Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 13:28   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Central America/Mexico - Commuter Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsailor32 View Post
Personally I wouldn't rely on any marina. There are always exceptions but in the marinas I've been in for any length of time (Marios, Mar, Suzannas) from what I can tell monthly maintenance is a joke. I can tell when someone is about to arrive because although I didn't see any activity beforehand all of a sudden workers are swarming all over the boat. I hate to count the number of people I've seen arriving only to find their batteries are dry, engine work needed due to not being started regularly, mold/mildew down below, etc.

Best thing to do is to ask around, find some individual you can trust (preferably a gringo). Pay them a monthly fee (maybe $20'ish) to follow a checklist. Have them verify via email each month that months items were checked.
Gee, sounds a lot like a business here .... coincidence?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 13:42   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mazatlan marina and la cruz marina are decent--the lil businesses that hire out the work, i noticed, only spring into any kind of action just before the owner's arrival--in many cases that is good and ok--with some boats, special care is needed for teak wood care. isnt done. oh well. have adequate covers for the wood and hire a boatsitter who is a cruiser--vet that individual well,and good luck. salt the decks before leaving for any length of time so they remain decent in rains.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 14:33   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Gee, sounds a lot like a business here .... coincidence?
Not sure... I wasn't aware there is such a (independent?) business. If so it would make sense as it would sure fill a needed hole.

I'm certainly not putting a plug in for any particular business/anyone. I wouldn't know anyone to recommend anyway as I don't leave my boat for an extended time so I've never had the need. I just have a 'Park & Fly' friend that hired someone such as I suggested. It seems to be working out far better than the $25/mo extra he was paying Mar Marine for nothing.
Westsailor32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 15:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsailor32 View Post
Not sure... I wasn't aware there is such a (independent?) business. If so it would make sense as it would sure fill a needed hole.

I'm certainly not putting a plug in for any particular business/anyone. I wouldn't know anyone to recommend anyway as I don't leave my boat for an extended time so I've never had the need. I just have a 'Park & Fly' friend that hired someone such as I suggested. It seems to be working out far better than the $25/mo extra he was paying Mar Marine for nothing.
Yes, there is such a business here on the Rio and your post was almost a punch list for what they do...that's why I asked.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24   #20

As of 4/2012 there are new rules and costs for boats that check in/out of (Rio Dulce) Guatemala now.

To check in and out within 3 months is Q2600 total (approx $330 USD).

You can extend your 3 month permit for another 12 months for Q1800 (approx $230).

At the end of the 12 month extension you must leave Guatemala for 90 days (until this year it was 72 hours)

There is no longer a 'per day' fine for an expired permit. If you fail to renew your permit, allow your permit to expire it is a $500 USD fine or the option to import the boat.

The above is information provided by the local agent and include his fee. Of course doing it yourself would be a few dollars cheaper.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
As of 4/2012 there are new rules and costs for boats that check in/out of (Rio Dulce) Guatemala now.

And, Guatemala is getting stricter about out-of-date paperwork. I expect this is going to cause some issues for all those cruisers here on the Rio with WAY expired papers.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:48   #22

Not just expat cruisers. Raul (local agent) tells me there are some Guatemalans jumping thru hoops for their Delaware registered power boats as well (ask him how he got his new iPhone
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
Not just expat cruisers. Raul (local agent) tells me there are some Guatemalans jumping thru hoops for their Delaware registered power boats as well (ask him how he got his new iPhone
Yes, I know a few Guatemaltecos who this is going to effect. Their usual routine has been just to run to Belize for Semana Santa, but if the officials enforce the 90 day rule then it might be a good time to open a marina in Belize or Honduras!
Old 02-11-2012, 13:15   #24

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor

Yes, I know a few Guatemaltecos who this is going to effect. Their usual routine has been just to run to Belize for Semana Santa, but if the officials enforce the 90 day rule then it might be a good time to open a marina in Belize or Honduras!
Maybe now the hole in the ground south of the placencia airport will get finished.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America, cruising