Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 18:16   #16
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Crimper for AWG8

Most 12v compressors <10a draw with 8awg you can safely run 40’. Above 8@40a good up to 10ft @3% drop.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 18:20   #17

Boat: Pearson 323

Amazon sells a nice hand powered hydraulic press with an assortment of interchangeable dies at a reasonable price. I bought one when I added my second battery bank, 12 volt water maker, solar array and wind generator. Paid for itself quickly.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 07:11   #18

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

All,

Thanks for you comments - I ended up ordering the crimper from mainsail. I went that way because it also does the powerpole crimps which I also need and I hate having extra tools on the boat when it can be done with one.

Some of you asked what this is for - currently it's for the wire on the fridge. The manual calls for AWG8 for the wire run I have. Yes the current isn't that high when it's running, but being a motor the start-up is quite high, so this inrush can cause too much of a voltage drop. (I saw this with the poor connections on the wiring I'm replacing)

Mark,
I'm actually in Kingston now due to Covid (returned from an extended trip). Historically I would have borrowed a tool from or done the crimp at the Chandlery....
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 08:43   #19

Boat: 37' Tollycraft Sedan

Don't buy this one from Amazon Canada:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Being newly retired and I can't just bring one home from work anymore so I thought it was time to own my own crimper for wires larger than 10 gauge.

I used it for 1/0 and it worked great but then I used it for #6 and I could just pull the crimps off.

Unless I'm missing something, if you look at the picture below, it says #6 is 16 sq mm.

According to this chart ( https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/a...uge-d_731.html ) #6 is 13.3 sq mm. In fact every crimp except 1/0 is looser than it should be according to the wire size chart. 1/0 crimps to 50 sq mm but is really 53 sq mm so it is nice and tight.

Of course it's too late to return it and I can't find a link to the manufacturer. That thing about getting what you pay for.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimper.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	231395  
Perdiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 08:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdiem View Post
Don't buy this one from Amazon Canada:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used it for 1/0 and it worked great but then I used it for #6 and I could just pull the crimps off.
Late to this thread. Just a suggestion: If you're stuck with the tool, you could try grinding a bit off the touching parts of the #6 dies, so that they will close a bit tighter.

I just ordered the "welding cable" lug crimper which is on sale at Princess Auto for $50, til end of May. In Ontario, anyway. It has dies for #6 to 4/0.

(doesn't have #8. Sorry, OP)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 08:56   #21

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I've been using one or these for a few years. Works really well and simple to use with virtually no force required on my part to make a good crimp. Its relatively small so can be used in tight spaces and can be used single handed right up to the last few pumps.

https://www.amazon.ca/IBOSAD-Hydraul...s%2C182&sr=1-6
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote