthand knowledge. Please, think about what you accomplish by airing that on a forum for cruising? And please, don't ever again insult me and those who served with my by stating that YOU are the one with courage for spraying your crap on an online message board. You have no idea.

Well said, sir! Thank you for your service and enjoy your retirement.
Old 26-08-2019, 16:45   #33

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Mosby View Post
This belief, apparently rampant in the "entertainment" industry, is exactly why I stopped watching film and T.V..

Without realistic characters performing realistic actions, suspension of disbelief is impossible, and the story becomes irritating.
Nailed it Dan. I often wonder when watching a movie why the writer/director didn’t go the extra mile to bring realism to a project. It wouldn’t cost anything more.
Old 26-08-2019, 16:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Well said. These folks have a difficult, dangerous and valuable job to do which no one should diminish with such uninformed nonsense.
Yes because women are just as strong, quick and fast as men.
Old 26-08-2019, 17:09   #35

Quote:
Nice post.

I am pretty sure the person who made those accusations won’t have either the courage or the integrity to apologize.
Well you nailed that one, looks like he created a new user account, "interested" created today with a single post to carry on in the same sexist vein he was going on about before. Courage indeed, I've had the pleasure of working with literally hundreds of women in the Coast Guard who displayed far more courage on a daily basis!
Old 26-08-2019, 17:16   #36

Quote:
Well you nailed that one, looks like he created a new user account, "interested" created today with a single post to carry on in the same sexist vein he was going on about before. Courage indeed, I've had the pleasure of working with literally hundreds of women in the Coast Guard who displayed far more courage on a daily basis!
A few days ago actually. Straw man argument much? Seems to me if you take my post above as anything other than sincere, you are the sexist.
Old 26-08-2019, 17:26   #37

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Mosby View Post
See: homosexuals in service, females in service, training standards, poor equipment forced into service, any other number of issues senior leaders want to hide from the public.
There is quite a bit wrong with our military but not the things you have spoken of. I deleted most of your post because it was so ridiculous

I don't see the homosexuals but the females in the military are some of the best and most dedicated and many of them are the best at their jobs.

The training standards are some of the best in the world of all countries with a military

And if you knew anything about MIL SPEC equipment you would know that most of it is some of the best in the world. Very well built and can withstand lots of abuse unlike much of the COTS normal folks can buy.

Try not to let a few bad apples sway your opinion because it appears you have no first hand knowledge
Old 26-08-2019, 17:33   #38

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested View Post
Some are yes, and those that are not make up for it with a patient and cool head and internal long lasting strength

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...antry-platoon/

Old 26-08-2019, 18:03   #39

Quote:
That post screams of a major self-esteem issue. Hiding behind an anonymous new screen name is the act of a troll.
Old 26-08-2019, 21:13   #40

Quote:
That post screams of a major self-esteem issue. Hiding behind an anonymous new screen name is the act of a troll.
Friend of mine is planning to buy a Lagoon 380 and spend much of each year on the boat. Idea intrigued me so I've been reading for a month or two. Saw something silly and pretentious so I signed up and posted. Saw something funny, disingenuous and pretentious in this thread and so I posted.

Bottom line is, it's true. Women are not, on average, as strong as men. Some jobs they can do well. Some jobs in the military they can do better, such as interrogating Muslim women. Problem is, our PC culture has affected the military and we are forced to play make believe and pay homage to the notion that female warriors are exactly the same as male warriors. Objectively just not true. I have no problem with women in any branch of the service. I have a problem with having to play make believe that there is no difference. Having said that, are we really ready as a nation, to watch a female aviator or other POW get raped on the internet by the same guys who behead men on the internet? Denying female opportunity is the cost of making sure that doesn't happen. If a woman can fly a helicopter better than the next best pilot, male or female, seems wrong to deny them the opportunity. Just be ready for the eventual cost and don't let it take away our will to win any more than if it were a male. To do otherwise would be sexist, would it not?

Now, perhaps the Coast Guard doesn't put women at such risk, but I want the most effective rescuer out there doing the job they do. No place for affirmative action in life saving. Maybe a woman is the best boat handler they have. Great! Give her the wheel. Just don't play make believe when it comes to what a specific female can and can't do.
Old 26-08-2019, 21:22   #41

And yeah, the Coast Guard will lie on occasion to cover it's ass. How do we know this? Because the CG is made up of people and some people will lie. On average I'm perfectly happy to stipulate they are likely much more honorable and truthful than our population average but they are still human. Again, it's neither honest, wise nor useful to play make believe.
Old 26-08-2019, 22:08   #42

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

I would write the following ...

The boat reporting the hostage situation uses channel 16. The coast guard is slow to respond and the local police picks up on the call first, however when they arrive, they find that a third boat allerted by the radio call has taken matters into his own hand.
You can say he shot the intruder from afar with a 6.5 creedmoor chambered rifle ... or 222 swift, or .243 up to you .... or that he scuba dived to the boat and pulled the intruder into the water ... cut the anchor rope and scared him off ... You can of course choose to make the coast guard look good and the local police goofing off and showing off late thinking it was a hoax ...

i would make the third boat a phantom character that disappears from the scene, only to reappear several chapters later in an unrelated case ... sort of the equalizer ...

Oh, just occurred to me ... make the phantom equalizer a women, a sort of lonely disappointed military drop off that lives in the swamp
She has a few rifles, one is a Swiss Smidt Rubin 7.5 K31, and she has to reload because can not find ammo for it
Old 27-08-2019, 05:06   #43

Quote:
Friend of mine is planning to buy a Lagoon 380 and spend much of each year on the boat. Idea intrigued me so I've been reading for a month or two. Saw something silly and pretentious so I signed up and posted. Saw something funny, disingenuous and pretentious in this thread and so I posted.

Bottom line is, it's true. Women are not, on average, as strong as men. Some jobs they can do well. Some jobs in the military they can do better, such as interrogating Muslim women. Problem is, our PC culture has affected the military and we are forced to play make believe and pay homage to the notion that female warriors are exactly the same as male warriors. Objectively just not true. I have no problem with women in any branch of the service. I have a problem with having to play make believe that there is no difference. Having said that, are we really ready as a nation, to watch a female aviator or other POW get raped on the internet by the same guys who behead men on the internet? Denying female opportunity is the cost of making sure that doesn't happen. If a woman can fly a helicopter better than the next best pilot, male or female, seems wrong to deny them the opportunity. Just be ready for the eventual cost and don't let it take away our will to win any more than if it were a male. To do otherwise would be sexist, would it not?

Now, perhaps the Coast Guard doesn't put women at such risk, but I want the most effective rescuer out there doing the job they do. No place for affirmative action in life saving. Maybe a woman is the best boat handler they have. Great! Give her the wheel. Just don't play make believe when it comes to what a specific female can and can't do.

That's funny, in the Coast Guard we find it "silly and pretentious" and "playing make believe" to pontificate on things that you know nothing about. Apparently it's different where you come from? I'll ask again, when did you serve and what exactly was it you did?

Let's in fact stop "playing make believe". You clearly came out of lurking (supposedly) for the sole purpose to rant about what you see as women inappropriately serving in the Coast Guard, that was the one thing you felt so important that you just had to chime in on here on a cruisers forum, to put women back in their place. You've decided, despite having zero experience in the Coast Guard, that you know that performing your job in the Coast Guard consists of either continuously running an obstacle course or tasks that closely approximate that, and you've decided that women are treated differently when being evaluate for these physically demanding jobs. All of which are completely false here in the real world, unlike the "make believe" world you've constructed. Most jobs in Coast Guard aren't terribly physically demanding, and in most cases the difference between an out of shape guy and a woman are minimal. Every job is evaluated for it's physical requirements. Rescue swimmers, for example, require extreme physical strength and endurance. The standards for rescue swimmers are identical no matter your sex (or even more implausibly your sexual orientation, you want to talk "silly and pretentious") and there is no question that the few women who make it through that school are fully qualified to perform that job. On the flip side, the ability to do an arbitrary number of pushups, lift an arbitrary amount of weight, or run at an arbitrary speed is largely irrelevant to a job like an aircraft mechanic or a pilot. Instead of an arbitrary tough guy mentality, the Coast Guard has decided to measure exactly what physical requirements exist for each specific job and measure against those. And each person is individually measured against the standard for their job if a physical standard is needed. Crazy, I know, really "silly and pretentious" and "make believe", far better to depend on averages and arbitrary standards to cut your potential workforce in half isn't it? And "are we ready as a nation", seriously? You're going to justify discriminating against half our population based on an again basically sexist idea that women are somehow inferior to men in the being tortured arena or maybe it's that men back home can't handle it? Also a big concern for us in the Coast Guard, btw. Hey, the 1950s called, they want their sexists back!
Of course you wouldn't know any of this because you're sitting at your desk having never experienced any of this but deciding you know best about it anyway and the people who actually put their life on the line doing those jobs are just "silly and pretentious". Noted.
Old 27-08-2019, 06:33   #44

Quote:
That's funny, in the Coast Guard we find it "silly and pretentious" and "playing make believe" to pontificate on things that you know nothing about..
Where I come from they have both men and women.

Quote:
Apparently it's different where you come from? I'll ask again, when did you serve and what exactly was it you did?
Soooo, those who didn't serve are not allowed to have an opinion about the relative strength, quickness and speed of men vs women?

Quote:
Let's in fact stop "playing make believe". You clearly came out of lurking (supposedly) for the sole purpose to rant about what you see as women inappropriately serving in the Coast Guard,
A simple search will confirm my first post was about another topic so...no. And you managed to include a straw man argument right next to a garden variety obvious falsehood.

Quote:
that was the one thing you felt so important that you just had to chime in on here on a cruisers forum, to put women back in their place.
See above.

Quote:
You've decided, despite having zero experience in the Coast Guard, that you know that performing your job in the Coast Guard consists of either continuously running an obstacle course or tasks that closely approximate that, and you've decided that women are treated differently when being evaluate for these physically demanding jobs. All of which are completely false here in the real world, unlike the "make believe" world you've constructed.
Straw man argument.

Quote:
Most jobs in Coast Guard aren't terribly physically demanding,
Review my earlier posts.

Quote:
and in most cases the difference between an out of shape guy and a woman are minimal.
Relevance?

Quote:
Every job is evaluated for it's physical requirements. Rescue swimmers, for example, require extreme physical strength and endurance. The standards for rescue swimmers are identical no matter your sex (or even more implausibly your sexual orientation, you want to talk "silly and pretentious") and there is no question that the few women who make it through that school are fully qualified to perform that job.
Then I would applaud same albeit skeptically since other services are reported as doing quite differently on the subject.

Quote:
On the flip side, the ability to do an arbitrary number of pushups, lift an arbitrary amount of weight, or run at an arbitrary speed is largely irrelevant to a job like an aircraft mechanic or a pilot. Instead of an arbitrary tough guy mentality, the Coast Guard has decided to measure exactly what physical requirements exist for each specific job and measure against those. And each person is individually measured against the standard for their job if a physical standard is needed.
Again, review my earlier posts. Again, straw man arguments on your part.

Quote:
Crazy, I know, really "silly and pretentious" and "make believe", far better to depend on averages and arbitrary standards to cut your potential workforce in half isn't it?
Same as answer above. You do understand straw man arguments are a form of lying?

Quote:
And "are we ready as a nation", seriously? You're going to justify discriminating against half our population based on an again basically sexist idea that women are somehow inferior to men in the being tortured arena or maybe it's that men back home can't handle it?
Again, review carefully the language in my earlier posts. Again, you are employing a straw man argument.

Quote:
Also a big concern for us in the Coast Guard, btw. Hey, the 1950s called, they want their sexists back!
Cute personal attack.

Quote:
Of course you wouldn't know any of this because you're sitting at your desk having never experienced any of this but deciding you know best about it anyway and the people who actually put their life on the line doing those jobs are just "silly and pretentious". Noted.
Again, straw man argument. Now if you are saying the Coast Guard is a meritocracy making no special concessions for any group, I will applaud them, if skeptically. May the rest of the services follow their lead.
Old 27-08-2019, 07:35   #45

Quote:

Again, straw man argument.
The irony is startling!
That’s all you do here. Clearly, you don’t understand the terminology (among other things).
Closed Thread