Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2021, 06:43   #1

Best paint for rode markings?

What is the best type of spray paint to use to make length markings on an anchor rode?

We have 100 feet of galvanized chain and 150 ft. of nylon plait. I want to mark at 50' intervals, so one or two marks will be on the chain, and two or three will be on the line.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what will stay put? I'd prefer to use the same paint on the chain and the rope; but I'd do them differently if the same paint won't stick well to both.

I will be using just one color, either black or red. if one color is more permanent than another, please let me know.

Any input would be most appreciated.
mainemandean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 07:00   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Best paint for rode markings?

We use zip ties (different colours: green 50'; black 100', yellow for intervening 25' intervals). Keep spares in anchor locker for the occasional needed replacement (1/month).

We find paint disappears.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 07:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
We use zip ties (different colours: green 50'; black 100', yellow for intervening 25' intervals). Keep spares in anchor locker for the occasional needed replacement (1/month).

We find paint disappears.
Thanks.

Is your rode going through a windlass? We have an electric windlass, and I'm thinking that might chew up zip ties, maybe even foul up the windlass. Otherwise, I really like the idea, because it's so simple.

Wait, I see you're a 41. You have to have a windlass! Is the windlass the primary culprit as far as the zip ties dying?
Old 13-04-2021, 07:27   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I use to paint my all-chain rode. I would just use fairly inexpensive car spray-can paint. I had to repaint every couple of season, but it was easy to do.

I've since gone to the zip-tie approach like sv_pelagia. I have a manual windlass, and they pass through fine, although they do get worn off over time. I just keep a collection of ties available and try and replace them when I notice their absence.
Old 13-04-2021, 07:32   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
Thanks.

Is your rode going through a windlass? We have an electric windlass, and I'm thinking that might chew up zip ties, maybe even foul up the windlass. Otherwise, I really like the idea, because it's so simple.

Wait, I see you're a 41. You have to have a windlass! Is the windlass the primary culprit as far as the zip ties dying?
No problem with zip ties and Lewmar V3 windlass. Yes, occasionally the ties come off due to windlass. Usually see it starting so we have advance warning.

We do have yellow paint every 25ft (no colour coding), so we know where the missing zip tie goes. After 1-2 years the paint is very faded, but visible enough to see it coming. Got tired of messy repainting every 2-3 years!
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 07:49   #6

Thanks, guys!
Old 13-04-2021, 08:46   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I spray paint the chain portion of my rode. It does wear, but usually stays visible on the inside of the links. I touch it up when we're on land over the winter.

For the rope portion of my mixed rode, I've been using Tulip ColorShot Instant Fabric Color. It's basically a spray dye for fabric. That seems to be an apply once and it's good for the life of the nylon rode type of thing.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 08:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I spray paint the chain portion of my rode. It does wear, but usually stays visible on the inside of the links. I touch it up when we're on land over the winter.

For the rope portion of my mixed rode, I've been using Tulip ColorShot Instant Fabric Color. It's basically a spray dye for fabric. That seems to be an apply once and it's good for the life of the nylon rode type of thing.
Thanks, man. I really like the sound of that dye!
Old 13-04-2021, 08:54   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

IMHO, best "paint" for chain marking are plastic inserts...
We successfully use (only) yellow inserts. One at 10m, 2 at twenty, 3 at 30 etc.
Yellow is bright enough to see in darkness, and if inserts are properly sized to the chain, they stay put for years.
If course, doesn't work for the line part if the rode.
Old 13-04-2021, 08:55   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Thanks, man. I really like the sound of that dye!

No problem! I can even recommend a color scheme: Neon orange and neon green. Orange marks count 25 foot increments, green marks count hundreds. So 1, 2 or 3 orange marks for 25, 50 or 75 feet. Plus green marks. That way each mark is readable on its own without needing to see what came before it. So 2 green, 2 orange is 250 feet, for example. And I have a series of black stripes dyed into the starting about 15 feet before the end as a "stop the windlass now" mark if deploying the full length.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:04   #11
PJS

Boat: 2008 40' Sea Ray Sundancer

I have used the zip ties and had difficulty seeing them (have a long bow). I found the paint is more visible, especially in dim light. Depending amount of use, the paint will last several seasons.
I use cheap hardware store paint in fluorescent colors. Get inside of the links as that area has little wear. I have not had an issue with the paint wearing on the rope portion of the rode. Tape both sides of the mark and saturate.
PJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
IMHO, best "paint" for chain marking are plastic inserts...
We successfully use (only) yellow inserts. One at 10m, 2 at twenty, 3 at 30 etc.
Yellow is bright enough to see in darkness, and if inserts are properly sized to the chain, they stay put for years.
If course, doesn't work for the line part if the rode.
I'm not familiar with chain inserts. Could you please post a link to a product like you use?

I might go with zip ties or inserts on the chain, then the dye on the rope.

Thanks.
Old 13-04-2021, 09:30   #13

I mark the chain and rode with white rustoleum at 50, 75, and 100 at about three foot lengths. The scheme works well in South Florida. I wouldn't try other colors because you can't tell the difference at night. Just count the white lines as they pass. And yea you have to paint it again every year.
standsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:31   #14

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
I'm not familiar with chain inserts. Could you please post a link to a product like you use?

Thanks.
Probably looking like these https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Osculati/Anchor-Chain-Markers/TBQ
I use them and not one has fallen off.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:37   #15

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:

Thanks.
What he said about the link to the link insert

We used paint but it didn't last and our Sherwin Williams ablative (slow-boat type - they have two)bottom paint is so superb we don't come out more than once every wreck or 8 years, which ever comes first, so can't easily repaint.

We went to zip ties in different colors, but as noted elsewhere they don't last very long, and are a bit of a challenge in pitch dark conditions.

Like others, we heavily mark ~15 feet from the end in order to not have the emergency line (easy to cut if needed to abandon - never have) fail and lose our expensive chain and anchor unwittingly!
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, rode