Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 03:22   #16

Re: China to Panama

the Super Servant company is Dockwise Home :: Dockwise Yacht Transport

also try Peters & May Global boat transport | Yacht Shipping | Ship Boats | Boat Shipping | Boat Transport
Old 28-04-2013, 09:43   #17

Boat: BOATLESS !!

Hi Hoppy...
Are you sending this message to me ?...cause' I'm not shipping a boat...!?
Old 28-04-2013, 11:43   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Antigua View Post
Hi Hoppy...
Are you sending this message to me ?...cause' I'm not shipping a boat...!?
Nope, to the OP incase they want to check out the Dockwise option
Old 28-04-2013, 12:07   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

as the boat needs to be sailed,the best route would be via singapore the the north indian ocean,mozambique channel,cape town,arriving in the carribean some time in march,this would also be a down wind route,so minamal wear and tare as opposed to the windward north pacific/southern ocean route,and very little time spent in cyclone prone areas.

i may be free nov- march to skipper,send me a pm and we can talk,100,000miles plus experince skippering
Old 28-04-2013, 12:26   #20
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Please listen to Atoll. It sounds longer but the wear amd tear and actual cost will be less.

Regardless of the direction hopefully you have in mind that the delivery distance is huge and part of your cost will be a serious overhaul of running rigging, sails, diesel etc. You dont move a boat that distance for only the cost of diesel and crew.

I am surprised that you have been told that you cant ship the boat, even if you have to sail it to a port that specializes i shipping yachts utilizing specialized ships.

The intangible costs you will incur on a boat that large to move it that distance are enormous.

However it may a situation of if you have to ask you cant afford.

I guess one could look at it as a shake down cruise.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 28-04-2013, 23:20   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
......the best route would be via singapore the the north indian ocean,mozambique channel,cape town,arriving in the carribean some time in march,this would also be a down wind route,so minamal wear and tare as opposed to the windward north pacific/southern ocean route,and very little time spent in cyclone prone areas.....
.....100,000miles....
I agree a South Pacific route is quite a bashing… especially for a Cat, so would definitely advise your downwind route over that.

However, if he had new build delays I would still consider a May- June 2014 departure China-via Japan to Seattle or San Fran via a North Pacific Great Circle route, staying in the prevailing 15knt Westerly zone as the Pacific High establishes itself.

Advantage of then following West Coast NA to Panama Canal and entry to Caribbean, is that it lends itself to supplies/crew changes and refuge ports

Did not measure, but I am guessing 15 to 20,000 nm by comparison

A lot would depend on my initial assessment of boat and whether it is ready for a 100k offshore delivery past the Cape.
Old 29-04-2013, 11:11   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I agree a South Pacific route is quite a bashing… especially for a Cat, so would definitely advise your downwind route over that.

However, if he had new build delays I would still consider a May- June 2014 departure China-via Japan to Seattle or San Fran via a North Pacific Great Circle route, staying in the prevailing 15knt Westerly zone as the Pacific High establishes itself.

Advantage of then following West Coast NA to Panama Canal and entry to Caribbean, is that it lends itself to supplies/crew changes and refuge ports

Did not measure, but I am guessing 15 to 20,000 nm by comparison

A lot would depend on my initial assessment of boat and whether it is ready for a 100k offshore delivery past the Cape.
my route via seyshells,is only 2000 miles longer,but is actually 10 days faster,using 7knots via the s pacific windward run in nov.

@hong kong to antigua=10763 miles @7knots=64 days

as opposed to the downwind route where the boat would probably average 10 knots.
@ hong kong,to antigua=12909miles@10knots=53days,

this would be 11 days faster ,avoid the south pacific cyclones and be a much genteler trip with minimal motoring,passing the cape mid summer and potentially arrive 2 weeks earlier than a bash across the pacific if the voyage must be undertaken in november.

a may-june crossing ,the north pacific route of course would be best,but that was not the question,the question was about a departure in november,mid winter in the n pac,and cyclone season in the s pac!
Old 29-04-2013, 12:05   #23

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

I would second those encouraging shipping. Check out Peters & May, call Vic Spellberg in their Lauderdale office. They are a British company that specializes in yacht shipping, especially as deck cargo, all over the world. They have a Hong Kong office and should be well versed in shipping from China. Easiest and fastest (and probably cheapest) way to get your boat to the Caribbean.

I have no relationship with them other than as a satisfied customer.
Old 01-05-2013, 13:35   #24

Boat: 67' fabulous cat
Thanks to all the posters!
The shipping co previously mentioned can do it, for 120, 000 usd. And it will only take about a month, so that is good.
Not sure which is the better way to go? The 120 is to Victoria bc...I asked gor that and panama. Waiting for a quote on that as well, for at that time of year its a better fit for my scheduling.
Any thoughts on which is a better way to go? I just have no idea!
Old 01-05-2013, 14:11   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to Sailingsoon1959
Please contact Louis at 247sailing. Com he can do the job got the captains and the exp alot less money and your boat will be in great shape
Louis@247sailing.com
Old 01-05-2013, 14:33   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidersmama View Post
Thanks to all the posters!
The shipping co previously mentioned can do it, for 120, 000 usd. And it will only take about a month, so that is good.
Not sure which is the better way to go? The 120 is to Victoria bc...I asked gor that and panama. Waiting for a quote on that as well, for at that time of year its a better fit for my scheduling.
Any thoughts on which is a better way to go? I just have no idea!
if your end destination is panama in dec-jan-feb,having the boat in bc will not do you any favours,a winter delivery to panama from bc could be quite risky due to bad weather off the west coast.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:52   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: China to Panama

Personally I have no interest in the job..
however if I was.. I'd go for Atolls route.. or pretty damn close to it if under sail... to much crap going the other route... and downwind she should fly...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-05-2013, 20:04   #28

China to Panama

I am willing to offer my services as a first mate. I have RYA Yachtmaster offshore qualification and PADI Dive Instructor too. Currently I am working as a skipper for 33 feet catamaran so I have experience on cat. I have over 4500 sailing miles and am good a night watches and navigation.

I am sending my CV for your reference and should be available anytime from November 2013.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:09   #29

If it to Panama only then a NE'ly passage thru the N Pacific is the way. But November is too late. More like June as a poster above said. Fairly easy trip. No typhoons until Mexico.

But it is probably to the Caribbean, no? So W is the better way.

Reading between the lines ... This is a shakedown cruise on a new Chinese built yacht. If your experience is like others before you, you won't make it to even Taiwan before major service is required. You'll need a sense of humor to survive. Shipping as deck cargo had better be to a major yachting center because the first few miles may be more than interesting.

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2013, 19:38   #30

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Definitely go for Atholl's route: you'll also save the delays and cost of a Panama Canal transit.

I'd love to do it, have second qualified skipper and mate, know most of the route having sailed it (except the Cape Town Antigua leg), have many long distance catamaran deliveries under my belt including 2 transats - and although money doesn't appear to be a problem - can cetainly do it for considerably less than the shipping quotes! Tony

Tags
China, Panama