Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 09:33   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV
Advice for ports sailing south along the east coast.

Normally we would be heading out across the gulf and going south to Nassau this time of year, but there isn't any "normal" this year.

Our plan now is to leave the Chesapeak and plunk our way down the east coast to Cape Canaveral seeing the sights on the way.

I am looking at stops at Beaufort NC, a familiar port to me, Charleston SC, also familiar, and then Savannah which we have never stopped at, continuing to Cape Canaveral which I spent a few hours fueling and provisioning one time.

We are 42 long, 26 feet wide, 4.5 foot draw, and 69 foot air draft. Can I get some recommendations on places to pull in, between the above listed, please?

I don't need fancy marina's and amenities, just places that might have natural beauty, cool history, or just a safe place to anchor and get a rest.

I thank you all in advance.

Cheers,

SV Fernweh
Old 06-11-2020, 08:05   #2
rlg

Re: Advice for ports sailing south along the east coast.

You might like St Augustine, Fla.
rlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:50   #3

Thanks I'll check it out.

Someone suggested South Port NC. That's midway between Beaufort and Charleston.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:16   #4

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Come inside (thru the locks) at Canaveral and go west on the barge canal to the Indian River, then head south. Lots of nice anchorages and towns along the way. You can get back outside at Ft Pierce. Once you get south of Cape Canaveral, the winters are warm & sunny.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Come inside (thru the locks) at Canaveral and go west on the barge canal to the Indian River, then head south. Lots of nice anchorages and towns along the way. You can get back outside at Ft Pierce. Once you get south of Cape Canaveral, the winters are warm & sunny.

He said his air draft is 65 feet.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:02   #6

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
He said his air draft is 65 feet.

He wrote 69 feet which simply won't work inside in Florida
Old 06-11-2020, 11:25   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
He wrote 69 feet which simply won't work inside in Florida
He also said he would be "plunking" down the coast and seeing the sights. It seems there a few inlets where he could come in, travel up or down the AICW, see some sights, but may have to make his way back to that same inlet to go back out.

Palm Beach Inlet looks like one of those places. Couldn't go north because of the Blue Heron Bridge, but could travel several miles south through bascule bridges. Take in the sights and then head back to Palm Beach Inlet to go back out.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:29   #8

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
He also said he would be "plunking" down the coast and seeing the sights. It seems there a few inlets where he could come in, travel up or down the AICW, see some sights, but may have to make his way back to that same inlet to go back out.

Palm Beach Inlet looks like one of those places. Couldn't go north because of the Blue Heron Bridge, but could travel several miles south through bascule bridges. Take in the sights and then head back to Palm Beach Inlet to go back out.

True- I was attempting to point out that entering at someplace like St. Augustine and going south past Cape C towards Jupiter won't work all inside
Old 06-11-2020, 12:02   #9

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 32

Cumberland Island is a good place to check out....unique history, beautiful scenery, and a quiet and convenient anchorage. I’ve never run the inlet, but I understand St. Mary’s inlet is one of the better ones on that stretch of coast. The town of St. Mary’s is a good place to visit also.
bigdogandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 21:04   #10

Thanks a bunch.

Cumberland Island looks fantastic.

Yes, we are air draft 69 feet. This is why we are coastal cruising towards Florida. Either make the decision based on Covid requirements and head to Bahamas or keep going to Dry Tortugas.

Cheers all.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:08   #11

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
The OP reports a 69’ air draft, which rules out the Indian River section. I agree with a stop in Savannah, and with the earlier recommendation for a stop at St. Augustine, America’s oldest city. The St. Augustine Municipal Marina has a large, well maintained mooring field, and it’s nearly in the heart of this historic town.

At stop in Port Orange / Ponce Inlet / Daytona could be fun, too, but inland waterway travel would need to be well planned out due to the mix of drawbridges and fixed bridges with a clearance of 65’.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:59   #12

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

In that case, his only option might be to go west on Barge canal thru two bascule bridges, to Harbortown Marina. But check with Harbortown for vertical clearance on overhead cables between the locks and their marina on the barge canal, not shown on charts!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:08   #13

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

I just spent over a half hour describing all the inlets and the stops that I have made over the years up and down the East Coast. When I tried to post it the site said that it had logged me out! WHY DID IT DO THAT?!
I am not going to type at all in again
DOCKDOC - if you are interested you may PM me.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 07-11-2020, 10:25   #14

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

Cumberland is definitely a must stop, anchorage is only about an hour from the outer edge of the St. Mary's jetty. The inlet is Class A. That's why the Kings Bay nuclear submarine base is there. The inlet can be rough with an outgoing current against an onshore wind (like most inlets). I came in the inlet once and was having a rough ride similar to cowboy Bob breaking a wild mustang. I noticed an outbound sailboat hugging the north jetty and he could have had a martini it was so calm. He was obviously a local boy and in a back eddy beside the jetty. Rent a bike and tour the island including the historic Carnegie mansion.
Visit the quaint town of Fernandina. Also St. Simon Sound about 30 miles to the north is also worth a stop. This will provide access to the beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia. The Morning Star Marina on St. Simons Island has a courtesy car. So many great places to see.
Enjoy your trip
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:30   #15

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Every place has cool history when you dig for it.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, ports, sail, sailing