Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2020, 16:03   #16

Boat: Nautitech Open 40
Re: How much space under a flexible solar panel?

I am posting this reply for any future references to this topic.

I installed 4 Sunpower 170W Flexible panels directly on the fiberglass hard top of my 2016 Open 40 Nautitech. After a year, I removed one of the panels and noticed 10-15 gelcoat blisters the size of a dime to a quarter. Just underneath the panel. eMarineSystems has recommended the installation of 8mm polycarbonate double wall sheet like the ones used in greenhouses. I will be installing these soon and see how it works out.
cmartine97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 22:17   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473

I just finished installing 4 of the 170 watt E-Flex SunPower panels on top of my bimini. For a stiff backing material I also used the Lexan Thermoclear which is available at Home Depot and was the least expensive price I found. It runs about $80 for a 4' x 8' sheet. (Lowe's carries the same Lexan Thermoclear; $160 per sheet!!) I required two sheets to get the four backing pieces I needed -- pretty expensive and a little wasteful but I needed the stiffness for a different reason than mounting them on the deck... I needed to mount them on my bimini.

There was not enough bimini real estate to fit these four panels on the area of the bimini's canvas, and I could not have done this with the weight of glass panels. So here is my crazy solution. I framed two flexible panels using aluminum extrusions with a channel groove that allowed me to slide in the two panels (with a center divider frame) and slide in the backing panels of Lexan "Thermoclear". Now I have two large panels each large frame holding two 170 watt SunPower panels. I guess you could say now I have rigid flexible panels! (ha!) Framing them allowed the panels to hang over the aft of the bimini a foot or so. Funny; they look like I have glass panels up there.

Each 340 watt "pair" weighs in at 25 Lbs, nearly half the weight of ONE glass panel. So now my bimini has 680 watts of solar on top of it. I could not have put this much wattage on my bimini with glass panels because of the excessive weight, and would have had to go the expensive route of building a custom arch.

I think you'll be pleased with the Lexan Thermoclear as a backing material. It has channels of airways running through it and runs fairly cool. I'd leave the ends unsealed to allow airflow through it when deck mounted.
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 00:41   #18

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
I just finished installing 4 of the 170 watt E-Flex SunPower panels on top of my bimini. For a stiff backing material I also used the Lexan Thermoclear which is available at Home Depot and was the least expensive price I found. It runs about $80 for a 4' x 8' sheet. (Lowe's carries the same Lexan Thermoclear; $160 per sheet!!) I required two sheets to get the four backing pieces I needed -- pretty expensive and a little wasteful but I needed the stiffness for a different reason than mounting them on the deck... I needed to mount them on my bimini.

There was not enough bimini real estate to fit these four panels on the area of the bimini's canvas, and I could not have done this with the weight of glass panels. So here is my crazy solution. I framed two flexible panels using aluminum extrusions with a channel groove that allowed me to slide in the two panels (with a center divider frame) and slide in the backing panels of Lexan "Thermoclear". Now I have two large panels each large frame holding two 170 watt SunPower panels. I guess you could say now I have rigid flexible panels! (ha!) Framing them allowed the panels to hang over the aft of the bimini a foot or so. Funny; they look like I have glass panels up there.

Each 340 watt "pair" weighs in at 25 Lbs, nearly half the weight of ONE glass panel. So now my bimini has 680 watts of solar on top of it. I could not have put this much wattage on my bimini with glass panels because of the excessive weight, and would have had to go the expensive route of building a custom arch.

I think you'll be pleased with the Lexan Thermoclear as a backing material. It has channels of airways running through it and runs fairly cool. I'd leave the ends unsealed to allow airflow through it when deck mounted.
Great idea... I hope it adds to the lifespan.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:43   #19

Quote:

Pictures please!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:55   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I just finished installing 4 of the 170 watt E-Flex SunPower panels on top of my bimini...
Yes, I'd love to see the pics, too.

This is exactly what I'm hoping to do with my Bimini one of these days.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar