Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 14:26   #16

Re: Mobile Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrant1 View Post
Can the Honda EB2000I be plugged into the boat's shore power port using a marinco power cord to power the outlets while charging the battery bank?
Yes. If you want the 30amp plug, buy the companion model. Or you can use an adapter and the regular (non-companion) model.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 14:34   #17

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Our Honda had the 30 amp style twist outlet so that the shore power cord could be directly plugged in. If the generator only has a standard 20 amp outlet, an adapter pigtail to allow connection of a 30 amp cord is available. This is how we have always used the generator. We also made an adapter so we could run off our dinghy fuel tanks for extended runs. The Trawler Beach House: Extended Use Tank For A Honda Generator In 4 Easy Steps . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 14:34   #18

Boat: Beneteau OC 41

Is the charger self-regulating or do you have to monitor the process to avoid overcharging the battery?
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 14:48   #19

Boat: H36

I plug mine from 12 amp plug into the shore power 30 amp plug. Simple works well if you only need 2kw.
My charger is a 40 amp three stage, works at dock and with the Honda.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 14:54   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The onboard 12vdc supply on Honda and similar gensets should not be used to charge batteries in all but the direst emergencies. Not only is it unregulated, it is also inefficient.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 14:58   #21

Reefmagnet, So better to run the engine to recharge the batteries and use the portable generator how; just to plug into the ac outlets?
Old 13-02-2016, 15:27   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Reefmagnet, So better to run the engine to recharge the batteries and use the portable generator how; just to plug into the ac outlets?
Better to use the AC outlet on the generator to drive a battery charger.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 15:31   #23

Quote:
It's a good idea to have a battery charger for shore power. Just plug the generator into the shore power socket on your boat, using an adaptor as discussed above if need be.

So, something like this...
Generator -> Shore power socket -> Battery Charger -> Batteries.

I can charge at a max 50 amps continuous with my Honda 1000 and Sterling charger. These are an efficient charger. Some other brands can only charge to about 30/35A max from the same genset because they aren't as efficient. During the charging cycle this peak output usually tapers off rapidly as the batteries approach full charge. This is what makes a genset a good alternative to running the main engine for charging batteries if the engine is not going to concurrently perform other functions. Much more economical, and running diesels for extended periods at light loads can lead to glazed bores.

I would also argue the above can eliminate the need for a dedicated starting battery as well, allowing you an increased housebank size (split into 1-both-2 banks as a precaution, though). This is the system I use with success on my boat which has limited room for batteries.
Old 13-02-2016, 16:26   #24

I think we're on the same page (which makes me fear for your mental stability ;-)). I will have the charger, the shore power outlet, and the generator.
Old 13-02-2016, 16:30   #25

Boat: H36

😊⛵️

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 17:24   #26

Quote:
I think we're on the same page (which makes me fear for your mental stability ;-)). I will have the charger, the shore power outlet, and the generator.
If you go for the smaller Honda like the 1000 unit just ensure it has enough output to power an existing charger if you already have it installed. Best way is to take your charger spec and ask the genset guy and/or vice versa with the charger guy if you aren't sure how it will work together. Failing that, you can always ask here :-)

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-02-2016, 03:37   #27

Quote:
Can the Honda EB2000I be plugged into the boat's shore power port using a marinco power cord to power the outlets while charging the battery bank?
Sure but the generator won't put out anything close to the 30amps the plug is labeled as.

I believe the 2000watts is peak output (as in a few seconds or minutes, don't remember which). It's only rated for 1600watts continous or about 13amps.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 03:47   #28

Oh great, another person who will ruin an anchorage and poison themselves with CO.
I had to listen to one of those rattletraps one night on the ICW. The guy was using it to run a spaceheater. Sounded like someone was mowing the grass. There was no wind, and it ruined our sleep. I have an 18' boathook, and if we came close enough I would have knocked it into the water. Keep your honda's and other brand portables at home.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 04:05   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
Oh great, another person who will ruin an anchorage and poison themselves with CO.
I had to listen to one of those rattletraps one night on the ICW. The guy was using it to run a spaceheater. Sounded like someone was mowing the grass. There was no wind, and it ruined our sleep. I have an 18' boathook, and if we came close enough I would have knocked it into the water. Keep your honda's and other brand portables at home.
If they are poisoning themselves with CO, no worries...they will only do it once, so your sleep is protected. Reality is a few simple precautions and they are safe to use.

If it sounds like a lawn mower, it isn't a Honda/Yamaha inverter style generator as it being discussed. Now if it's a cheap contractor style generator, thats a bit different. Then again, if they were running a space heater, odds are you had your windows closed at most it should be a very low hum.

Some of the comments about generator or traveling under power baffle me. Are sailors really that sensitive to noise? How do sailors survive in the regular world?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 04:15   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If they are poisoning themselves with CO, no worries...they will only do it once, so your sleep is protected. Reality is a few simple precautions and they are safe to use.

If it sounds like a lawn mower, it isn't a Honda/Yamaha inverter style generator as it being discussed. Now if it's a cheap contractor style generator, thats a bit different. Then again, if they were running a space heater, odds are you had your windows closed at most it should be a very low hum.

Some of the comments about generator or traveling under power baffle me. Are sailors really that sensitive to noise? How do sailors survive in the regular world?
We could see it from our deck. At the time we had no generator, and had thought about getting a honda. That night sold me on a proper installed generator. It was nearly silent, until the space heater kicked on. Then it went into lawnmower mode, like all hondas do. They rev up, and create a racket. Sailors want a quiet anchorage. Thats just how we are. We don't travel a thousand miles so that we can share the location with loud people. At the dock I expect noise, in an anchorage, I do not. We have a 1" thick fibreglass hull, but hondas under load are LOUD.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, mob