Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 12:41   #16

Boat: Slocum 43
Re: Xantrex inverter charger freedom 20

HI Symphony,

It could be possible. I do not have the expertise in batteries to confirm. I am going to open the unit today and replace the fuses. The solar regulator went as well on the same day. I was actually at a battery wholesaler (different issue with a car) and asked there for recommendations for someone so I thought that was safe, as this is not a large town and word will get out if someone is not performing as they say or are willing to compromise their integrity for a quick buck.

Cheers,
Sean
the dude abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:47   #17

I wish David. I have looked at the connections and they appear solid and fixed. Everything was working fine before this day, so I know it has something to do with the day it was tested. Unfortunately, I am learning batteries the hard way. My concern now is that this may impact the health of the batteries
Cheers,
Sean
Old 08-02-2018, 13:14   #18

Boat: Tartan 4400

I had the same problem...here is what we found...and how it was resolved.

"Found 110v AC BUS 1 circuit breaker tripped off and in locked position. Reset circuit breaker and checked charging system. Charger works properly. Delivers 95amp / 13.95 volts for all batteries."
dksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 13:40   #19

Hi DKsail,

Alas it is not the 110 tripping. Although it did trip at one stage but this issue is resolved.

Cheers,

Sean
Old 08-02-2018, 13:57   #20

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
Is it possible that your battery expert disconnected the bank from everything while testing it, and then did not succeed in reconnecting everything once the load test was done? Maybe one of the big safety fuses was blown during the load test.

Test for continuity from the charger to the batteries to ground, etc.
Seeing how both the solar charger and the Freedom 20 stopped at the same time right after the expert looked at it, taking a look at your connections should be the first place you start.

If you post some pictures of your set up it would help us help you.

Is there some type of disconnect for the solar and Freedom20? Battery switch or large current limiter (fuse, breaker) that he may have switched off/removed?
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 14:00   #21

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 South View Post
Sean

There is a 0.5amp 3AG glass fuse inside on circuit board #2. Open up the unit (disconnect all power first) and locate the fuse, replace and it should start charging again. I had the same problem. I modified mine and put a chassis mounted holder on the case and wired it back to the internal fuse holder incase it happened again. Of course it hasn't!!
My Freedom 20 hasn’t worked since hurricane Harvey went through. My solar was inoperative for a while too. I have gotten by with my wind and solar in the meantime, but have not been able to solve my charger/inverter problems.
I can not find anything in the owner’s manual or installation manual about a fuse. Is it difficult to access? I will be back on board this evening and will try to find it.
Old 08-02-2018, 14:17   #22

HI Opie91,

I am about to leave for the marina and get to work on this. I shall take relevant photos and will come back to update tonight (it is early morning here now). I was hoping to find something similar to what you mentioned. I have tried all sorts of things at the master AC switchboard but to no avail. There was however a redundant switch for the old generator. This switch was turned on and tripping the 110. I had not come across this before. The 110 is not tripping now. I have had this boat for 8 months – and 6 months of that I was on the marina working long days so in many ways still learning systems. Never had an issue before though with the batteries, till someone did a health check on them for me.
Cheers,

Sean
Old 08-02-2018, 14:21   #23

Same issue here Rigdaddy. I did not see anything about a fuse in manual. I will be back tonight with an an update.

Best of luck,

Sean
Old 09-02-2018, 12:42   #24

Hi everybody,

I changed the fuse. Fuse is located just behind the 2 flashing lights left hand corner. I waited for about an hour. I am now back in business.

With the solar I unscrewed the wires leading into the regulator from left to right, and then screwed them in from right to left, came back on with a accurate reading. I assume to be an accurate reading but it is functioning as it should be instead of reading error.

Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

All the best,

Sean
Old 09-02-2018, 16:09   #25

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Hey Sean,

I have a Xantrex 30 but they should be the same except the output.

I have not read any mention of the Xantrex Xanbus system digital control? If you have one chances are the expert turned off the charging function to test batteries.

If you don't have one, spend the $165. It's a game changer on monitoring your inverter, charger, batteries, A/C input and output from gennie, solar, shorepower, etc.

Here's a link.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Xantrex...jqeniramsegdoh

Good luck,

Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:37   #26
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Dude,
Thank you for reporting the fix you made on this thread.

I think I will watch The Big Lebowski tonight.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:04   #27

The dude abides my friend - a great movie

Cheers - Sean

Tags
charger, inverter