Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-12-2015, 14:01   #1

Budget cruising grounds: Sea of Cortez vs Florida/Bahamas?

Hey Everyone,

I have been looking towards cruising for many years and scrapped and reworked my "plan" at least three time due to life events. Divorce, failed investments and the like.

The grandiose dreams of a 40' cat in my 30's for a circumnavigation have devolved into looking at how to spend 1-3 months a year cruising a bit closer to home. Today's dream boat is more likely an older 32'-35' monohull.

As we are developing enough of a "Plan D" that we can see actually being able to purchase another boat nest year we have begun talking about destinations.

Last winter we spent a month in San Carlos Sonora in our 5th wheel and fell in love with the place. We do love spending time in Mexico. The idea of cruising the Sea of Cortez is quite appealing. San Carlos is also relatively easy & inexpensive to get to. Lastly, moorage, storage and provisions are relatively inexpensive.

The alternative we are looking at is Florida & the Bahamas. I have spent plenty of time in Florida and enjoyed my time there but I have never been to the Bahamas. I have dreamt of cruising & diving there. I am intrigued.

I cannot speak to moorage costs but I have found dry storage that is not horribly expensive. Provisioning in Florida is a bit more expensive than Mexico. Is it reasonable to expect to buy 90%+ of your consumables in Florida for Bahamas cruising?

I know that cost is far from the most important factor in choosing a cruising ground. However, given two attractive options, the lower the overall cost of a destination the longer I can stay in a season.

What can you all share with me as far as actual cost and your personal observations of the two destinations?

Thanks

Steve
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, budget, cruising, florida, sea of cortez