Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 20:14   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Schengen rules have changed

"Isn't it like holding up a BIG flag saying: "WE DON'T WANT YOU?" "
I don't know, Stu. Having grown up and lived most of my life on an island overwhelmed by damned transients who never go HOME...I give the EU great credit for having the cohones to say "You had a fine vacation, NOW GO HOME."

A cynic might think the 90 day period was put through by and for the airline industry, who obviously make twice as much money if you have to come twice as often to cover the same amount of ground.

Or, it could be a plot by the Duchy of Grand Fenwick. You know, incite the Americans into INVADING and then sue for peace. Of course, that might backfire on them if the Chinese decide to invade first. Or, the Russians. "Today, Crimea. Tomorrow, Monte Carlo!"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 15:28   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Schengen rules have changed

Hey. Whatever about Crimea , the Russians have already overrun Monte Carlo

Dave
Old 22-03-2014, 06:25   #18

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
seems like most countries are the same. USA requires a visa for longer than 90 days, Australia as well..
Yes, but the USA has a mechanism (B-2 Visa) that can be obtained for longer stay. And Australia makes it extremely easy for cruisers. Easy as pie to obtain a 12-month multi-entry visa for Australia. Cost around $150, if memory serves. There is no provision whatsoever for longer stay Schengen visa. And obtaining longer stay visa in individual EU country is a joke. We certainly could not do it for Italy. Will be checking with the Spanish consulate for a possible 90-day visa the next time we visit our home country, because American friends who crossed the Atlantic last December were hassled in the Canaries because they were over the 90-days allowed per Schengen. Not fined or passports stamped illegal alien but received verbal reprimand.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 12:19   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I am pretty sure many have posted before about this nonsense, but I'm not sure if anyone has asked the basic question of why do they do this?

Doesn't it make it harder for boaters? And doesn't it discourage "tourism?"

Sorry about the basic dumball question, but, basically what the heck is the prupose of this seeming nonsense?

Isn't it like holding up a BIG flag saying: "WE DON'T WANT YOU?"
errm. It's because the USA applies even worse rules to Europeans. Tit for tat.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 13:41   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"errm. It's because the USA applies even worse rules to Europeans. Tit for tat. "

What kind of evil Europeans can't get a longer than 90-day visa to travel in the US? Please, do let me know so I can take that up with my CongressCritter.

And it isn't quite tit for tat, since the EU consisted of many nations last time I looked, a proper tit-for-tat would be saying that Europeans couldn't stay in the entire North American Free Trade Zone for more than 90 days. Canada, Mexico, and the US, all combined and well beyond the borders of one nation.
Old 22-03-2014, 14:39   #21

Imagine if the Association of Caribbean States decided to limit foreigners to 90 days, but exempted Americans and Canadians. Boy oh boy the belly aching from across the pond would be audible.

Bottom line, for any non-EU cruiser is Schengen is an absolute travesty and a shame. 90 days and get out or hang out in some fantastic vacation ports like Libya, Egypt or Israel...
:rollseyes:

And I'm curious as to what Europeans are having problems. After my years living in Europe, I've yet to have one of my many friends from the EU have any trouble whatsoever with staying in the states for long periods of time.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 04:56   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"errm. It's because the USA applies even worse rules to Europeans. Tit for tat. "

What kind of evil Europeans can't get a longer than 90-day visa to travel in the US? Please, do let me know so I can take that up with
A European who arrives in a leisure boat without a current visa stamp in his passport. ESTA rules don't apply unless you arrive in US by "approved means of transport"

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 10:15   #23

Schengen is an idiocy that will help the demise of the EU.
http://www.dw.de/swiss-vote-to-stem-...ems/a-17420750
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 15:19   #24
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Schengen is an idiocy that will help the demise of the EU.

http://www.dw.de/swiss-vote-to-stem-...ems/a-17420750

the EU is in effect a series of federated or confederated states, not unlike in a lot of cases the US. There are differences of course.

A key part of that fact is there are no internal borders between those states ( and some other affiliated states ).

Hence the concept of immigrating into a particular EU country is in effect gone.

As a result the border is now around the outside of such states. You are in effect immigrating into one country.

the fact that a handful of cruisers are affected is IRRELEVANT. Who the hell care that 50 people a year are discommoded when 370 million are benefiting. Please get a grip.

Comparisons with nafta are not applicable , each of these states retains a border with immigration controls.

When I go next to the NE US , whine , how come I can't get 90 days in Vermont, Connecticut, New Hampshire , etc etc whine whine

Ps. Yes there should be a long stay visa like the B1 etc. but currently there are significant national issues in having a standardised long stay visa.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23-03-2014, 15:30   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jim-
"A European who arrives in a leisure boat without a current visa stamp in his passport."
I'm not clear on what you are saying. That folks who did not bother to get alonger visa, cannot simply get one on or after arrival? Or that visas for more than 90 days are not allowed to folks arriving by private yacht?

Dave-
"the fact that a handful of cruisers are affected is IRRELEVANT. Who the hell care that 50 people a year are discommoded when 370 million are benefiting. "
Actually cruisers have nothing to do with the problem. I know folks who have taken motorcycle trips in Europe that lasted more than 90 days. Backpackers. Hikers. All kinds of folks who were doing a low-budget "grand tour" of the same kind taken since at least the 1800's.
90 days may help keep out the gypsies, tramps, and thieves...oh wait, that's so PI now these days, isn't it? Still...cutting off all tourism at 90 days surely isn't going to stop illegal immigration. Or be the best way to address it. (Doesn't work in the US, either.)
Old 23-03-2014, 15:43   #26
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jim-
"A European who arrives in a leisure boat without a current visa stamp in his passport."
I'm not clear on what you are saying. That folks who did not bother to get alonger visa, cannot simply get one on or after arrival? Or that visas for more than 90 days are not allowed to folks arriving by private yacht?

Dave-
"the fact that a handful of cruisers are affected is IRRELEVANT. Who the hell care that 50 people a year are discommoded when 370 million are benefiting. "
Actually cruisers have nothing to do with the problem. I know folks who have taken motorcycle trips in Europe that lasted more than 90 days. Backpackers. Hikers. All kinds of folks who were doing a low-budget "grand tour" of the same kind taken since at least the 1800's.
90 days may help keep out the gypsies, tramps, and thieves...oh wait, that's so PI now these days, isn't it? Still...cutting off all tourism at 90 days surely isn't going to stop illegal immigration. Or be the best way to address it. (Doesn't work in the US, either.)

The 90 days EU visa waiver period was picked in reciprocation for the US 90 days visa waiver scheme.

I for example had great great difficultly regaining my B1 for the US , because as a visa waiver country I was repeatedly refused. Immigration don't like visa waiver immigrants using a B1

Yes , it would be nice to have a long stay Schengen visa, but given the data protection issues, the lack of demand for long stay tourist visas and the time it took to agree the first acquis. I won't hold my breath.

The 90 days is nothing to do with illegal immigration. It's a consequence of the removal of internal borders. As a person who regularly flies from a EU non Schengen area to an EU Schengen area, I just wish the UK and Ireland would cop themselves on and join, and I could kiss passport control goodbye.

There is no evidence of a significant change in US cruisers in the Med ( for example ) in the last ten years of Schengen. There were few in the 90s there are few today. It's not Schengen that is the cause I would venture.

Dave

Old 23-03-2014, 16:34   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

(...) this nonsense, (....)

And doesn't it discourage "tourism?"

(...)
Not much more nonsensical than say US or AUS visa requirements.

And you are right about tourism. I say if a non EU citizen can afford living in the EU and can produce a fat credit card, they should be welcomed with open arms.

I believe re-writing Schengen has nothing to do with sailors, tourists, Westerners nor with evidently growing EU red tape. It looks more like the Union is trying to protect its Easter/Southern board.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 16:38   #28
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

And you are right about tourism. I say if a non EU citizen can afford living in the EU and can produce a fat credit card, they should be welcomed with open arms.

I believe re-writing Schengen has nothing to do with sailors, tourists, Westerners nor with evidently growing EU red tape. It looks more like the Union is trying to protect its Easter/Southern board.

b.

The Schengen rules were (are being ) rewritten to remove the effect of the Bot ruling from the EU ECJ. France lost that case , hey presto law gets changed ! In effect it does not really change anything or effect anyone.

Dave

Old 23-03-2014, 16:41   #29
cruiser

[QUOTE=hellosailor;1497929

Or, the Russians. "Today, Crimea. Tomorrow, Monte Carlo!

[/QUOTE]

... And much more. Every single central and South American country, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Philippines, Mexico, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Serbia, Diego Garcia, Okinawa...

...Ah, those nasty Russians
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 16:42   #30
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.

EUROSUR is actually the border screening and immigration cooperation aimed at southern Eau countries and the problems of African illegal immigrants

Dave

Tags
rule