Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2016, 18:13   #16

Re: Wanted - 40'(approx) Blue-water live-aboard

Someone else said it best, but will say it again: never buy a boat that needs work. You will spend time working rather than sailing. Buy a boat as ready to go as you can afford. Since you are willing to pay a quarter of a million, there are tons of boats from high quality yards that just need provisioning. Try an Oyster.
Old 20-11-2016, 04:53   #17

Boat: Amel Sharki 39

Dennis:
I captained/maintained an Amel Sharki for the better part of 10 years; solid blue water pedigree and in exceptional shape for a 1984. She is for sale since the owner is dealing with some serious health issues. Under $90K. I know first hand that he has put over 40K into the boat over the past couple of years. Circle back with me if you'd like more info. She is currently on the hard in City Island NY. Good Luck with your search.

Scott
Old 20-11-2016, 08:29   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Sailor View Post
We have a well equipped Bruce Roberts Designed Offshore 44 that went through a refit in 2010/11 and has become too much for us.
It is in Langkawi, Malaysia and is listed under Icicle1.com as well as other boat selling ad sites.
We are on board now decluttering hopefully for a new owner. We left in 2000 for an around the world trip but got caught up with refit and hull work. It just became too much for us. Needs some cosmetic help at this time but is a solid cruiser with one of the nicest hulls around.
Check it out.
We also have a center cockpit, modified Offshore 44. She is a delight to sail. I love the pilot house when the weather turns foul and for winter sailing.
Old 20-11-2016, 08:58   #19

Boat: Seapiper 35

Check out http://svgrendel.com

http://passport40grendelspecifications.wordpress.com
Old 20-11-2016, 19:42   #20

Boat: Amel Maramu 46

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my original post. Clearly the message is not to buy a project boat!

Based on the replies I received we have refined our list of 'wants' and 'needs' to include the following:

1. Monohull - 38-45 foot that has been well maintained and equipped/suitable for extended blue-water passage-making
2. Integrated fin keel (not more than 2m draft) with skeg mounted rudder
3. Pilot house/deck saloon design/style - my Jeanneau DS43 was perfect as it gave all-round visibility from the saloon and plenty of natural light
4. In-mast furler - I know this is a contentious issue but I sailed for over two years with this system and never had a problem ... infinite sail settings meant I could balance the boat very easily
5. Based on the replies I received it appears that we should budget up to US$100k.

As we are currently located on the East coast of Australia it was suggested we have a look at what is available in SE Asia (Thailand) which is only a 5 hour flight away . Otherwise we'll be returning to Canada in April and will continue our search in the US.

Any further comments or advice would be welcome.

Cheers - Dennis
Old 20-11-2016, 20:18   #21

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

Have you seen this Roberts 44?

Used Roberts 44 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

or this
http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...-cairns/175266
Old 21-11-2016, 06:06   #22

Boat: 42' Ketch

I have a 42' custom built, blue water cruiser for sale. I can send pictures and details to you email address.
Please email me at joan.engst@gmail.com
Regards,
Joan
Old 21-11-2016, 07:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffsguy View Post
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my original post. Clearly the message is not to buy a project boat!

Based on the replies I received we have refined our list of 'wants' and 'needs' to include the following:

1. Monohull - 38-45 foot that has been well maintained and equipped/suitable for extended blue-water passage-making
3. Pilot house/deck saloon design/style - my Jeanneau DS43 was perfect as it gave all-round visibility from the saloon and plenty of natural light
4. In-mast furler - I know this is a contentious issue but I sailed for over two years with this system and never had a problem ... infinite sail settings meant I could balance the boat very easily
5. Based on the replies I received it appears that we should budget up to US$100k.

As we are currently located on the East coast of Australia it was suggested we have a look at what is available in SE Asia (Thailand) which is only a 5 hour flight away . Otherwise we'll be returning to Canada in April and will continue our search in the US.

Cheers - Dennis
think you need to adjust your expectation or your budget.
Old 21-11-2016, 10:58   #24

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:

Cheers - Dennis
Those are personal preferences that I can therefore not comment, except that they are very close to my preferences. To me that looks like a good list of properties of a strong and safe boat for cruising (i.e. not necessarily the fastest and lightest, but one that is comfortable, stable and safe).

As already noted, you may need to make some compromises on the age, condition, size or US$100k price of the boat.

In the US$100k price category hiring a good surveyor is a good investment (to make sure that all the expensive parts of the boat are ok).
Old 30-11-2016, 01:59   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Offshore, 38

Hello

Cheoy Lee Offshore 38 49 000€

Check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/CheoyLee38/
Old 30-11-2016, 09:56   #26

Boat: Beneteau First 38

I have a nice 1985 Beneteau First 38 currently located in the Rio Dulce. I have had her for 13 years and have configured her to single hand from the cockpit.
I do have photos on this site of upgrades over the years.
I have relocated to the PNW and don't want to relocated her here
Have a look and let me know if your thoughts.

Cheers

Caribsailor
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Old 16-02-2017, 11:58   #27

Boat: Hunter 450

Recently posted on this site, CruiserForum classifieds, Hunter 450 Passage. Yes, in-mast furler, and less than 2m draft. With the larger Yanmar 75hp, and in your dollar range.
Old 16-02-2017, 12:21   #28

Thanks Road Town and to others who have shared their ideas. I've just come back from looking at an Amel in SE Asia but was unfortunately overbid by another buyer ... so we're still looking!
At this stage there are three brands in the 45ft range that appear to be closest to our requirements - Amel, Tayana and Hallberg.
Our search will continue after I arrive in the US and Canada in April.
Old 16-02-2017, 12:43   #29

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Thanks Road Town and to others who have shared their ideas. I've just come back from looking at an Amel in SE Asia but was unfortunately overbid by another buyer ... so we're still looking!
At this stage there are three brands in the 45ft range that appear to be closest to our requirements - Amel, Tayana and Hallberg.
Our search will continue after I arrive in the US and Canada in April.
Can you fit Nauticats in your criteria and budget?
Old 16-02-2017, 12:52   #30

Thanks Juho, I wish to focus on the three brands I mentioned in my last post for the moment.
Closed Thread

Tags
wanted, water