Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2020, 18:28   #31

Re: Bernard Moitessier Rounds Cape Horn

I just bought a Hutton 40 foot steel boat I was told it was made or designed by John Hutton in 1986. I'm looking for any information I can find out about him or the boat thank
Mauimelodylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 20:03   #32

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post

After seeing Moitessier's references to Marcel Bardiaux, I tried reading his book. Another early French sailing hero. It was horrid, could not finish it.

Interesting. I met Marcel in Troy, NY, on my way down the Hudson, he was going up river on his Inox (apparently he used to go to Quebec a lot), doing everything by himself, I mean de-rigging and unstepping the mast prepping the boat to go into the locks. I was very intrigued and eventually found his book.

What an awful translation, so unfortunate, I could not read it either.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 20:14   #33
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

re-reading 'The Long Way' right now by coincidence. He has some great nuggets of wisdom on boat gear in the end.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 14:02   #34

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

[When we got to Ahe in the Tuamotus Joshua was anchored in the lagoon. Bernard and his wife were living simply on shore in a thatched hut. Bernard was trying to get the locals to take up subsistence farming and not depend on the Copra Boat for their food. There was something to be said for that. We were invited to one of the islander's homes for dinner. It was a sumptuous meal with Poisson Cru, grilled giant clam, lobster, and green papaya salad.]
Wait RoverHi!! So you had dinner with Bernard M & his wife??!! that's amazng!
John aka NURDLE...you've come a long way since being land-locked in Indiana, now on an island in Florida with a boat that'll take you RTW...excellent choice!
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 08:40   #35

Hero of mine too. I was in the Carenage in Raiatia back in 1999/2000 but did not see Joshua. Yves Gelinas, manufacture of a pendulum self steering system called Joshua in honor of Moitessier was what I installed on our Beneteau 440.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 09:42   #36

As Tom Lehrer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Lehrer) once said, "It is a sobering thought to realize that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead four years."
wa1bda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 10:42   #37

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonauta1 View Post
Hero of mine too. I was in the Carenage in Raiatia back in 1999/2000 but did not see Joshua. Yves Gelinas, manufacture of a pendulum self steering system called Joshua in honor of Moitessier was what I installed on our Beneteau 440.
JOSHUA was swept ashore by a big storm in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in 1982. Bernard sold her on the beach, and her new owners re-floated her and got her sailing again. In 1990 she was sold again and relocated to the Maritime Museum in La Rochelle, France where she still sails today.

So, you wouldn't see her in any Pacific Islands in the 90's. His next steel boat, TAMATA is still in Raiatea, maintained by his last love, Véronique. That's from 2015 information, not sure if the situation has changed since then.
source: Les pérégrinations de Bara Gwin: Tamata
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tamata.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	208968  
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 11:09   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by briblack View Post
I saw his boat "Joshua" in the Carenage yard on Raiatea a few years ago. Place of pilgrimage, may still be there
No, she is at La Rochelle, France. At the maritime museum. Still red, still floating, a few bumps still evident on the hull.
jjjacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 11:16   #39

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
The math is suspect. I have an autographed copy of the Long Way. He is one of my heroes also, but very nearly incoherent at times.
In my humble opinion, I have always felt that Bernard's incoherency, (as it is quite often judged by others), is nothing less than modern man's inability to relate to Bernard's own spirituality, that was for eons the basis of human living. Somewhere along the way we lost that gift. I lost mine for years on the 405 freeway in L.A.; going to and from my cubicle every day. Fortunately I was able to extract myself from those trappings and now have lived aboard for 30 years. I've pulled my moldy copy of The Long Way off the shelf, and anywhere I open it gives me a little boost for the day.
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 17:22   #40
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandPebbles View Post
JOSHUA was swept ashore by a big storm in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in 1982. Bernard sold her on the beach, and her new owners re-floated her and got her sailing again. In 1990 she was sold again and relocated to the Maritime Museum in La Rochelle, France where she still sails today.

So, you wouldn't see her in any Pacific Islands in the 90's. His next steel boat, TAMATA is still in Raiatea, maintained by his last love, Véronique. That's from 2015 information, not sure if the situation has changed since then.
source: Les pérégrinations de Bara Gwin: Tamata
Does that boat actually have six shrouds on each side?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 22:50   #41

Boat: Najad 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjacq View Post
No, she is at La Rochelle, France. At the maritime museum. Still red, still floating, a few bumps still evident on the hull.

That is right. I actually moored on the boat next to her in a small river on the Golfe du Morbihan in Brittany. She is maintained by an association created for her preservation.

Thrilling moment to see her come along, still with a large bump in the starboard side of her bow.

That was my first navigation as a skipper 6 years ago. Igniting I should say. [emoji41]
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 00:38   #42

When I read Moitessier's book I wanted to go long distance sailing whitch I did 10,000nms. It was the same with Cousteau films I learnt to scuba dive.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote