Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 13:23   #61

Re: Rutland 1200 wind gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant View Post
An interesting artical, but lacking in detail about the conditions under which the test was conducted. The Marlec test, at least what they told me, was conducted on the roof of their building in uninterrupted air. Not the real world in which I use a wind turbine. As I have stated before, I have found the turbine better than the Aerogen 6 and way better than the smaller Rutland. I still don't like, and can't seem to eradicate, the transmitted noise. I'm still working on it.
The smaller Rutland is also heavier, therefore it's wind alignment will be easily compromised when rolling at sea.

I'd be interested in long-term data, e.g. how many Ah was produced during a 3week ARC run (=trade winds provided...) or few months on a swinging mooring.
Old 28-03-2018, 01:34   #62

Boat: vagabond 41
Send a message via AIM to vagrant

My system, which works for me, entails the use of solar power through a Victron mppt regulator. In southern climes and a British summer that supplies the bulk of my power. The wind generator supplements it whilst stationary but substitutes it whilst sailing. Crossing the Atlantic a number of times my old Aerogen supplied easily all my power and I am certain this one will also. The best time to cross the Atlantic is well before or after the ARC. The sea isn't so cluttered up with boats. Not my scene.
vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 08:18   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
I have been working on one for the last 2 weeks doing tests.

Performance quoted in sales literature is over rated. Its not a proper test into a dummy load. Empty batteries will show more charge, nearly full ones will show little charge.

Blades are quiet, but electrical growl transmitted through pole is substantial, but can be isolated with elastomeric mounts.

MPPT controller not working, but great support from Rutland means another one on its way for testing.

Temporary fix of 3phase bridge rectifier has seen good output, about the same as D400, but better than Aero6Gen and Airx in same anchorage.
What was the problem with the controller? How did it manifest itself?
Old 26-11-2018, 22:03   #64

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38
Send a message via Skype™ to SV Luckyfish

Here is a video just published showing a mast head installation of a Rutland 1200. As far as blade noise goes Rutland have done a great job keeping noise right down (inaudible or barely audible at deck level in typical trade winds). We have a knocking sound we are still trying to get to the bottom of and the hum others have talked about here. Based on the really useful suggestions to improve our mounting system in the comments below the video, I think we can resolve 80% of the slight humming sound.

www.svluckyfish.com
SV Luckyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:09   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Luckyfish View Post
Here is a video just published showing a mast head installation of a Rutland 1200. As far as blade noise goes Rutland have done a great job keeping noise right down (inaudible or barely audible at deck level in typical trade winds). We have a knocking sound we are still trying to get to the bottom of and the hum others have talked about here. Based on the really useful suggestions to improve our mounting system in the comments below the video, I think we can resolve 80% of the slight humming sound.

I hope that you sorted the knocking noise. The hum is a different kettle of fish. I have quietened mine down to an acceptable level, but I don't think it will ever be totally silent. I think that maybe the people who say that there system is quiet probably don't have an after cabin to sleep in.
I reached the relatively quiet state by ensuring that neither pole or supports have any straight through fixing bolts. All is rubber isolated. I can send pictures if you wish.
Old 08-02-2019, 13:23   #66

Boat: Y40

Looked at the Rutland 1200 at the Helsinki boat show today. Have 150W solar panels connected through a MPPT regulator to my 315 Ah house bank, which isn't contributing much to our daily consumption of some 100 to 150 Ah. While at anchor am therefore frequently forced to use the engine for charging.

The question is - How many Ah/day can you (in average) expect to get from the Rutland 1200 considering that many of the anchorages we visit are in sheltered areas with rather weak wind? Although more expensive, maybe a fuel cell charging system would suit us better?
ChrisseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 15:45   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisseH View Post
Looked at the Rutland 1200 at the Helsinki boat show today. Have 150W solar panels connected through a MPPT regulator to my 315 Ah house bank, which isn't contributing much to our daily consumption of some 100 to 150 Ah. While at anchor am therefore frequently forced to use the engine for charging.

The question is - How many Ah/day can you (in average) expect to get from the Rutland 1200 considering that many of the anchorages we visit are in sheltered areas with rather weak wind? Although more expensive, maybe a fuel cell charging system would suit us better?
I linked a good test before, long story short: max your SOLAR... (little help: 1m/s = 2kts)

Old 09-02-2019, 02:38   #68

Boat: Y40

This means that a wind generator is mainly useful during sailing and at anchorages where there is at least 6 m/s of average wind. And even in windy conditions the wind in a sheltered anchorage tends to be so variable that it will be hard to reach 6 m/s in average.
So GTom, you are right, to increase the solar capacity is the way to go. And if there is limited space, use fuel cell charging as an option. Fuel cells are quiet and works well also in dark, but are expensive and requires special fuel.
ChrisseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:57   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisseH View Post
This means that a wind generator is mainly useful during sailing and at anchorages where there is at least 6 m/s of average wind. And even in windy conditions the wind in a sheltered anchorage tends to be so variable that it will be hard to reach 6 m/s in average.
So GTom, you are right, to increase the solar capacity is the way to go. And if there is limited space, use fuel cell charging as an option. Fuel cells are quiet and works well also in dark, but are expensive and requires special fuel.
It's horses for courses. What suits one is not necessarily right for another. On my boat I have solar and a Rutland 1200. However I also have all led and a super efficient fridge plus modern radar which are more power efficient. I don't go in marinas so am always anchored or occasionally on a buoy. I have never had to start my engine solely to charge batteries. So to have a combination charging system of wind and sun is important. The sun gives me by far the most imput,but boy do I appreciate the wind generator when the weather front comes through. Also it's wonderful whilst sailing. I wouldn't be without it, but couldn't rely on it for my sole power source. It complements what I have.
I don't have a deep freezer or water maker or large inverters to power household electrics. So as I said earlier, it's horses for courses. I've lived on my boat and cruised extensively since 1976. I hope that helps.

Tags
rutland, wind